Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
bhewson
bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo
Firmware 2.8.1 ?

I have two Kobo Glo readers.. My wife's always get updates
many days earlier than mine as hers was purchased this March at a
big box electronics store here in Canada. Mine was purchased last year
through Chapters/Indigo.

My firmware is still at 2.6.1 while I note hers is now at 2.8.1 with the firmware
date of July 15th, 2013! I have seen no reference to any updates
since 2.6.1.

Anyone else have 2.8.1???????

We both connect via Wifi daily to update a newspaper subscription btw.

As an aside I hate that I have to "dismiss" daily the "Recommended list" tile
and "Reading Stats" tile even though I have all of the Reading Life and
Notifications options boxes unchecked. I personally have no use for any of those gimmicks, just want a stable/reliable Ereader. Once I turn that
stuff I would dearly love not to be bothered with it again, yet every day
after downloading my newspaper, I have to delete undesired tiles pushed
down.

Regards
bhewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhewson View Post
I have two Kobo Glo readers.. My wife's always get updates
many days earlier than mine as hers was purchased this March at a
big box electronics store here in Canada. Mine was purchased last year
through Chapters/Indigo.

My firmware is still at 2.6.1 while I note hers is now at 2.8.1 with the firmware
date of July 15th, 2013! I have seen no reference to any updates
since 2.6.1.

Anyone else have 2.8.1???????

We both connect via Wifi daily to update a newspaper subscription btw.

As an aside I hate that I have to "dismiss" daily the "Recommended list" tile
and "Reading Stats" tile even though I have all of the Reading Life and
Notifications options boxes unchecked. I personally have no use for any of those gimmicks, just want a stable/reliable Ereader. Once I turn that
stuff I would dearly love not to be bothered with it again, yet every day
after downloading my newspaper, I have to delete undesired tiles pushed
down.

Regards
Do you notice any differences? My glo also is one that gets the updates early, but I haven't connected in over a week to wifi, so I'd like to hear the lowdown on it before I do it

Regarding the reappearance of unwanted tiles. If you already use calibre (and maybe even if you don't, depending on how much this annoys you), you might want to look at davidfor's plugin "KoboUtilites". It has a option that will delete types of tiles that you choose, as soon as they appear.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Bharath Y P
Bharath Y P knows the square root of minus one.Bharath Y P knows the square root of minus one.Bharath Y P knows the square root of minus one.Bharath Y P knows the square root of minus one.Bharath Y P knows the square root of minus one.Bharath Y P knows the square root of minus one.Bharath Y P knows the square root of minus one.Bharath Y P knows the square root of minus one.Bharath Y P knows the square root of minus one.Bharath Y P knows the square root of minus one.Bharath Y P knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Glo
Screen Refresh

The screen Ghosting (marks left by previous page) has got worse,dint have any problem like that in old firmware(it was fast),after the update i can see the marks of previous page for quite a long time (even though in seconds)... Its a minor thing,but irritates when u r reading continuously for a long time... It happens with all the files,sideloaded and the ones from kobo..

Last edited by Bharath Y P; 07-19-2013 at 07:50 PM. Reason: addition
Bharath Y P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
justywusty
Enthusiast
justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.

Device: kobo touch
I just synced my Glo over wifi and 2.8.1 just installed. Wasn't expecting new software!
justywusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
justywusty
Enthusiast
justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.

Here's some things I noticed:

Swipe is enabled to move between menu pages now.
Tweaked interface overall.
Tweaked library view.
New storefront.
Seems snappier overall.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
justywusty
Enthusiast

pics of 2.8.1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3733.jpg
Views:	3422
Size:	683.7 KB
ID:	108380   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3734.jpg
Views:	3230
Size:	697.4 KB
ID:	108381   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3735.jpg
Views:	3039
Size:	723.6 KB
ID:	108382   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3736.jpg
Views:	2806
Size:	693.2 KB
ID:	108383   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3737.jpg
Views:	2994
Size:	796.6 KB
ID:	108384   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3738.jpg
Views:	2738
Size:	722.5 KB
ID:	108385   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3740.jpg
Views:	3343
Size:	809.8 KB
ID:	108386  
Old 07-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by justywusty View Post
pics of 2.8.1
Those are very similar to what the Aura was with 2.6.1 when I tried one out in the store....I do like some of the changes, but I'm not 100% on how they would be on a glo's smaller screen.

Hmmm...maybe I will avoid synching for a bit still.

What does the home screen look like? Still same number of tiles taking the same amount of space?
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
justywusty
Enthusiast

The home screen looks the same as 2.6.1
Old 07-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
Those are very similar to what the Aura was with 2.6.1 when I tried one out in the store....I do like some of the changes, but I'm not 100% on how they would be on a glo's smaller screen.

Hmmm...maybe I will avoid synching for a bit still.

What does the home screen look like? Still same number of tiles taking the same amount of space?
The tiled home screen came to the Glo with 2.6.1. This version puts the rest of the Aura HD interface on the Glo. I have been using the beta versions and have no problems with the interface,

There probably won't be anything noticeable on the Touch or the Mini.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

calibre and firmware 2.8.1

If you are using calibre and receive firmware 2.8.1, you will get the unknown firmware version message. I have thoroughly tested calibre with the beta versions of the firmware. There have been no changes in the firmware that affect the interface with calibre. Using the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option in the driver configuration is safe.

I will update the supported firmware version in calibre before the next release.

The Kobo Utilities plugin is also tested with this firmware and will work without any problems.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #11
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Anything for Aura users?
Old 07-19-2013, 11:21 PM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I don't suppose they've fixed the ancient italics bug?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:55 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Anything for Aura users?
Probably not much that's noticeable. I think some bugs were fixed, but, I have a Glo, so most of it was new to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I don't suppose they've fixed the ancient italics bug?
I am happy to say that you suppose wrong!
Old 07-20-2013, 02:03 AM   #14
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I am happy to say that you suppose wrong!
REALLY? Anybody got a firmware download link? Bounce!
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #15
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
so is the top margin in epubs gone or still as big as in 2.6.1?
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote