Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2006, 03:07 PM   #1
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
Getting Title & Author Displayed by Connect Reader and Sony Reader

I am, a newby-first week with Sony reader-love it except for format issues with carriage returns and font size (extra CRs and type too small).

I have some books in .rtf when I first tried to transfer/copy them to the reader, the title wasn't shown in Connect Reader (on Win XP) and instead of the correct author being shown, it showed my name in a format I typically use to register software during install of all kinds of software.

I have tried to use Book Designer to mark the title and to mark the real author correctly (Book Designer has a Corrector feature that I think does that).

I highlight the title then click on the the button label marked "title" and do same similarly for author. If I then save the document as a .rtf (same fotmat as original) I might get the title to show in Connect Reader but as large bold font, and no author is displayed. If I use Book Designer to convert from .rtf to .lrf ( the Sony Format that BookDesigner supports) I still get similar problems of title & author missing or incorrectly shown. If this is the wrong forum to ask for help using BookDesigner as tool to prepare book for Sony Reader-please excuse. All I am trying to do is get Connect Reader to display Title and Author correctly.
Is there another program that I should be using other than BookDesigner 4.0 with 05/06 updates?
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:31 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
If you have MS Word, you can make rtf's and fix the extra CR's with a mass replace. I do it like this... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0958#post40958

From Word, you can also change the file properties to customize the title and author as you wish.

For me this has been the easiest method, but when time allows I really want to try all the great tools that people have come up with. They look to be pretty spectacular. Another cool one to try would be geekraver's tool for RSS feeds.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2006, 03:37 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, Vienna01. The "Content" subforum might be a better fit, but since you're also after BookDesigner info, this should work well enough for you.

I can't speak to BookDesigner as I don't use it, but I can offer a tip or two before you get there.

The first one would be to bump your font size in Word before you the text anywhere else -- general consensus seems to fall in the 16 to 18 point range, you'll have your own preference to go by, but that's probably a good starting place.

Also, you can set the title/author info in Word, under the File=>Properties menu. That should get you a step or two closer to where you want to go.

And maybe save the folks who know about BookDesigner a line or two of text when they happen by.

You might want to run a quick forum search in the meantime (if you haven't already), as you may turn up some of the info you want faster that way.

Again, welcome to MobileRead, it's a great resource, and a great place to hang out, to boot.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:56 AM   #4
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
Thanks-Using Ms Word was SimpleFix

I do have Word so I asserted the properties for title and author there-I did not know that anything other that Word used them. I saw some other suggestions for size of page & font size(16-18) and tried to use them where they did not cause line breaks and CR problem. Still need to understand how best to format books for the reader. I'm now using RTF file type for all my books loaded on reader. I convert to it.
... thanks to you all, I am well on my way
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote