Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-25-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
saguay
Enthusiast
saguay began at the beginning.

Device: SIGIL
ePUB weight

The weight of my epub is too high (14 mo). What can I do to reduce this weight ?
saguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #2
BryanK
Connoisseur
BryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by saguay View Post
The weight of my epub is too high (14 mo). What can I do to reduce this weight ?
What is this epub? Is it one you made? One you bought? DRM? Does it contain a lot of images? A lot of text? Embedded fonts?
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2015, 01:00 PM   #3
saguay
Enthusiast

I did this ePUB with SIGIL. This is the file : http://manuscritdepot.com/doc-transf...yn-malo.1.epub (this file is copyrighted by my and the authour - I'M a publischer)
Old 02-25-2015, 02:46 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Remove all those fonts, you aren't using any of them.

One of them alone is 22MB.

That will drop the book down to 1.2MB instead of 17MB which should help tremendously.

EDIT: That might be because, as DomesticExtremis points out below, nofew styles are in use... only the auto-generated styles for the ToC are in use.

Still, do you really need to embed arial specifically? Embedded fonts are something IMO to be used as a last resort.

Last edited by eschwartz; 02-25-2015 at 03:00 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #5
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
Apart from the TOC.xhtml, none of your xhtml files is using any style
sheet, so it will be defaulting to whatever your eReader or software is using.

There are lots of errors coming from FlightCrew (Tools|Validate... in sigil)

You might want to fix those first before worrying about font size.
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #6
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Remove all those fonts, you aren't using any of them.

One of them alone is 22MB.

That will drop the book down to 1.2MB instead of 17MB which should help tremendously.
Plus, the ePub isn't using them as they haven't been embedded properly.
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The main error is the persistent use of style <* align="center"> instead of text-align, which isn't a tremendously difficult obstacle.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:04 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis View Post
Plus, the ePub isn't using them as they haven't been embedded properly.
Yes I noticed, and edited my post appropriately.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:01 PM   #9
saguay
Enthusiast

Thank you DomesticExtremis and eschwartz

Thank you very much.

I remove all fonts.

But the replacement of text-align doesnt work.

As you know, I use :

<h2 style="text-align: center;">Préambule</h2>

What should I use ?
Old 02-25-2015, 04:06 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

You will still want to actually link the stylesheet (right-click on files in the file browser baked into Sigil) and you want to replace "align" with "text-align", not the other way around.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:10 PM   #11
saguay
Enthusiast

I decide to add text-align in the css. The problem is solve for the title (H2). But I still have the same problem with <p align="center">* * *</p>
Old 02-25-2015, 04:22 PM   #12
saguay
Enthusiast

It's done

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You will still want to actually link the stylesheet (right-click on files in the file browser baked into Sigil) and you want to replace "align" with "text-align", not the other way around.
It's done. Thank you.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #13
saguay
Enthusiast

On the ePub check IDPF, they wrote : attribute "align" not allowed here; expected attribute "class", "dir", "id", "lang", "style", "title" or "xml:lang"

I dont understand
Old 02-25-2015, 05:08 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
While yes, you can code
Code:
<p style="text-align:center">* * *</p>
it's being suggested that using a stylesheet and named styles would be more beneficial.

You would want to make a new stylesheet (say my.css) and it would contain
Code:
.center {
    text-align: center;
}
Then you would link my.css to the files within the eBook within Sigil, and in the actual files just code
Code:
<p class="center">* * *</p>
<h2 class="center">Préambule</h2>
Or if you wanted ALL <h2>'s to be centered you could place in my.css
Code:
h2 {
    text-align: center;
}
and then just code
Code:
<h2>Préambule</h2>
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:49 PM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You also might like to look at some of the resources here at MobileRead on eBook creation.

For instance https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EPub_Tutorial which deals with CSS and stylesheets among other topics.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote