Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-05-2010, 07:22 AM   #1
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
New Hardware

Quote:
Install bravo_update.dat from sd.

1. Hold the power until your e-ink screen goes off.

2. Press and hold the "<" button on the right side of the nook, and then press and release the power button, while continuing to hold the "<" button.

3. You can release "<" once a screen appears indicating that your device is updating. Wait through the entire process and when you see a launcher screen, reboot once more.

Quote:
Forcing Software Update

* Turn off nook
* Turn it on
* Quickly hold 2 buttons on either side (not all 4 as previously said)
* A screen will appear on the eInk display that says updating and the lower screen will show "Mounting partitions" and then "Checking for updates"

Neither of these work for me. After I press the power button my screen goes black and stays black until I get the starting nook screen. I have new 10038 hardware.

Can anyone confirm that these work with new hardware?
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
See this link:

http://nookdevs.com/New_Hardware_Revision

"It appears Barnes and Noble has introduced a new hardware revision or another change which is causing units to become bricks after running the official Barnes and Noble 1.0.0 firmware image. These units can be identified by the 10031 serial #.

A label on the bottom of the nook box will indicate what version your nook is.

If the serial # begins with 10031, the unit MAY OR MAY NOT be rootable. If the serial # is greater than 10031, it almost certainly NOT rootable.

If the device comes preloaded with firmware version 1.4.0 or earlier, it is likely rootable, regardless of serial number. If it comes preloaded with 1.4.1 or greater, it is almost certainly NOT rootable."

Edit: People say to disregard this info as it's badly dated.

Last edited by SCION; 12-05-2010 at 10:31 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
Kolfe
Enthusiast
Kolfe began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Neither of these work for me. After I press the power button my screen goes black and stays black until I get the starting nook screen. I have new 10038 hardware.

Can anyone confirm that these work with new hardware?
In what firmware are you now? 1.4 or 1.5?

What i understood from previous posts you made... you already had a rooted nook....

What do you need to do right now?
Kolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolfe View Post
In what firmware are you now? 1.4 or 1.5?
Let me re-word my post. This is not a firmware issue, it's a new hardware issue, no matter what firmware it's running. I have a new 10038XXXX new hardware Nook. I am currently running 1.5 rooted. I have found that the keystrokes given for updating the Eink Nook via an unsigned bravo_update.dat:

Quote:
Install bravo_update.dat from sd.

1. Hold the power until your e-ink screen goes off.

2. Press and hold the "<" button on the right side of the nook, and then press and release the power button, while continuing to hold the "<" button.

3. You can release "<" once a screen appears indicating that your device is updating. Wait through the entire process and when you see a launcher screen, reboot once more.
and also

Quote:
Forcing Software Update

* Turn off nook
* Turn it on
* Quickly hold 2 buttons on either side (not all 4 as previously said)
* A screen will appear on the eInk display that says updating and the lower screen will show "Mounting partitions" and then "Checking for updates"
Do not work on my new hardware nook, with either 1.42 firmware OR 1.5 firmware.

Quote:
What do you need to do right now?
I want to find out if other new nook hardware owners have been able to use the methods above to update their 1003XXXX hardware via unsigned updates. I haven't.

BTW, this info:
Quote:
If the serial # begins with 10031, the unit MAY OR MAY NOT be rootable. If the serial # is greater than 10031, it almost certainly NOT rootable.
is badly dated. All Eink nooks are currently rootable.

http://nookdevs.com/Rooting_New_Hardware
Old 12-05-2010, 11:27 PM   #5
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Let me re-word my post. This is not a firmware issue, it's a new hardware issue, no matter what firmware it's running. I have a new 10038XXXX new hardware Nook. I am currently running 1.5 rooted. I have found that the keystrokes given for updating the Eink Nook via an unsigned bravo_update.dat

Do not work on my new hardware nook, with either 1.42 firmware OR 1.5 firmware.

BTW, this info:

is badly dated. All Eink nooks are currently rootable.

http://nookdevs.com/Rooting_New_Hardware
The above article will not work if your nook came with 1.5 from b&n. My understanding is not all nooks are rootable. 1.4.1 1.4.2 are rootable using that method but the bug allowing to use that method has been fixed in firmware 1.5. On top of that, the above method doesnt enable downgrading to 1.0.0 and installing unsigned updates. All it does is it starts adbd so that you can connect to your nook via adb and install apps this way.
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
The above article will not work if your nook came with 1.5 from b&n. My understanding is not all nooks are rootable. 1.4.1 1.4.2 are rootable using that method but the bug allowing to use that method has been fixed in firmware 1.5. On top of that, the above method doesnt enable downgrading to 1.0.0 and installing unsigned updates. All it does is it starts adbd so that you can connect to your nook via adb and install apps this way.
I rooted my 1.5 upgrade using Nomad's server. He's updated it to deal with 1.5. I Changed my router's hosts file to swap his server for B&N and bob's yer uncle.

Code:
217.20.163.111 sync.barnesandnoble.com edmfiletransfer.barnesandnoble.com

It installs a program, net.runserver.nookRoot.apk, that you use once to start adbd, then delete.

Last edited by JeffElkins; 12-06-2010 at 08:00 AM.