Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
amazon still banning accounts?

I read the old thread (now closed) about amazon banning peoples accounts.
I understand that they seem to have banished a bunch of accounts in one sweep...being an old thread I wondered if anyone knows if they have since changed their policy or if anyone has heard of recent account bannings.

I don't buy very much from amazon, but am a little freaked out that they would do this across the board rather ruthlessly IMO, to at least some who didn't seem to really deserve it.
I've only made a couple returns to amazon but had a string of bad kindles that I had exchanged. The idea that they could suddenly lock me out of my kindle account has me a bit rattled.

The worse thing seems to be that you can't tell if your account is in bad standing or has this changed?
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
From what I've seen, the people banned deserved to be banned. And since I buy a lot from Amazon, I don't want those people causing my prices to go up because of them. I say let them buy stuff from somewhere else.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
JaylieG
K3 Addict
JaylieG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
They still ban accounts yes.

But I don't agree with vaughnmr.. yes some people take advantage but to be punished for getting actual dud items is not the consumers fault. Nor should Amazon "punish" them.

My account was banned, now its it not banned. I hardly think returning 3 items in a 6 month period deserving of a ban, but according to your comment, I did. How very tolerant of you.
JaylieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaylieG View Post
They still ban accounts yes.

But I don't agree with vaughnmr.. yes some people take advantage but to be punished for getting actual dud items is not the consumers fault. Nor should Amazon "punish" them.

My account was banned, now its it not banned. I hardly think returning 3 items in a 6 month period deserving of a ban, but according to your comment, I did. How very tolerant of you.
I agree with you, but the ones I heard of were a lot more returns than that, and on multiple items.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I know they ban people who report too much lost post. I don't know what figure triggers it, but could it actually be that and not the returned items?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaylieG View Post
My account was banned, now its it not banned.
So how did you get it unbanned? Were the returned items high dollar?

I've been an Amazon customer since they were just a book seller and I've never had to return anything.

I did, however, just return an item to an Amazon Marketplace seller. They had the nerve to send me a different model phone than what I paid for along with a note saying it was "similar." I've never experienced such foolishness with Amazon so will stick with them in the future.

This whole banning of accounts subject does leave me a bit unsettled since I own a Kindle.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I think most of the "banning" threads we got had ulterior motives. as wv has said, I've been a customer since they were a book seller also and have returned many things including things that were simply buyers remorse. 'nary a burble
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #8
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I think most of the "banning" threads we got had ulterior motives. as wv has said, I've been a customer since they were a book seller also and have returned many things including things that were simply buyers remorse. 'nary a burble
I do hope that is the case, although it is really hard to know.
It does seem like many 'innocents' did get caught up in that initial sweep.
I would like to think that they're being a little more careful in who gets banned being that they got much bad publicity for it.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Shocking that you can no longer access your e-books if Amazon closes your account. That other thread was a real eye-opener.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #10
bZkindle
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Shocking that you can no longer access your e-books if Amazon closes your account. That other thread was a real eye-opener.
Exactly. That and the fact they'd shut your 3G down really bothers me. It really goes a bit too far, even for those who have truly been gaming the system.
Don't let them buy stuff- fine, but to remove access and functionality that you've already paid for?!? What?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #11
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
Exactly. That and the fact they'd shut your 3G down really bothers me. It really goes a bit too far, even for those who have truly been gaming the system.
Don't let them buy stuff- fine, but to remove access and functionality that you've already paid for?!? What?
yeah, scared me too. it really just emphasizes the fact that you don't really own the ebooks that you paid for.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #12
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
The worse thing seems to be that you can't tell if your account is in bad standing or has this changed?
The other day I was sideloading a file I was working on and after some of the old in out involving the usb cord, I noticed that my kindle was only listing one filename where there should have been two. The weird thing was that when I scrolled to the file the author name changed to "Preferred Customer" Not sure if that means anything though. I was going to ask about it in the developer forum.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #13
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
The only account closures I've heard of recently were people who were struggling with having the Amazon accounts hacked, sign-ins and passwords compromised. Amazon had to close out those accounts and allow the customers to open new ones. Apparently it is impossible for Amazon to "transfer" Kindle books to a new account because they always seem to issue a store credit for the value of your eBooks.

There used to be much more press about Amazon closing accounts due to high returns, but they were pretty much people who did things like buy Big Screen TVs for the Super Bowl and then try to return them.

But yes, imho never trust any retailer including Amazon, to protect your eBook purchases. I don't trust Apple with my music, Amazon with my books or Snapfish with my photos. If it is important to you, take care to preserve it yourself.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #14
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post

There used to be much more press about Amazon closing accounts due to high returns, but they were pretty much people who did things like buy Big Screen TVs for the Super Bowl and then try to return them.

But yes, imho never trust any retailer including Amazon, to protect your eBook purchases. I don't trust Apple with my music, Amazon with my books or Snapfish with my photos. If it is important to you, take care to preserve it yourself.
I know Costco has very generous no question asked return policy that gets abused by people. I don't know if Costco ban people. I'm pretty certain they don't go and reposess stuff you bought and kept. Yikes.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #15
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
okay - but again. If this were a really common practice of Amazon I can assure you that the message boards, Kindle Community, and blogs would be screaming about it from the rooftops.

Has it happened? I can recall a time or two where people claim it did. Somebody else can go climbing through the various TOS but I bet you that all the retailers (Amazon, Barnes, Kobo etc etc) now have something in there about ebook access being attached to an account and access is permitted as long as the account is active.

Remember, we don't buy eBooks. We buy licenses to eBooks and licenses can expire and be revoked. That is an issue that is discussed all the time on these boards.

Is it common? I really doubt it. That thread that was bumped here was from 2009. How many more stories like that can you find?
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, banned, kindle, returns