Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #61
stevenjotello
stevenjotello began at the beginning.

Device: none
Blegh, find a nice TTF is more difficult than I thought. In theory, I'd be a nice TTF Garamond, but is too small and thin (without contrast ago) or too big for my taste.
stevenjotello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #62
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
¿Thats works in kindle2?
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #63
grownupboy
Enthusiast
grownupboy has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle
hey got this working - georgia looks amazing on my the kindle!

one thing - i noticed that my k3 (firmware 3.02) no longer displays my books in the right order. have sorting set to "newest first" and it shows my dictionaries at the top of the list and the book i'm reading just above "archive items".

deleted the book and reloaded it and the same thing... did i do something wrong or is this a side effect of mucking with the fonts?

thanks for your help!

g
grownupboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #64
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
grownupboy:

Check the time on your kindle? Out of order books happens when the time gets out-of-whack. It can be set in the Settings Pages. Also you can force a sync, too.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:03 PM   #65
grownupboy
Enthusiast
grownupboy has learned how to buy an e-book online

hi ff2...

time is fine, and i did try to resync. didn't help. this only happens after i try this particular font hack. my books show up below the dictionaries... weird.

g
grownupboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:30 AM   #66
kindlefonts
kindlefonts began at the beginning.

changing line spacing in reader file

Does anybody know how to change the line spacing in that reader file. The Default is line spacing = 1 . I need to make it smaller. Thanks!
kindlefonts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #67
InnovateME
InnovateME began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3G
I have a problem with device after try this method:

I can't open any book (txt, pdf, awz) kindle says

"The selected item could not be opened. If you purchased this item from Amazon, delete the item and redownload it from Archived items available in Home"

Ps Kindle 3G international, hw 3.1
InnovateME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:38 AM   #68
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@InnovateME: The Kindle software doesn't like your font, try another, or try the full font hack with an FT override.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #69
kevinpars
Connoisseur
kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Seeing something strange!!

I used this hack on my last K3 which I recently had to get replaced because it froze for an unrelated/unknown problem.

Anyway, when i did the hack on the replacement - basically followed the same steps as documented by NiLuJe here, i got a very interesting result.

It worked fine and my replacement font looked good. But when I pressed the Aa button to adjust the font size I saw some strange options I had not seen previously. I will try to show here what I am seeing:

Typeface std sans mono alt
Line Spacing 112 125-small 136-med 150-lg 162

Words per line and the rest of the options were the same. What was weird was that I could change the line spacing and realized that there were more options than previously and that I could now switch between my new alt font (I had chosen dejavu), mono - which looks like the standard ugly font seen on green and black screens), sans - which looks like the standard kindle sans option and std - which looks like the default kindle font.

I went to settings and checked to see if I was on the latest version or if something new had come out because this is kinda weird. If NiLuJe wants to follow up, I will gladly send you some pictures i took of what i displayed above as well as a copy of my reader.pref, which I will also display below:

#User preferences for Reader Booklet
#Sat Jun 11 10:01:23 EDT 2011
FONT_SIZE=31
LINE_SPACING=2
DICTIONARY=Oxford Dictionary of English
JUSTIFICATION=full
ALLOW_USER_FONT=true
HORIZONTAL_MARGIN=28
LAST_BOOK_READ=/mnt/us/documents/A Clash of Kings A Song of Ice a-asin_B000FC1HBY-type_EBOK-v_0.azw
FONT_FAMILY=alt
kevinpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #70
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@kevinpars: Not unusual, some of the 'hidden' ALLOW_* settings trigger this change in the Aa menu.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #71
kevinpars
Connoisseur
kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder why Kindle just doesn't offer multiple fonts - I can't imagine it would be cost prohibitive.

I think that the option to Aa and compare the new loaded font with the default fonts is cool - and as long as you have Aa open I can switch from one to the other, but once I select the existing font and close Aa, it permanently removes the custom font so you have to go back in and edit the file again.

Thanks again for coming up with this easy and non-hack hack that allows users to experiment with different fonts and for your other work in the Kindle community!
kevinpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #72
niceboy
Enthusiast
niceboy began at the beginning.

Yes, what would be a good font... something more like a classic paperback font.
niceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceboy View Post
Yes, what would be a good font... something more like a classic paperback font.
I think Times Roman would be a classic paperback font. No idea how good it would look on your K3 though.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #74
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
edit...post deleted

Last edited by max99; 08-30-2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: found answer from earlier post
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #75
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I find Amasis looks really nice on kindle. I got it out of the nook app for iPad (jailbroken) and edited it to add more weight. My kindle looks like a very good paperback now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-57019.gif
Views:	1281
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	75932  

Last edited by Barty; 08-31-2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: added screenshot
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote