Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-13-2011, 11:59 AM   #211
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Thanks for that, also it appears that sections are missing, e.g. how to connect to a wifi network, or downloading from Google Books or the public library (the parts I was most interested in, naturally).
It was posted in July, this is part of the FCC approval process.

This is not the "official" manual that will be shipping with the product, but it does give us some hints of what's coming.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #212
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
T1 User Manual from the FCC, credit for find goes to Mike Cain. The full FCC page is here. Link for the manual is at the bottom of the list.
What looks like a good find, but really isn't. This appears to be a very incomplete hacked up version of the PRS-950 manual, a work in progress. The features present in 950 but absent in T1 have been edited out, while no new features have been added in. Everything is TBD.

What do we know about the 2-page view? Probably that it is not there.

What do we know about Google Books? Public Libraries? Anything new?

One thing I am about 99% sure about: there is no Android there. The Engadget is either lying or being misled by know-nothin' Sony marketing. We will learn more when the new Reader starts shipping, but at this point all indicators are towards the same or similar version of Linux with Kinoma environment running native. Which for me makes total sense, as introducing an extra interpretation layer (Android JVM) without acquiring any new functionality while creating multiple low level software hurdles would be a serous waste of resources.

The "Manual" mentions purchasing books directly or via "bundled Reader software". Unless Sony spent a year coming up with something totally new, I am betting on Reader Library support. That's another major pointer against Android.

Having said that, however, I may very well be totally wrong.

Update: After reviewing the obviously Android "USB Connected" screen, I am now thoroughly convinced that Sony did put Android into the T1.

Last edited by porkupan; 09-13-2011 at 02:23 PM.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #213
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Thanks for that, also it appears that sections are missing, e.g. how to connect to a wifi network, or downloading from Google Books or the public library (the parts I was most interested in, naturally).
I didn't realize until afterwards that several of those apparently handy hyperlinks don't actually do anything. A few work...but only a few. It wasn't quite as helpful as I'd hoped.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #214
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
Well, if it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
a very incomplete hacked up version of the PRS-950 manual
then it tells us nothing - might be just "we need to include something that looks like a manual, but quick, I'm sending the application tomorrow" sort of thing and the real one will be completely different.
idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #215
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow, just because I'm a new member I'm getting ignored? Not enough "karma"?

Can some here please confirm or deny that any previous version of the Sony Reader actually has the screen shown on page 13 ... "Turn on USB storage" screen??

Last edited by log; 09-13-2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: adding screenshot
Advert
Old 09-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #216
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
I didn't see a question in your last two posts. What are you talking about?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #217
log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
I didn't see a question in your last two posts. What are you talking about?
Very funny. How about you stop editing peoples post when you quote them next time?

Quote:

Can some here please confirm or deny that any previous version of the Sony Reader actually has the screen shown on page 13 ... "Turn on USB storage" screen??

Old 09-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #218
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
None of the previous versions of the Sony Readers had this screen. I wonder, is it an Android "green man" symbol (ADB connection) in the upper left corner? If so, perhaps it really is Android...

Last edited by porkupan; 09-13-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #219
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Very funny. How about you stop editing peoples post when you quote them next time?
Calm down, sheesh.

I've never seen that screen even on my android devices.

And besides I see no reason Sony would even want to adopt Android. They are doing fine with their devices already. The 950 (which I no longer have) was great.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #220
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
I didn't edit, I cropped, because I was assuming that you weren't asking why people were ignoring the post that you were in the middle of writing. You did mention page 13 in a previous lost, but saying "I discovered ___" doesn't prompt people to reply, because it isn't a question.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #221
log

Thanks porkupan.

This, as well other evidence such as the hardware buttons, menu/popup UI in videos, and a confirmation by one the largest gadget news website on the internet -- we have seen more than enough to convince me that the new Sony Reader is indeed running on the Android OS.

If it doesn't convince others, you will have to wait until more official announcements will come from Sony, don't trust the mobileread newbie who found a needle in a haystack.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #222
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
I didn't realize until afterwards that several of those apparently handy hyperlinks don't actually do anything. A few work...but only a few. It wasn't quite as helpful as I'd hoped.
The

Quote:

You had not asked that question prior to when you became upset. Please review your posts. You may have started to ask, but nothing actually was posted.

No prior version had that. It automatically switches to be able to be mounted by the computer on older ones.

Quote:
It was simply not including the portion of the quoted post that he was not replying to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Calm down, sheesh.

I've never seen that screen even on my android devices.

And besides I see no reason Sony would even want to adopt Android. They are doing fine with their devices already. The 950 (which I no longer have) was great.
That exact screen, no. However, Android devices do have that same thing displayed, with the only difference being the image shows an Android on most devices instead of that generic USB logo.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #223
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
This, as well other evidence such as the hardware buttons, menu/popup UI in videos, and a confirmation by one the largest gadget news website on the internet -- we have seen more than enough to convince me that the new Sony Reader is indeed running on the Android OS.
The buttons didn't convince me. Sony had the "Back" button (a.k.a. "Menu") in several older versions of the Readers. In the past couple of years the physical Menu button was replaced by the "soft" "Menu" button, which had the same symbol (its actual function is always "up one level"). The menus are called via the "Option" button. Last year's models had a "Zoom" button, which was made obsolete by adding the multi-touch zoom capability to the touch screen.

The dialogs or menus (the ones I had seen in the videos) looked rather typical Sony/Kinoma. I am pretty sure it's Kinoma environment running on top of Android (similar to Sony Reader for Android). The Reader appears to be moving towards a single software baseline, and that baseline is Android based.

It will be fun to watch if there is enough interest in the Android rooting community, a couple of years after the first nook. If the Reader is successfully rooted, I expect Sony to end up selling a lot of hardware and very little content. The people will buy Sony Readers for the sake of rooting them and installing better reading apps, such as FBReaderJ, CoolReader, Nomad Reader, etc. for DRM-free content.

Last edited by porkupan; 09-13-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #224
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
The

You had not asked that question prior to when you became upset. Please review your posts. You may have started to ask, but nothing actually was posted.

No prior version had that. It automatically switches to be able to be mounted by the computer on older ones.

It was simply not including the portion of the quoted post that he was not replying to.

That exact screen, no. However, Android devices do have that same thing displayed, with the only difference being the image shows an Android on most devices instead of that generic USB logo.
Well then you need to describe exactly how to see that screen because as I said I've never seen it or anything like it (logo or not) and I've using and programming Android for over a year now on a variety of devices.

Not saying it doesn't exist, I'd love for you to detail how I see it though. (maybe it is only while charging?)

Last edited by kennyc; 09-13-2011 at 03:25 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #225
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:

Wow, that is one fancy looking screen!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote