Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-02-2008, 10:16 AM   #31
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I just use old MS Works Database, with three cells, Title, Author, Date Read. You could add more columns, if you wanted, to rate the book or distinguish between bBook and eBook, etc...

You can look at database in any sequence you want.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:30 AM   #32
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

If you like the keep track of the books you read, here's something you can aspire to!
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #33
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv View Post
If you like the keep track of the books you read, here's something you can aspire to!
He's probably got "people" who organize all this for him. I need some of those.

I notice he didn't pick "Catch22" as one of his favs even though he was in the movie!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #34
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Tompe, I'm interested in your SGML file. What markup system do you use? Do you have a schema?
It i a very old file started when SGML was defined (and an XML file is probably bettter to use now adays but using SGML you get a more compact notation more suitable for editing with a text editor.

It looks like:
Code:

<!doctype bl SYSTEM "bl.dtd" [
  <!ENTITY facklista SYSTEM "facksgm" >
  <!ENTITY cdlista SYSTEM "cdsgm" >
]>

<bl>
<fiction>
 <author> Kim Stanley Robinson
    <book> <t> Red Mars <cy> 1993 <p> <r> 990327
    <book> <t> The Years of Rice and Salt <cy> 2002 <bd> 030419 <bp> Forbidden Planet, Seacon 03 <p> £7.99 <r>

<author> Peter Robinson
    <book> <t> Gallows View <cy> 1987 <bd> 081117 <bp> amazon.co.uk <p> 90.00 <r> 081122.2
    <book> <t> A Dedicated Man <cy> 1988 <bd> 081117 <bp> amazon.co.uk <p> 90.00 <r> 081201

<author> Spider Robinson
    <book> <t> Mindkiller <p> 36.00 <r> 891012
    <book> <t> Telempath <p> 15.00 <r> 890714

</fiction>
</bl>
As you see the advantage with SGML is that you can eliminate the end tags. Recently I have started to add place I bought the book and the date so I can get statistics over how long time ut takes me to read a book and also that I can see what books I have bought recently since they should be high on the to do pile.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:55 AM   #35
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Over a thousand books since 1968. I wonder how his eyes are doing?!

Tim
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #36
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I've toyed a bit with LibraryThing, Shelfari, and GoodReads. I haven't used these much as I was never able to figure out their real benefits. I've mainly relied on an Excel spreadsheet but recently this has fallen into disuse as I'm often distracted by things like converting books for MR, looking for new books to convert or read, and, occasionally, reading. While I used to care a lot about organizing what I've read and what I plan to read, I find that I hardly care any longer and would prefer to keep a short list in my pocket of absolute must reads and forget everything else.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:31 PM   #37
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
Over a thousand books since 1968. I wonder how his eyes are doing?!
That is just 25 books a year. I have read 2000 fiction books since 1978 (which is less than 100 books a year which is my current reading goal) and my eyes are fine.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:32 PM   #38
winspiration
Connoisseur
winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Kindle Fire HD
I had started keeping a simple Excel file, mainly so that I too don't end up buying again something that I've already read I rarely keep pbooks once read.

Interesting links - will have to check them out. I know that with me the main issue with whatever format will be remembering to update the list. However, I can see that it would be handy to pick up potential recommendations from similar lists.
winspiration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #39
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
He's probably got "people" who organize all this for him. I need some of those.

I notice he didn't pick "Catch22" as one of his favs even though he was in the movie!
I'm impressed that he kept track of everything he has ever read. I just only started doing this. Most of what is in LibraryThing is what was on my current physical bookshelves. I have read much more that is not in there. If I think of books I have read I add them.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #40
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

I wonder if he's really accounted for everything. It's not difficult to imagine that, during a tour or somesuch, he picked up a few throw-aways and never wrote down what they were.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:23 AM   #41
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I keep a track of all books I have ever read from my first days in the school. Our tutor ordered us to start a notebook where we should write down every book we read, number of pages and a short review.
After grade 4, number of books and short reviews were forgotten but the notebook was kept.
I have re-written it twice in my life. The last time was 6 years ago.
About 1 year ago I started word.doc and a few months ago I moved it to excel spread sheet.xls.

So now I have a notebook and excel spread sheet.

I keep the spread sheet simple. Just 3 columns.
1. book number
2. Author
3. Book title

No need for special software.

P.S. 1 week ago I added another column where I note the date when I finished a book.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #42
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I designed an eBook Database in Access and use it to track the books I've read, the books I've downloaded but not read and my wish list. I find it very useful especially when I'm getting low on books and need to buy some more. Anyway, I uploaded a copy onto MobileRead for anyone who wants their own database. You can find it here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=database

I left a few books listed on it but you can add your own and delete the few that are on tehre.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:30 PM   #43
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Does he have OCD?

I have started entering into Shellfari but the list is far from complete.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:31 PM   #44
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
Does he have OCD?
I don't see that book on his list.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:53 AM   #45
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't see that book on his list.

BOb
Oxford Concise Dictionary...it probably wouldn't be listed, Bob.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote