Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
NigelS
Enthusiast
NigelS doesn't litterNigelS doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Sony reboots while re-formatting a Book

I have several lrf books (converted from MS LIT format using libprs500) loaded on my Sony prs505. When I load it for the first time it formats in the small font size. I then routinely force the book to also re-format for Medium & Large fonts. Usually this works OK, but I have several lrf files that crash (cause the reader to cold reset) when it is formatting the fonts.

Annoyingly, sometimes this happens during the Large font cycle, having successfully created the SMall & Medium font-sets. Obviously, everytime this happens I loose the previously built font-sets and I am forced to re-create them all again.

Anyone else get this problem? Is it a problem with the Sony eReader software? Or perhaps something wrong with the converted LIT file?

NigelS
NigelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
How big is the converted file? I used to have a reboot or two during reformatting and it always involved relatively large files (>10MB).
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2008, 09:39 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Note that if you transfer the book using Sony's "Connect" software (or whatever they're calling it this week) then it will do the pagination for you, and should avoid the problem.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The root cause is bad algorithm design in the SONY reader software. Basically it runs out of memory while re-formatting. Some kinds of LRF files (those with a lot of TextBlocks for e.g.) have a tendency to stress the algorithm more than others.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
NigelS
Enthusiast
NigelS doesn't litterNigelS doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Thanks all for the input.

All my converted LIT files are relatively small (ca. 1MB).

It's also annoying that the reader only flows flow from Small -> Medium -> Large (IOW you can't go back from Medium to Small without going through Large which in this case causes a reboot!).

@HarryT
I will try downloading the book via the Sony Connect app; but I have a feeling this won't help because I noticed another severe problem here when I imported the file into the Sony Connect library in order to use that app to view the LRF file onscreen. It seems that if you import "iffy" LRF files into Sony Connect's library, the program can crash everytime you subsequently restart it. (I had to delete and rebuild the program library database before the program would start properly again!).

NigelS
NigelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2008, 08:10 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are you using the current 0.4.33 version of Libprs500? I've never had an issue with lit2lrf when it says it's successfully completed. I do use eBook Library to move content onto my 505 so the pagination is already done by my computer and not by the 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote