Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
ngukho
ngukho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Collections data format in 2.5 firmware

Managing collections on Kindle is painful and slow. However, if you dig into the new file system, you could find a "collections.json" at /mnt/us/system, which stores all the stuff related to collections data.

The "collections.json" is a standard json file. The only tricky part is how it identifies a document --- or what do those hashes come from. A little trial and error shows that they are merely the sha1 hash value of the document's absolute path, say a H.pdf is at the Kindle's documents directory, then its hash in collections.json would be sha1 hash of the string "/mnt/us/documents/H.pdf".

Voila, all that's needed for a PC-end collections manager is above. Anyone willing to contribute a GUI for this job? (-8

Last edited by ngukho; 05-14-2010 at 11:38 AM.
ngukho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngukho View Post
Managing collections on Kindle is painful and slow. However, if you dig into the new file system, you could find a "collections.json" at /mnt/us/system, which stores all the stuff related to collections data.
What is interesting is that deleting the file results in its immediate re-creation. From where??
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Couldn't you use calibre for the GUI?
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
That is like the screensavers. You delete them from the kindle, and next time, they are back! Calibre doesnt set up the collections - the developers dont even have the upgrade yet.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
schaefer
schaefer began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngukho View Post

The "collections.json" is a standard json file. The only tricky part is how it identifies a document --- or what do those hashes come from. A little trial and error shows that they are merely the sha1 hash value of the document's absolute path, say a H.pdf is at the Kindle's documents directory, then its hash in collections.json would be sha1 hash of the string "/mnt/us/documents/H.pdf".

Voila, all that's needed for a PC-end collections manager is above. Anyone willing to contribute a GUI for this job? (-8
I have not been able to replicate this result. I am using OS X and the following command to generate the hash.

echo <Filepath> | openssl sha1

The result I get is the same length as the hash in the collections file but is not equal. Additionally, each item in my collections file has an asterisk before the hash, are others seeing this as well?
schaefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Use echo -n

(no trailing linebreak) [Provided OS X's echo implementation is more or less the same as on Linux]

And yep, I also have an asterisk here.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-18-2010 at 02:25 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
schaefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Use echo -n

(no trailing linebreak) [Provided OS X's echo implementation is more or less the same as on Linux]

And yep, I also have an asterisk here.
Still a different result. Here's the command I'm using

echo -n "/mnt/us/documents/hackermonthly-issue1.pdf" | openssl sha1
Old 06-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by schaefer View Post
Still a different result. Here's the command I'm using

echo -n "/mnt/us/documents/hackermonthly-issue1.pdf" | openssl sha1
That similar command line works for my collections on linux, and the above gives "1d71ee1d02b3a543980d690d8d4026a8be73e3ca" as does using sha1sum instead of openssl.

According to the Mac OS X man pages, echo is posix compatible and supports the -n flag as it should.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
schaefer

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
That similar command line works for my collections on linux, and the above gives "1d71ee1d02b3a543980d690d8d4026a8be73e3ca" as does using sha1sum instead of openssl.

According to the Mac OS X man pages, echo is posix compatible and supports the -n flag as it should.
That's exactly the result I get as well, however it isn't the one that is in the collections.json file, hence my frustration.

EDIT:

Would other modifications have effected the way in which my DX creates the hashes? I have installed the updated screensaver hack.

Last edited by schaefer; 06-18-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #10
schaefer

Quote:
That's exactly the result I get as well, however it isn't the one that is in the collections.json file, hence my frustration.

EDIT:

Would other modifications have effected the way in which my DX creates the hashes? I have installed the updated screensaver hack.
Update: I just tried it with a few other files and I get the same hash as the Kindle creates. The difference I notice is that these other files don't have hyphens in the filename. Is it possible that the hyphen is causing the difference?
Old 06-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #11
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Quote:
Update: I just tried it with a few other files and I get the same hash as the Kindle creates. The difference I notice is that these other files don't have hyphens in the filename. Is it possible that the hyphen is causing the difference?
Could be. It might be encoded. What's the hash supposed to be?

However, looking at mine, I have two files with hyphens, and they encode fine?
Old 06-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #12
schaefer

Quote:
Could be. It might be encoded. What's the hash supposed to be?
08636757653b8fe7a4f0fff42c4160c809aeba87
Old 06-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #13
clarknova
Addict

Quote:
08636757653b8fe7a4f0fff42c4160c809aeba87
Weird. I went and downloaded that pdf, and put it on my kindle (named exactly hackermonthly-issue1.pdf) and added to a collection and I see:
"*1d71ee1d02b3a543980d690d8d4026a8be73e3ca"

Just like the sha1 hash I get from the command line.

BTW - Thanks for pointing out the magazine, looks interesting.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #14
schaefer

Quote:
Weird. I went and downloaded that pdf, and put it on my kindle (named exactly hackermonthly-issue1.pdf) and added to a collection and I see:
"*1d71ee1d02b3a543980d690d8d4026a8be73e3ca"

Just like the sha1 hash I get from the command line.

BTW - Thanks for pointing out the magazine, looks interesting.
Do you think it could be a Kindle 2 vs. DX difference? I may delete the collections and files and copy the files and try again when I can get back to my Kindle.

Last edited by schaefer; 06-18-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #15
Daniel Mahler
Daniel Mahler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Do you think it could be a Kindle 2 vs. DX difference? I may delete the collections and files and copy the files and try again when I can get back to my Kindle.
Has anybody figured out what kind of escaping is applied to non-alphanumeric chars before applying sha1.
Daniel Mahler is offline   Reply With Quote