Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 04:15 AM   #166
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox T68
My Firefly only has 128 MB of ram.

There is a clone of a Spanish bookstore (Tagus Lux) that if you have 256 MB. And as they say the owners is very fast.

But in the list of characteristics of the "new"?? Firefly 8 GB/256MB of Ereade-Store, 128 MB appear as above .... I bought????

A greeting.
fraylocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:26 AM   #167
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayo View Post
According to ereader-store.de: ONYX BOOX i62HD FIREFLY 8GB / 256MB (256MB of DDR memory, I suppose). My wild guess: so it can run Android in the future. As an early adopter I'm stuck with 128MB. Oh well...
Hi,
You are right. New batch should be equipped with 256MB RAM (instead of 128MB). This is why the price is a little bit higher now. I am not sure, that it somehow will affect the Android functionality or noticeable increase speed of the device. We asked Onyx to use 256MB PCBs in the future just to be par with competitors.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #168
inthemood
Zealot
inthemood began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Forma 32G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,
You are right. New batch should be equipped with 256MB RAM (instead of 128MB). This is why the price is a little bit higher now. I am not sure, that it somehow will affect the Android functionality or noticeable increase speed of the device. We asked Onyx to use 256MB PCBs in the future just to be par with competitors.
If it becomes necessary, will we be able to upgrade our ram to 256 MB ?

Also, any news on the firmware front for the firefly ?

Thank you, have a nice day. (Happy new year to all !)
inthemood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:12 AM   #169
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
My almost brandnew and most expensive 6" device on the market is already obsolete after two months of purchase and will most probably not get the promised firmware update, because of insufficient ram. In other words the 128 mb Firefly has already been abandoned. Am I right (please conform me wrong)?
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:38 AM   #170
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox T68
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbosch View Post
My almost brandnew and most expensive 6" device on the market is already obsolete after two months of purchase and will most probably not get the promised firmware update, because of insufficient ram. In other words the 128 mb Firefly has already been abandoned. Am I right (please conform me wrong)?
You're not alone. Many of us have become obsolete before having a first firmware.

regards
fraylocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2013, 02:43 AM   #171
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
People don't panic, you'll become obsolete in three months, when the new Android reader comes out :P
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:42 AM   #172
inthemood
Zealot

Quote:
I don't see why having (only) 128 Mb would prevent a firmware update for the firefly. Most of the ereaders on the market which have a dedicated (not necessarily good) firmware (ie: not one which was conceived for another - larger screen essentially - device, have 128 Mb. So why should there be a problem updating our (ca. 2 months old) devices ?
Old 01-11-2013, 04:26 AM   #173
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Because they stopped production of these 128MB units almost immediately (lack of stock in stores, remember?) and now only offer 256MB ones?
Because Booxtor hasn't replied to my 2 previous questions about the firmware upgrade question (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...183552&page=14), while answering any other question on the forum as usual?
I don't know. The firmware simply doesn't show up, we get zero news on it, device has been replaced by a higher performance one and I'm afraid I will still be using a magnifying glass in order to be able to go through the actual interface on the unit in a year or so.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:50 AM   #174
Maremagnum
Future's Shadow
Maremagnum began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD Firefly/Moonlight
There is no need to make a new firmware for a new amount of ram, the same will work for 128 or 256, also more ram =! more performance.
Maremagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:15 AM   #175
inthemood
Zealot

Quote:
Because they stopped production of these 128MB units almost immediately (lack of stock in stores, remember?) and now only offer 256MB ones?
Because Booxtor hasn't replied to my 2 previous questions about the firmware upgrade question (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...183552&page=14), while answering any other question on the forum as usual?
I don't know. The firmware simply doesn't show up, we get zero news on it, device has been replaced by a higher performance one and I'm afraid I will still be using a magnifying glass in order to be able to go through the actual interface on the unit in a year or so.
Well, I guess I'm hoping Booxtor isn't answering about the firmware update because it's in the works and he wants to surprise us when it arrives… (wishful thinking ?)
Anyway, an update will have to be made for the firefly whether 128 or 256. It seems to me that everybody, including Booxtor, concurs that the the interface is inappropriate for this device and it would be extremely poor business strategy to leave it like it is, if Onyx wants to hope to earn a spot among the leading ebook reader makers (at least in the "western world", I don't know about the Russian and Chinese or other eastern countries market) which it, at the moment, definitely doesn't have. This can easily be determined by the number of responses in google and comparing with the search results of other brands (Kindle, of course, but also Nook, Kobo, Cybook, Sony and even Pocketbook among others).

Hoping for the best… have a nice day.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:35 AM   #176
adbosch
Addict

Completely reassured.

But a short and final reply from Booxtor might help even more.

Last edited by adbosch; 01-11-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:45 AM   #177
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I think that bigger RAM is not such a big difference to prevent using firmware for device with a bigger RAM on device with smaller RAM.

Of course having bigger RAM is an advantage in many cases. But also disadvantage - it consumes more power.

I guess Booxstor does not reply as he does not know when the firmware will be available. Changing interface may take some time, it is quite time consuming and not very enjoyable work.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:53 AM   #178
adbosch
Addict

The interface exists (on a spanish clone; see above), so it's just a matter of adaptation. Unless the fw doesn't fit the hardware.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:57 AM   #179
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
you are wrong
We are working on updates (regardless of RAM amount in devices). The updates are comming. Just be a little bit patient. First, we have limited resources, secondly - we just "survived" some holidays in the last weeks
128MB version is still in production. Polish and Russion version of i62ML are 128MB versions.
The mentioned lack in stores in the past is just because of delayed supply of moon light screens from EINk to the Onyx factory.

Last edited by Booxtor; 01-11-2013 at 06:14 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:58 AM   #180
inthemood
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
you are wrong
We are working on updates (regardless of RAM amount in devices). The updates are comming. Just be a little bit patient. First, we have limited resources, secondly - we just "survived" some holidays in the last weeks
Thank you Booxtor. That's what I needed to keep my spirits up !