Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-03-2007, 08:46 AM   #16
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is pure FUD. Mobi shut down their own servers because of a suspected security breach - a highly courageous and ethical things to do. They were completely open about the reason it had occurred after the event.
The quote in the original message is from the BonB president !!. I do not particularly care about drm Mobipocket since I never purchased one.

I still believe that Amazon shunning it for Kindle is not that encouraging a sign for that format which is one more reason for me to avoid it.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:55 AM   #17
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixB View Post
Yes, you even need Internet Explorer to download the lit books from BooksOnBoard (at least, it didn't work for me with Firefox).
Actually you do not need IE, you need the IE tab in Firefox and switch to it after purchase, relog in and download. The crucial thing you need is an activated MS reader on your desktop, though you do not need to open it at any point in the process.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2007, 02:10 PM   #18
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
But you do need a Windows system to purchase the book; a LIT book can only be purchased on a Windows machine with an "activated" copy of Microsoft Reader on it. We are discussing the legal removal of DRM from legally-purchased books here, naturally.
That I did not know. So why are so many people here saying that you have lit books available to the Sony without saying that you have to have a Windows machine? For me these books are not available since it is to much trouble and I do not want to support Windows by using it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
That I did not know. So why are so many people here saying that you have lit books available to the Sony without saying that you have to have a Windows machine?
Perhaps because it would be a bit silly to buy a Sony Reader if you didn't have (or at least have access to) a Windows machine. It's dependent on Windows for the Connect Store, firmware upgrades, etc. It is reasonable to assume that someone who has a Sony Reader has access to a Windows machine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:28 PM   #20
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
ooops

I dont have a PC or even access to a pc! I have a mac and a linux machine.

And have had no probs using the Reader at all, I will use the connect store through bootcamp to DL books.

I read these forums over and over before buying it thoiugh and realised I wouldnt actually need a windows machine. I doubt however most people would operate in that way.

Last edited by stustaff; 12-03-2007 at 05:30 PM.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2007, 08:06 PM   #21
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Perhaps because it would be a bit silly to buy a Sony Reader if you didn't have (or at least have access to) a Windows machine. It's dependent on Windows for the Connect Store, firmware upgrades, etc. It is reasonable to assume that someone who has a Sony Reader has access to a Windows machine.
I don't have a PC. My access to a PC is inconvenient (at best). Fortunately, I don't really care about the connect store as long as they insist on DRM-ridden content (and over-priced, to add insult to injury). My interest would pick up (some) if they dumped the DRM.

I'm happily using my prs500 with my Macs and Libprs500. Remind me why it would be silly to buy a Sony Reader without having a Windows machine?

Xenophon

P.S. I spend hundreds of dollars on eBooks each year. I think I'm the kind of customer Sony would be interested in capturing and satisfying. So why do they insist on ignoring my platform of choice? Even though it's now back up above 10% (of home machines) in the US market? Oh, right. Windows is the "standard"...
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:39 PM   #22
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Of course I have access to a PC so I can do a firmware update if necessary. But these are things that happens so seldom that I can live with it. I do not buy any item for which I have to use a Windows machine regularly. And I was seriously considering buyng a Sony because people said that lit format could be converted to a Sony. Fortunately I bought a Cybook instead.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:40 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
ooops

I dont have a PC or even access to a pc! I have a mac and a linux machine.

And have had no probs using the Reader at all, I will use the connect store through bootcamp to DL books.

I read these forums over and over before buying it thoiugh and realised I wouldnt actually need a windows machine. I doubt however most people would operate in that way.
If you have bootcamp then you do, in essence, have access to a Windows machine!
Old 12-04-2007, 03:42 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
I'm happily using my prs500 with my Macs and Libprs500. Remind me why it would be silly to buy a Sony Reader without having a Windows machine?
How would you do a firmware upgrade? That relies on Windows. Works fine with "Bootcamp" but don't try it with "Parallels".
Old 12-04-2007, 03:46 AM   #25
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I use a MacBook Pro and use bootcamp to run XP. I regard that as a windows machine since that is the os it runs on.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:49 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Absolutely right, Martin!
Old 12-04-2007, 06:39 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Thanks Wolfman.

Where can I get ConvertLIT and lit2lrf? I use Windows XP so that shouldn't be a problem
You can find ConvertLIT via a Google search. lit2lrf is part of libprs500 which you can get here.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:21 PM   #28
marielle
marielle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Sony 505
Hi, I'm a new Kindle owner (actually in a couple of days) and I've never owned an ebook reader before. I just want to make sure I understand this. One book I want to read is "The Other Boleyn Girl" but Amazon does not have this book in a Kindle version but if I understand what this thread is saying, I can purchase an MSReader version here:

http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...ok&BOOK=107916

And then use "ConvertLit" to some other format and then mobipocket creator to convert it for my Kindle?

I really hope this is true.

Update: I couldn't wait for an answer from you guys so I did these steps:

1. Installed MSReader (had to get MS Passport, kind of a pain)

2. Bought the book (using IE, yuk)

3. Downloaded ConvertLitGui and followed instructions in readme to set up my key

4. Converted the book using ConvertLitGui

5. Converted the HTML folder to a prc using MobiPocket Creator

It looks fine in the emulator so I'll be able to read it when my kindle gets here in a couple of days. This is GREAT

Last edited by marielle; 12-06-2007 at 11:30 PM. Reason: couldn't wait
marielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:31 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Your process for converting is correct. It should be fine on the Kindle when you get it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:30 PM   #30
cherdman
Enthusiast
cherdman began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X51v
Dang I just purchased Dreamsongs Volume I and II from Fictionwise.com for a cool $42 ($21 each). Looks like I could have purchased them together for $20 for both from BooksOnBoard.com...

I do have $18 in Micropay now so I guess it's a wash...moral of the story is to definitely shop around...
cherdman is offline   Reply With Quote