Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
ereaderundecided
Connoisseur
ereaderundecided began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Your experience with the Onyx Boox I62HD

I would like to hear the Top 3 pros and Top 3 cons of the device of people that actually have the ereader themselves.
ereaderundecided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I've only had mine for a few days, so I don't think I can do the pro/con thing you ask for. There are quite a few things I know I want to try with it that I haven't done yet; some of them might become cons if they shouldn't work.

So far it's only pros.

The HD display is just wonderful. I can read smaller fonts than on standard definition, which means fewer page turns. Graphics display is also very nice. I've read a comic book with lots of different colours and shades, and it looked really nice in greyscale on the i62HD; 6" obviously isn't the ideal size for comics reading, but I found it quite easy to set the display up the right way.

Speaking of comics - the multi-format support is a very nice thing; haven't tried all the possible formats yet, though.

Handling is great and very intuitive. I just like having it in my hands and reading. But mind you, my only other e-reader was a Hanvon, so probably anything would have been an upgrade in that department. ;-)

Another important part in my decision to buy (from ebook-store.de) was played by the fact that I could see here in these forums that the seller is someon who knows his stuff, is actively involved in the improvement of the device and so I will be able to count on informed answers to any questions and help with any problems.

As you can see, I'm very happy with my decision so far, but maybe some peopüle who have had the i62HD a bit longer will chime in as well. I think you get a good impression by reading other threads here, also those about other e-readers. I spent an evening doing just that before I decided to buy the i62.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 01:46 AM   #3
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Pros:
  1. Excellent hardware: HD display and good build quality
  2. Good software (particularly the inclusion of FBReader)
  3. For somebody who could not try-before-buy, the availability of a manual online (this cuts down the uncertainty about the likely reader-experience considerably -- and meant that I had reasonable certainty about (2) before purchasing)

Cons:
  1. Counter-intuitive page-turn button assignments (I'm still frequently, but mistakenly, pushing the bottom-right button for next-page).
  2. More limited customisation options than my old PB360 (though mitigated somewhat by options in Dmitry's OTFM). The ones that I miss most are button-reassignment (see above) and the ability to set last-page-viewed as load-up screen.
  3. The touchscreen, a bunch of minor niggles. (i) Lack of a button to turn off/on the touchscreen. I'm not sure anybody does this, but it would be a really good idea. Although the touchscreen is very handy when you're navigating between books or changing settings, you're only doing this 1-5% of the time. The rest of the time the touchscreen is simply an accidental-command waiting to happen. (ii) Touchscreen icons set too closely to the corners to be easy to press. (iii) Touchscreen items displayed so closely together that it is too easy to press the wrong one by mistake (this is particularly a problem with the recently-read list.

I would point out that my 'Cons' are more minor caveats on my #2 'Pro', as opposed to anything major in their own right. Overall, I'm very happy with my i62HD, both as good value-for-money/reading-experience and as demonstrably the best eReader for my needs currently available.

Addendum & counter-caveat to Con#2 above -- I definitely prefer Onyx's listing eBooks by filename as opposed to Pockbook's listing by title-metadata. It makes it far easier to arrange book-series into their correct reading order.

Last edited by Hrafn; 09-07-2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Addendum & counter-caveat
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
ereaderundecided
Connoisseur

Thanks guys for the good feedback!

@Hrafn: The http://ereader-store.de version is different from what I heard. Where did you download the manual from?

It'll be interesting to see how these devices stack up and will change with the new ones coming out from Kobo and Kindkle (although not from a format perspective).

I'm still very conflicted with my choices PocketBook 622, Onyx Boox I62HD & the Sony Reader PRS-T2. Maybe a manual for the Onyx Boox I62HD would really help.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
ereaderundecided
Connoisseur

I was wondering how is the page refresh of the Onyx Boox I62HD? Does it refresh on every page?
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #6
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
You can set this yourself. Options are: every page, every 3/5/7/9 pages, or never. Default setting was every 3 pages, if I remember correctly. I set it to every 5 and am happy with that.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:07 AM   #7
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereaderundecided View Post
@Hrafn: The http://ereader-store.de version is different from what I heard. Where did you download the manual from?
http://www.onyx-boox.ru/files/ONYX_B..._MANUAL_en.pdf

(The hardware changes slightly, distributor to distributor, but the software seems the same, give or take the Polish site's weird text-to-voice software.)

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see how these devices stack up and will change with the new ones coming out from Kobo and Kindkle (although not from a format perspective).
It will be, but I must admit that their imminent arrival does little to make me question the optimality of my decision. I prefer Onyx/Pocketbook's paradigm of eReader-as-pure-eReader, as opposed the majors' (Amazon, B&N, Sony & Kobo) paradigm of eReader-as-sales-portal (also Kindle doesn't do epub, which my entire collection is in). I have a computer. It is far better suited for searching for, buying & downloading eBooks than any eReader could be.

Quote:
I'm still very conflicted with my choices PocketBook 622, Onyx Boox I62HD & the Sony Reader PRS-T2. Maybe a manual for the Onyx Boox I62HD would really help.
I looked at the PB622 & rejected it as being cutting-edge price for old tech (non-HD, capacitive touchscreen). The hardware on the PRST2 is hardly changed from the PRST1 (and again is non-HD).
Old 09-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #8
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
You can set this yourself. Options are: every page, every 3/5/7/9 pages, or never. Default setting was every 3 pages, if I remember correctly. I set it to every 5 and am happy with that.
I have mine set on "every" (which I think is in fact the default), which still yields page-transitions so fast as to be virtually instantaneous (and certainly far faster than my old PB360, which was slow-but-still-acceptable).
Old 09-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #9
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Pros: great resolution so fonts look great. FBreader has many adjustment options. FAST page turns. This is good because the partial refresh sucks, it ghosts even at every third turn. But it's so fast that full refresh seems like partial. The body design is good with arubbery back and rounded edges.

Cons: It's heavy at 250 g though that hasn't bothered me as much as I thought. You have to strip the DRM off of your books if you want to use FBreader or Coolreader. Many of the menu languages are a sham (a language can be chosen but the menu isn't acctually translated) The page turn buttons are bad. Also sometimes the page turns backwards instead of forwards whilst tapping. The text-to speak is much worse than the Kindle. Lastly the price, it's expensive in comparison to other readers. You do get a realy nice cover with the reader but frankly I would rather have had the option to buy the case seperatly.

It's currently my favorite. But with a new T2 ordered and the Kobo Glo on my wish-list I doubt it will be for much longer.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:57 AM   #10
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
The page turn buttons are bad.
I found them to be not-nearly-as-bad as I was lead to expect, and definitely far superior to those on the PB360. "A little finicky" would be the worst description I'd give for them.

Quote:
It's currently my favorite. But with a new T2 ordered and the Kobo Glo on my wish-list I doubt it will be for much longer.
I didn't get the impression that the T2 was much of an improvement over the T1 (which has been available for a year or so). I'm interested to see what the hands-on reviews for the new Kobo are like, but given the negative comments I've heard about Kobo software, I have no buyer's remorse about buying the i62HD without first doing a head-to-head.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
You have to strip the DRM off of your books if you want to use FBreader or Coolreader.
But on ereader-store.de I read: 'i62 now supports Adobe DRM for both EPUB and PDF formats as well as DJVU.'

Although this wouldn't really bother me, I do immediately strip DRM off every book I acquire, but I'd like to have this clarified...
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:42 AM   #12
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneT View Post
But on ereader-store.de I read: 'i62 now supports Adobe DRM for both EPUB and PDF formats as well as DJVU.'
It does support it, but it means that you have to use the Adobe Digital Editions app, rather than FBreader or Coolreader (neither of which support DRM) in order to read them.

It's a downside of any DRM scheme that it locks you into the DRM-owner's app, with whatever features the owner sees fit to allow you (until said owner goes belly-up, or decides not to support that format anymore, at which time it's likely that your whole collection evaporates ).