Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-20-2016, 09:43 AM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'll sometimes write a Flash Fiction piece that relies upon mood.

One of my favorite writers of Flash Fiction is Donald Wandrei, who captures the very essence of what I am also attempting when I write weird pieces.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:45 PM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Just ran across this wonderful story again and re-read it a few times.

I love this story it's only about 500 words and it's just almost perfect!

I Used to Live Here Once by Jean Rhys
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2016, 07:25 AM   #18
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Just ran across this wonderful story again and re-read it a few times.

I love this story it's only about 500 words and it's just almost perfect!

I Used to Live Here Once by Jean Rhys

I was NOT aware of this piece.

Thanks for pointing out this one!
Old 04-23-2016, 07:30 AM   #19
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I was NOT aware of this piece.

Thanks for pointing out this one!
I first read it in an anthology - "Telling Stories" edited by Joyce Carol Oates.

Which sort of covers the gamut from flash to poetry to classic short stories..... and is subtitled "An Anthology for Writers."
Old 04-24-2016, 10:15 AM   #20
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Excellent.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2016, 02:21 AM   #21
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'm thinking of writing a short book on the writing of Flash Fiction. I also have a set of 50 stories (that need to be edited) in a Scrivener file that are all Flash Fictions. I used to be part of Pam Casto's Flash Fiction workshop (it was done via email) way back around the turn of the century. lol. Flash Fiction is a lot of Fun. You can even make longer pieces out of a series of Flash Fictions. "Fast Fiction" by Roberta Allen is a book on writing Flash pieces and there are several books over at Smashwords on writing Flash as well.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:14 AM   #22
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I'm thinking of writing a short book on the writing of Flash Fiction. I also have a set of 50 stories (that need to be edited) in a Scrivener file that are all Flash Fictions. I used to be part of Pam Casto's Flash Fiction workshop (it was done via email) way back around the turn of the century. lol. Flash Fiction is a lot of Fun. You can even make longer pieces out of a series of Flash Fictions. "Fast Fiction" by Roberta Allen is a book on writing Flash pieces and there are several books over at Smashwords on writing Flash as well.

Make it HAPPEN!

Make it happen NOW!

Old 04-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #23
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Make it HAPPEN!

Make it happen NOW!

Which?
Old 04-25-2016, 07:52 PM   #24
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Which?
Get those 50 pieces in shape and create an ebook!

I'll buy a copy.

Right now, I say!
Old 05-02-2016, 12:06 PM   #25
kennyc

Interview with Mark Budman editor of Vestal Review at The Short Story:

Quote:
Hi Mark, thank you for speaking to TSS.

My pleasure. Thank you for giving me this opportunity.

Let’s jump right in and ask what it is you love about Flash Fiction?

People cite brevity as a main attribute of flash fiction. On the surface, it’s the most visible attribute, but to wit, it’s not its soul. Brevity alone is never enough. Otherwise “I want sex” or “Let’s eat” would be shining examples of flash fiction. So what I love about it, is its contradictory nature: by accepting an apparent handicap (length limitation), flash fiction writer achieves the intensity that rivals only poetry while having an edge over its rival thanks to its narration. It’s like Ginger Rogers “doing everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.”

Like most fiction, short and long, a flash is based on what I call a tripod: plot, characters and language. Remove one leg of the tripod, and the flash will collapse. Except that flash is a small tripod. Think tabletop but not a celestial telescope support.
http://www.theshortstory.co.uk/tss-f...w-mark-budman/
Old 05-02-2016, 08:58 PM   #26
kennyc

The latest issue of Flash Fiction Online is out: http://flashfictiononline.com/main/

A couple of great stories. All are good.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:28 AM   #27
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The latest issue of Flash Fiction Online is out: http://flashfictiononline.com/main/

I subscribe to this now, thanks to you!

Old 05-04-2016, 12:35 AM   #28
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Thanks for the link.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:29 PM   #29
kennyc

I've been rereading last years The Best Small Fictions anthology the last couple of days.

Just re-read this one and found it on line: Before She was a Memory by Emma Bolden
Old 05-04-2016, 08:54 PM   #30
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

There are some good books on writing it over at Smashwords by HarveyStanbrough.