Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: How was Decision Points by George Bush?
Loved it 2 15.38%
OK but not a page turner 2 15.38%
Wouldn't recommend it 5 38.46%
Can any book be more boring? 4 30.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Decision points

Did you like Decision points by George bush. I haven't read it and was wondering how it was.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:55 AM   #2
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
Did you like Decision points by George bush. I haven't read it and was wondering how it was.
There's a very important option missing:

"I don't intend to read this EVER"
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Unfortunately, Bush originally promised that Decision Points would explain and disclose, but instead it is a dismissal and an apologia. Of all books written by former presidents, this one is the least worth buying and/or reading.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Who actually wrote it?
Old 01-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Who actually wrote it?
Supposedly George W. Bush wrote it himself. There has been no leak of a ghostwriter and he is listed as the author. GW announced that he would write this book to explain the basis for various decisions he made as president and how he analyzed the facts.
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
How many Bushisms does it contain?
Old 01-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Unfortunately, Bush originally promised that Decision Points would explain and disclose, but instead it is a dismissal and an apologia. Of all books written by former presidents, this one is the least worth buying and/or reading.
I agree with this. I've read many books by former presidents and Decision Points is the most trite IMO. It's not a question of whether or not I agree with Bush's politics, it's that the book doesn't deliver the drama. There are no truly "quotable" passages, no moments that made me raise my eyebrows in surprise.

I do believe that he wrote it himself, as the sentence structure is somewhat repetitive, which is something you'd expect from a person who doesn't write nonfiction for a living. Not that there is anything wrong with a famous person writing his own books; I'm just saying it does seem as though a non-professional writer did the job.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:58 AM   #8
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
I detect contempt. That's a shame.

This book is toward the top of my reading list. I just haven't gotten to it yet.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
Yes, I have contempt for the book BECAUSE Bush promised one thing -- an hionest explanation of why he made certain decisions -- and gave another -- a glossing over.

When his book was originally announced along with his explanation of what he planned to do in the book, I signed up for the $350 limited edition version of the book along with the $20 version. The former was to go into my library collection and the latter was to be read. I was excitedly looking forward to the book because I wanted to understand his decision-making process.

But when the book was released and it was clear that there was no insight into his decision-making process, I canceled the limited edition version order.

To me the issue was/is not whether I agree with Bush's decisions. Rather, I wanted to gain an insight into how a president thinks and a president's decision-making process. Such an insight could be invaluable. I am a firm believer that every president -- no matter how good or bad history ultimately judges him or his contemporaries view him -- really does think he is making decisions with the good of the country in mind, and not for self-aggrandizement. A peek into how the tough decisions are made would be priceless.

Alas, Bush failed on all points with this book. Consequently, I do have some contempt for the book.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you're talking about my post, you're mistaken.

The book falls short as an honest analysis, IMO. He holds back on the big drama.

No contempt here, just disappointment in the book.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #11
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
If you're talking about my post, you're mistaken.
Hmm! Guilty conscience?

I guessed all the posts between the first one and mine were expressed with some amount of contempt. But I didn't call any out because intent is often difficult to discern when they are so short.

It's quite possible that HarryT heard someone say that someone else wrote it and was just asking. And even Bush's loyal supporters jokingly refer to Bushisms, though that word is often said with a sneer.

So here we are discussing a book that I'm eager to read that has now spent 148 days in the top 100 on Amazon where it has 4.5 stars in 781 customer reviews. But I don't see any overtly positive comments in this thread yet.

That's a shame.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #12
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Quote:
Hmm! Guilty conscience?
No, but you posted right after my post so I wondered.

I did say my comments were "IMO" and I based them on the content of the book, not the politics of GW. I read a lot of biographies and I've read many books by past presidents, or about them, and ***IMO*** this one fell short ***as a work of non-fiction.***

Quote:
So here we are discussing a book that I'm eager to read that has now spent 148 days in the top 100 on Amazon where it has 4.5 stars in 781 customer reviews. But I don't see any overtly positive comments in this thread yet.

That's a shame.
Well, maybe you'll be the first to post something positive.

Last edited by doreenjoy; 01-26-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:46 AM   #13
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
... a book that I'm eager to read that has now spent 148 days in the top 100 on Amazon ...
Why have you not read it yet?
Old 01-26-2011, 03:49 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It's quite possible that HarryT heard someone say that someone else wrote it and was just asking.
The only reason for my question was that the overwhelming majority of "celebrity" autobiographies are ghost written, and I was interested to know if this was the case here.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:59 AM   #15
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The only reason for my question was that the overwhelming majority of "celebrity" autobiographies are ghost written, and I was interested to know if this was the case here.
Would speculation about a ghost be considered another conspiracy theory?
Closed Thread