Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
Best PDF Convertion Tool

Hello,
I just got my Kindle DX on Christmas and I want to convert some PDFs that I have on my computer to Kindle format.

I've already tried Mobipocket tool, but if I try to convert a PDF with a huge formatting, as Thinking in C++ or ViM Book, you got a very unreadable book, because the images got big, the two columns disappear and you got wrong text at the wrong place. As you can see an example at Kindle PDF conversion – View PDF on Kindle.

Then I want to know where I can find a good tool to convert this types of PDF to Kindle format.

Best Regards,
Nathan Paulino Campos
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Campos View Post
Hello,
I just got my Kindle DX on Christmas and I want to convert some PDFs that I have on my computer to Kindle format.

I've already tried Mobipocket tool, but if I try to convert a PDF with a huge formatting, as Thinking in C++ or ViM Book, you got a very unreadable book, because the images got big, the two columns disappear and you got wrong text at the wrong place. As you can see an example at Kindle PDF conversion – View PDF on Kindle.

Then I want to know where I can find a good tool to convert this types of PDF to Kindle format.

Best Regards,
Nathan Paulino Campos
It's called Adobe Acrobat Professional. Works great *and* is less filling!

I usually 'export' to html (4.01) and run the resulting files through Mobipocket Creator. But sometimes I have to pull everything out as rtf or even txt - not often, though.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 01:05 AM   #3
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I don't understand why you'd want to convert these from PDF to another format. For a highly technical book, PDF is the best format to use, and the Kindle DX reads PDFs natively.

(I actually think PDF--if properly made--is the best format period, but I guess that has few adherents around here.)

If you want to remove the margins to make it slighty easier to read, try soPDF. If you want to split the columns on to separate sheets, try PaperCrop.

Acrobat Pro will not do a good job with the kinds of books you're talking about. Actually, nothing existing will, and it would be unreasonable to expect that anything should.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks very much for the Adobe Pro suggestion, but I'm going to stick with the freeware suggestions. Principally because I'm a Ubuntu Hardy Herron fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous
I don't understand why you'd want to convert these from PDF to another format. For a highly technical book, PDF is the best format to use, and the Kindle DX reads PDFs natively.
I want to convert they, because as they are only images of pages(as every PDF is), the fonts on my Kindle, got too much small and difficult the reading.

I like your signature, that is a parody of Visa ads, principally the Micro$oft part
Old 12-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Campos View Post

I want to convert they, because as they are only images of pages(as every PDF is), the fonts on my Kindle, got too much small and difficult the reading.
I don't understand why you say this. Most PDFs are not images of pages, though some are.

In any case, the tools I've suggested there, and others, can make the font size larger. If I can use these to make PDFs readable on my Sony PRS-505, surely you can make them readable on your much larger Kindle DX.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
Nathan Campos
Groupie

Thanks very much!