Hi,

I second the question.
inthemood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #152
Maremagnum
Future's Shadow
Maremagnum began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD Firefly/Moonlight
I wonder what do you expect of a "special" firmware for the firefly, when basically the hardware and functions are the same than the normal hd? The only difference is the led control.
Maremagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #153
inthemood
Zealot
inthemood began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Forma 32G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maremagnum View Post
I wonder what do you expect of a "special" firmware for the firefly, when basically the hardware and functions are the same than the normal hd? The only difference is the led control.
What's true for the firefly is probably basically true for the normal HD (besides the light control of course)

That is : (quoting older posts)

… the font in menus is indeed too small. The menu will be definitely redesigned soon (currently it is the same menu as in big screen models).

… the menus are TINY which makes interacting with the machine somewhat unpleasant

… if the dictionary fonts were bigger/zoomable and if double tapping on a word INSIDE the dictionary window would bring up a further dictionary entry (Kindle style) that would be perfect.

… Right now it feels like it is the wrong software in the right hardware.

… it would be really nice to see the results of an edit (ie- zoom, font, font size, margin, etc…) without leaving the edit menu, allowing to easily correct a setting, or compare different views. It is a standard feature in some other e-readers and I think it would greatly enhance the friendliness of use of the interface of the i62HD Firefly (or normal). That and making the icons and the texts of the user interface LARGER.

… and especially the text in the dictionary window, larger, bolder
And the keyboard, bold please

Last edited by inthemood; 12-15-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #154
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemood View Post
if double tapping on a word INSIDE the dictionary window would bring up a further dictionary entry (Kindle style) that would be perfect.
I have M92, not i62HD, and it works as you ask in this device. Doubletapping (or long press, I am not sure right now...) on word inside dictionary brings up explanation for this word.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #155
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox T68
Quote:
It was announced that come with Android.

regards
fraylocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #156
inthemood
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
I have M92, not i62HD, and it works as you ask in this device. Doubletapping (or long press, I am not sure right now...) on word inside dictionary brings up explanation for this word.
You're right. It's quite hard to correctly aim at a word because the font size is so small, but I think a double tap does indeed bring on a further definition in the dictionary. It seems to me it takes quite some time to show up. One has to be a little patient, but eventually, something does happen. I'm sure it can be improved though. For starters, a larger font size would definitely help.

Thank you for the tip.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #157
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
Also, once you have opened the dictionary window by double tapping on a word a single tap on any other word will bring up the corresponding dictionary entry (as long as the dictionary window is open).
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #158
inthemood
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayo View Post
Also, once you have opened the dictionary window by double tapping on a word a single tap on any other word will bring up the corresponding dictionary entry (as long as the dictionary window is open).
Yes, that's true for a word in the body of the book, not in the dictionary definition, though. There, I think you need to double tap, and wait a while. It doesn't seem to work every time…
Old 12-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #159
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I think the both work the same. Tap/longer press in document text or dictionary text brings explanation for given word. At least in M92.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #160
inthemood
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
I think the both work the same. Tap/longer press in document text or dictionary text brings explanation for given word. At least in M92.
It actually isn't clear to me what really works (within the dictionary definition) on the i62. Partly because of the size of the font in the dictionary definition, and partly because whatever works, doesn't always work (not every time). Maybe others should try it on the i62 and report their impressions.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #161
Maremagnum
Future's Shadow

Quote:
What's true for the firefly is probably basically true for the normal HD (besides the light control of course)

That is : (quoting older posts)

… the font in menus is indeed too small. The menu will be definitely redesigned soon (currently it is the same menu as in big screen models).

… the menus are TINY which makes interacting with the machine somewhat unpleasant

I personally don't find them small, maybe people is used to low resolution screens with big characters, but well i guess is just a matter of tastes.

… if the dictionary fonts were bigger/zoomable and if double tapping on a word INSIDE the dictionary window would bring up a further dictionary entry (Kindle style) that would be perfect.

… Right now it feels like it is the wrong software in the right hardware.

… it would be really nice to see the results of an edit (ie- zoom, font, font size, margin, etc…) without leaving the edit menu, allowing to easily correct a setting, or compare different views. It is a standard feature in some other e-readers and I think it would greatly enhance the friendliness of use of the interface of the i62HD Firefly (or normal). That and making the icons and the texts of the user interface LARGER.

that could be a bit tricky to make because you need to render two parts of the screen separately, currently all is see are overlays, i agree could be useful

… and especially the text in the dictionary window, larger, bolder
And the keyboard, bold please
why bolder? shouldn't be better more separation between the characters and a bit bigger?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #162
Maremagnum
Future's Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraylocus View Post
It was announced that come with Android.

regards
it wasn't, they said there could be a system version with android

anyway, really you don't want android on a device like this, is an ereader

android is awful on resources and performance, is made to be able to use many different and crappy java apps without much configuration, and its basically an emulator over a stripped linux

you can have a full linux system with desktop/graphic support and network on 50MB memory, you can't do that with android

the current system that the device uses is the same "mini linux" used in routers and modems

android will be slower due the lot of unused software & runtimes, more battery usage, and also if people want android because the "market" of apps well.. i doubt you'll be able to run more than a pair on apps at the same time on 128MB ram

in fact android should work almost out-of-the box on the device, the cpu & network is supported, and internal storage is quite simple, on the other side you need a driver for the device buttons & light control (shouldn't be complicated to make i guess), but what is trickier is a proper controller for the screen, to make it refresh properly, dunno

i'd port any full linux before android

edit: 128MB are the minimal requirements for the firsts versions of android 4yrs ago, and they've bloated it well since then, android 2.x should be possible

Last edited by Maremagnum; 12-15-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #163
inthemood
Zealot

Quote:
why bolder? shouldn't be better more separation between the characters and a bit bigger?

I personally don't find them (the menus) small, maybe people is used to low resolution screens with big characters, but well i guess is just a matter of tastes.
You must have very good eyes, or I, very bad ones. Anyway, maybe we could be offered a choice. I think it's good policy to try to keep everybody happy.

it would be really nice to see the results of an edit (ie- zoom, font, font size, margin, etc…) without leaving the edit menu, allowing to easily correct a setting, or compare different views. It is a standard feature in some other e-readers and I think it would greatly enhance the friendliness of use of the interface of the i62HD Firefly (or normal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maremagnum : that could be a bit tricky to make because you need to render two parts of the screen separately, currently all is see are overlays, i agree could be useful
How do the other e-readers do it ? Most of them (kindle, kobo, bookeen at least) have that feature.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #164
Maremagnum
Future's Shadow

Quote:

How do the other e-readers do it ? Most of them (kindle, kobo, bookeen at least) have that feature.
yep i don't know, i was just thinking out of loud, i said it could be complicated because no idea how many people are working on the firmware (our firmware), one? two? X
Old 01-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #165
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
According to ereader-store.de: ONYX BOOX i62HD FIREFLY 8GB / 256MB (256MB of DDR memory, I suppose). My wild guess: so it can run Android in the future. As an early adopter I'm stuck with 128MB. Oh well...
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote