Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-30-2014, 02:41 AM   #37501
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I'm currently interning. They gave me two huge manuals and asked me to check the translation of the two languages for accuracy, spelling, grammatical errors, etc. Dull work. Sometimes I don't understand the things they're making me do! How's it related to my major? I mean I don't have a degree in translation and interpretation. I cannot wait for June to come.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:40 AM   #37502
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Having an unexpected day off. Normally Friday is my day off but it has been quiet in the store and all chores are done. Since we get a shipment in on Friday it seems logical to switch days, instead of being bored today I have something to do on Friday.

I've just sorted to photographs I picked up yesterday. And later today I'll go pick up my order at the craft store, hopefully everything will be in.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:31 PM   #37503
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Happily punching flower strips with my new punch and die cutting flowers and sticking them together. One of my next lay-outs will be of the Dutblin botanical gardens. I'm probably making too many strips and flowers but I also have to print the pictures of two visits to the Keukenhof so they'll be useful then.

Apparently I'm annoying Lexie, who has taken to sleeping on my bed all day, with all of the noise. She just came stamping and sniffing out of my bedroom, looking very disapprovingly before going downstairs.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #37504
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

You just got to love the inefficiency of my city council. (eg. When it's slippery and they put salt on the roads in the inner city within a couple of hours it is followed by the sweeper card that cleans it all up)

For as long as I can remember we've had problems with patron of one café parking his car, on an almost daily basis, on the side walk on the corner. Almost blocking the door of the lingerie store (and before that, our store). Talking with the guy is impossible, even the police gave up, and the café refused to force him to park somewhere legally. Eventually the council put a wooden bollard on the corner, but he pushed that out of the street with his car, he did the same with the big stone bollard (he's got a big Range Rover).

Eventually, about ten years ago, the council put down a big stone. It's the bane of every driver who wants to round that corner whilst backing up (it's so low you don't see it) and of many drunken cyclist. But no more Range Rover.

The council recently decided/discovered that it was a special type of stone and it warranted a plaque. So they took out the stone (back was the RR) to attach the plaque. When they put it back today it turns out the plaque is upside down.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #37505
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
For as long as I can remember we've had problems with patron of one café parking his car, on an almost daily basis, on the side walk on the corner.
A former co-worker was a long distance trucker in his younger days. He described finding himself stuck trying to maneuver his 18 wheeler in a city by an illegally parked driver. A police office told him he had to move his truck, and he said "How?" The cop said "That guy isn't supposed to park there, and I've already had conversations with him about it. Drive right over him if you have to!" My friend complied, with two blown tires on the illegally parked car as a result. He couldn't come back to see if the car's owner had actually learned anything, but he would have loved to see the reaction.

For your range rover driver, a big sticker saying "You aren't supposed to park here!" affixed to his driver side windshield that can't be removed without professional help seems appropriate.

In NYC, that sort of behavior gets you towed by the city, with a hefty fine to retrieve your car from the city lot.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #37506
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
A former co-worker was a long distance trucker in his younger days. He described finding himself stuck trying to maneuver his 18 wheeler in a city by an illegally parked driver. A police office told him he had to move his truck, and he said "How?" The cop said "That guy isn't supposed to park there, and I've already had conversations with him about it. Drive right over him if you have to!" My friend complied, with two blown tires on the illegally parked car as a result. He couldn't come back to see if the car's owner had actually learned anything, but he would have loved to see the reaction.

For your range rover driver, a big sticker saying "You aren't supposed to park here!" affixed to his driver side windshield that can't be removed without professional help seems appropriate.

In NYC, that sort of behavior gets you towed by the city, with a hefty fine to retrieve your car from the city lot.
______
Dennis
The police in the Netherlands is much too nice. When they see his car they go into the café and ask him to park somewhere else. He drives away in the car and comes back, in the car, five to ten minutes later (when the police is gone) and parks on the corner again.

If a truck driver would do what your friend was allowed to do he would get a fine and would probably have to pay for damages.

But the stone is back and he can't park on the corner anymore. Now he parks his car in the spot which is meant for loading and you aren't allowed to park there for longer than 10 minutes, but at least he isn't blocking anyone's door.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #37507
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
The police in the Netherlands is much too nice. When they see his car they go into the café and ask him to park somewhere else. He drives away in the car and comes back, in the car, five to ten minutes later (when the police is gone) and parks on the corner again.
And there aren't fines for illegal parking? That's startling as cities are always in search of additional revenue.

Quote:
If a truck driver would do what your friend was allowed to do he would get a fine and would probably have to pay for damages.
My friend did it because the cop told him to. He wouldn't have considered it on his own.

Quote:
But the stone is back and he can't park on the corner anymore. Now he parks his car in the spot which is meant for loading and you aren't allowed to park there for longer than 10 minutes, but at least he isn't blocking anyone's door.
And what happens if he does park there longer than 10 minutes?

It sounds like your municipality has regulations, but no penalty enforced for breaking them.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:24 PM   #37508
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I'm preparing for the surgery, gathering stuff to keep me busy. I picked up a few counted cross stitch projects (I'm REALLY bad about starting and not finishing). I have the last two books of the Game of Thrones loaded, I've read Feast for Crows, but not Dance with Dragons, I didn't know that the sixth was on the horizon, hopefully HBO can really hold his feet to the fire and get these out a little quicker. I'm going to start at book 8 on the wheel of time, I know I read it, but can't quite remember where I stopped (if they can do game of thrones, when do we get wheel of time?) I'm really going to spend time with my kindle fire and give my amazon prime membership a run for its money as well as check out what advantages I have from having HBO, Showtime and the laundry list. I've never watched anything on any of my devices, this should be interesting. also if I do get any embroidery done, I always like to watch something or listen to radio dramas at the same time.

still frustrated that this has to happen, but I may as well make the best of it that I can
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #37509
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
You'll do just fine, KK. You know you always do... And you have the moral support of all of us to help keep you steady.

I'm sitting here with a late afternoon mug of tea, just back from the fencing salle with a great big grin on my face. A good day fencing is like a... a... a... a good day fencing! Now waiting for the washing machine to finish cleaning my uniform so we can go get some diner. I really worked up an appetite!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #37510
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Sending good thoughts to KK.

Just posted the good news that Goodreads is back up and running.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #37511
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Downloading the latest "There is no such thing as a fish" podcast. It's made by the elves (fact-finders) of the tv series QI. It's both educational and fun and if you like fun facts a must-have for your podcast subscriptions.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #37512
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Downloading the latest "There is no such thing as a fish" podcast. It's made by the elves (fact-finders) of the tv series QI. It's both educational and fun and if you like fun facts a must-have for your podcast subscriptions.
Oooh, thanks for that. I love QI and this sounds right up my street. Off to investigate it now.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #37513
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Still lolling from seeing a very pregnant goat try to get up. (she had rolled over to far and was kicking like you wouldn't believe to get back up, I had to go rescue her)
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #37514
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Just finished mowing the lawn & a shower ... now off to fill my glass with a cooling libation ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #37515
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Picking stuff up off the floor after a 5.8 earthquake centered not far from us along the Burmese border. No damage here, but shaky on the 15th floor!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?