Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you prefer separate KF8/Mobi or combined KF8/Mobi eBooks uploaded to MR?
Separate KF8/Mobi formats? 8 42.11%
Combined KF8/Mobi format? 11 57.89%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
KF8 only or combined KF8/Mobi

There is a thread started on uploading eBooks in KF8 format.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2098490

I've uploaded the very first KF8 only eBook. My question is what do you prefer? Do you prefer separate KF8/Mobi eBooks or would you prefer combined KF8/Mobi?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I think it is in bad taste and form to upload a KF8 only book.
  • Doing so thumbs your nose/beak at all the Kindle owners who do not have a KF8 capable reader/app
  • Those who have at least one reader capable of reading KF8 and at least one that is not will be forced to use only the KF8 capable reader
  • Even if you upload two versions, one KF8 and one mobi, the two versions cannot be Whispersynced as one but will be treated as two distinct books. So if a person reads the KF8 version on her/his Fire and the mobi version on her/his K3 they will have to maintain two separate sets of bookmarks, notes, and locations read to. That would be a major PITA.

The only exception I can think of would be a book that requires significantly complex formatting that is only available through KF8. I can think of NO exceptions for novels, short stories, et cetera.

My thinking is that mobi should be offered for at least 2 or 3 years after Amazon stops selling mobi only readers. Amazon is still selling mobi only K3's and DX's. A few years down the road when few mobi only readers are still operating then KF8 only could become the norm.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-31-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Advert
Old 05-31-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Doesn't really matter to me at all. I only download epubs and then convert to the format my readers can handle.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
As a downloader... I just can't take the time to care, really. I don't have a device that reads KF8 or ePub, but 9 times out of ten, I'm going to download the highest quality format and whip it into the shape I want for my Kindle anyway. That means more than likely, I'd start with the KF8 or ePub format. Whether the KF8 version comes with the fallback mobi version included, doesn't really matter to me in the least.

As an uploader... I'm always going to provide an optimized combo version in case the reader doesn't have the skills (or desire) to diddle with the formatting. Those it does matter to, can always strip out the mobi portion if it bugs them.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-31-2012 at 02:09 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Is there any particular reason why one wouldn't upload both solo and combo versions and let the reader decide which one they want to pick up?

(Maybe it takes up more space on MR's servers, but it probably also saves them some infinitesimal bandwidth if people download just the stripped versions.)
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Is there any particular reason why one wouldn't upload both solo and combo versions and let the reader decide which one they want to pick up?
IMHO, offering combo versions has several advantages:
- similar filesize as Calibre generated .azw3/.epub (see my other post for details)
- just one file to upload/download
- backwards compatibility
- no need to set up a separate KF8/azw3 sub-forum

Quote:
(Maybe it takes up more space on MR's servers, but it probably also saves them some infinitesimal bandwidth if people download just the stripped versions.)
In my admittedly not very scientific test, the KF8-only file generated by Calibre was only 60KB less than the Huffdic compressed combo file generated with KindleGen. (I got similar results with other files.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:23 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:

That would be my preference, both as supplier and as customer. But I guess I'll go with whatever the majority want even if it means going to the dark side and using KindleGen.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I think a KF8/mobi combo is better for now because I'm not sure if all of Amazon's apps can process KF8 at this time. As pointed out before, a combined file will synch even if one device is using the KF8 portion and another is using the mobi portion.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I'd say both. But, that option isn't in the poll, so I evened it out at a current tally of 7 - 7.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are there any of the Amazon apps that barf at a combination KF8/Mobi eBook?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote