Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
wvabob
wvabob began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Another problem: computer to kindle download

Hello again, I am having another problem with trying to download from my computer to my kindle. I can't get wireless service so I have to use my computer to download from the web and then load to the Kindle. It has been weeks since I have done it and now I can't get it to work.

Below is a quote from a previous thread where i had asked for help with the same problem, and got an answer from "MITCH".

Assuming you are using Windows, if you go to Start and then Computer, this opens up the window showing your connected drives (e.g. C, D, etc).
In that window, you should see a drive called Kindle (or at least some indication of a new USB drive).
From there, double click on the kindle drive and you'll see some folders - one of which is documents.
Double click on documents and you should see any all all documents you currently have loaded on your kindle (as well as some other similarly named files).
Now, you can drag document(s) from your computer over to that documents folder on the kindle.
When you unplug your kindle from the computer, you'll see the new documents listed on your home page.
(All of this assumes, of course that the document is in a format that the kindle can understand.)

I can do every thing as describer above by Mitch G, but when I click on computer and it brings up "kindle", and I click on that there are no documents or folders to open, I had previously erased all the other books I had downloaded.
I've tried going to my document files and sending the folder from there to my kindle drive, and it will show up on the Kindle drive but when I try to send that folder from there to the actual kindle machine, I click on that folder and click 'send to' Kindle' it just duplicates the folder on the kinkle drive... I'm stumped, does anyone know what I may can do?

Also should say that I think I'm in the correct download format (mobi )

I called the help number on the amazon site but they were not very interested in helping me because i had not downloaded these books from their web site, so that was no help.

thanks for any suggestions
wvabob is online now Add to wvabob's Reputation Report Post
wvabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvabob View Post
Hello again, I am having another problem with trying to download from my computer to my kindle. I can't get wireless service so I have to use my computer to download from the web and then load to the Kindle. It has been weeks since I have done it and now I can't get it to work.

Below is a quote from a previous thread where i had asked for help with the same problem, and got an answer from "MITCH".

Assuming you are using Windows, if you go to Start and then Computer, this opens up the window showing your connected drives (e.g. C, D, etc).
In that window, you should see a drive called Kindle (or at least some indication of a new USB drive).
From there, double click on the kindle drive and you'll see some folders - one of which is documents.
Double click on documents and you should see any all all documents you currently have loaded on your kindle (as well as some other similarly named files).
Now, you can drag document(s) from your computer over to that documents folder on the kindle.
When you unplug your kindle from the computer, you'll see the new documents listed on your home page.
(All of this assumes, of course that the document is in a format that the kindle can understand.)

I can do every thing as describer above by Mitch G, but when I click on computer and it brings up "kindle", and I click on that there are no documents or folders to open, I had previously erased all the other books I had downloaded.
I've tried going to my document files and sending the folder from there to my kindle drive, and it will show up on the Kindle drive but when I try to send that folder from there to the actual kindle machine, I click on that folder and click 'send to' Kindle' it just duplicates the folder on the kinkle drive... I'm stumped, does anyone know what I may can do?

Also should say that I think I'm in the correct download format (mobi )

I called the help number on the amazon site but they were not very interested in helping me because i had not downloaded these books from their web site, so that was no help.

thanks for any suggestions
wvabob is online now Add to wvabob's Reputation Report Post
Your Kindle drive is your kindle. It just shows up as a drive while connected to your PC. All you need to do is send the documents folder from your PC to your kindle. All books on the kindle are stored in the "document" folder.
Or you can send books individually from your PC's document folder to your Kindle's document folder.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
wvabob

thanks for the reply Poohbear.

I must be missing something.......I do those steps but the books are not showing up on the device itself.

Here's what I do:
Find the downloaded files [books] on the 'C' drive of my computer, right click on that and click on 'send to KINDLE' drive [hooked to USB port]

From there it shows up in the window of the KINDLE drive but it does not get to the device itself.
Like I said I must be missing something
Old 02-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1. open the documents folder on your kindle drive using your PC - do the books show up?
2. what format are your books
3. if you downloaded them not from Amazon - do they have DRM protection (if so - can't read on Kindle without removing)
Old 02-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you don't have a documents folder on the Kindle drive, you need to create one. It needs to have exactly the right name, and I don't know what this is. All your ebooks should be in this folder.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If you don't have a documents folder on the Kindle drive, you need to create one. It needs to have exactly the right name, and I don't know what this is. All your ebooks should be in this folder.
Right - the folder on the kindle MUST be named documents - or the Kindle can't see it.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
wvabob

That is the problem I think, I don't have a document folder on the KINDLE drive and not sure how to create one.

I tried making a "folder" but that didn't work either.

The files I downloaded are the MOBI/KINDLE files from the MUNSEYS free books site.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Open up your Kindle drive using your PC. Then right click -> new -> folder. Then rename the folder documents. Assuming your PC is running Windows.

And then move your books into this folder.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
wvabob

I am running vista......will your instructions be the same?
Old 02-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #10
wvabob

OK !!! THANKS that did the trick.....I did like you said and the download went right through to the device
...you guys are the greatest, thanks again.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Good to hear! And welcome to Mobile Read - feel free to drop in and ask questions or just browse. We're here to help.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #12
bobk333
bobk333 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Creating documents folder on Kindle

I have same/similar problem in that my documents folder is not on my kindle anymore. I try to create a new folder and change the name to documents, but get message block as follows:
"The G:\folder does not exist. The file may have been moved or deleted. Do you want to create it?"
Then it will not create it.
bobk333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
StickMaker
Connoisseur
StickMaker began at the beginning.

Thanks for that; I did not have Munseys in my list on my website; I do now!
StickMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobk333 View Post
I have same/similar problem in that my documents folder is not on my kindle anymore. I try to create a new folder and change the name to documents, but get message block as follows:
"The G:\folder does not exist. The file may have been moved or deleted. Do you want to create it?"
Then it will not create it.
Maybe you should try setting the kindle back to factory settings.

Do you have any books on it?

But you canNOT see the documents folder? So you may not be able to backup your books.

Press HOME. Press Menu, select Settings. Press Menu Again, down the list select the one "Reset to Factory Defaults" and hopefully, it was recreate missing folders.

If that fails, call Kindle support for assistance.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #15
bobk333
bobk333 began at the beginning.

Thanks. I didn't want to do that except as last resort. Looks like I may have to.
bobk333 is offline   Reply With Quote