Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-06-2008, 05:46 AM   #1
javimm
Connoisseur
javimm began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Almost decided: Question about WH Smith

Hi.

I asked some days ago about buying a Cybook or Hanlin, and the price I could get them in Spain. The best option was to order the Cybook to WH Smith, and get it sent to Spain. Anyway, my parents are going to London for a short trip of 3 or 4 days in December 5th, so the problem is solved!!. The price of WH Smith is great.

Here are my questions.
I read somewhere that you can order the Cybook in the e-store of WH Smith and get it delivered to a WH Smith brick and mortar shop, and pick it up there. Is that correct?. How much time do they take to ship a Cybook?. I should be ordering it with enough time, so they have it in the store before my parents go there to pick it up.

I've read about discount codes for WH Smith. Do they exist and can I use them for the Cybook?.

Thank you very much.
javimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:15 AM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Yes you can get them to deliver to any one of their shops, That is how I got mine as I wouldn't have been home to collect it.

Delivery is probably dependant on stocks, ie is it in stock? If it is in stock it probably won't take long, however they do email you when it has been shipped. (It is sent by courier) and I allowed a couple of days before I went to collect it.

(Collecting it may have some difficulty as the shops don't sell them & so can't seem to decide which department you should go to to try to pick it up, however after a bit of department wandering, one of the Managers found it for me).

Your parents would need to take the order No/Reference (I took a print out of my order & that was fine).
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:58 AM   #3
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
well as mentioned, if it's in stock it ships pretty fast. I had mine on the 3rd day after placing my order.

As for the coupens, alas none are working right now. While the site will allow you to enter one and even apparently accept it, it'll get cancelled by cusmomer service in short order.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
javimm
Connoisseur

Thanks for the answers.

I'll get it with a couple of weeks of time in advance just to be sure.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Don't leave it too long without advising them & more importantly the shop else they may well return it as a "not collected".
Old 11-06-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
javimm
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Don't leave it too long without advising them & more importantly the shop else they may well return it as a "not collected".
Do you mean, I should better call the shop and tell them that it's going to be picked up a certain day?.

The Cybook is in Stock, so I suppose 3 days of delivery as stated is enough, so if I order it on December 1st, my parents could pick it up on 6th or 7th. That wouldn't be a problem, but I don't know their policies.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
pthwaite
Fanatic

Sorry, I thought you might order it now and still expect it to be in the shop in December

It would be prudent to contact the shop when you have been advised the order is despatched to confirm it has arrived, allow a couple of days.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #8
javimm
Connoisseur

Another question about WH Smith. Do they have the Cybook in the physical store, or do they only carry them when you order them online?. As I said, my parents are going there in December, but my Grandmother is ill, so I it's possible that they cancel their trip. Too risky to order the Cybook and then get their trip cancelled :-( .
If they do have them in the store, is the price the same as the one their webpage?.

Thanks again,
Javier.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Only on-line.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #10
javimm
Connoisseur

Thanks, Harry. So I guess I'll end up buying one here in Spain. I have to decide now between the Cybook and Hanlin, and they cost the same here, 300 euros.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #11
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

In Apollo XXI (http://www.apoloxxi.com) you can get the Cybook for 280 euros (same price as Bookeen online shop).

Good shopping,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:32 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimm View Post
Thanks, Harry. So I guess I'll end up buying one here in Spain. I have to decide now between the Cybook and Hanlin, and they cost the same here, 300 euros.
I'd suggest that you base your decision on what you want to read. The Hanlin supports a much wider range of formats, but the CyBook handles MobiPocket books a LOT better than the Hanlin (and is better for PDF too, I believe, but I don't read those myself).
Old 11-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #13
javimm
Connoisseur

I've made my decision finally. I'm buying the Hanlin because of three reasons:

- The girl at the store in my city (Apollo XXI store in Madrid) told me that they are selling WAY more Hanlins than Cybooks, and clients have never complained about Hanlins. They have two clients that returned their Cybooks as defective units; it might be a defective batch, though, I don't know.

- I get a 2 Gb SD card, case, and charger that I'd have to buy for the Cybook. That would make the price 30-40 euros more expensive, and I wanted to pay 300 euros max.

- Hanlin seems to be more active in development. I can use Openinkpot too.

I've been trying to convert pdfs and txt/html to Mobipocket with Book Designer these last days and it's quite easy.

I'm going to read Mobipocket files mainly, made by myself. Text only. Non-DRM, as I hate DRM and can't find much in Spanish anyway.

Harry, you say that Mobi support in the Cybook is way better than in the Hanlin. What is lacking in the Hanlin of the Mobipocket support, or what problems does the Hanlin have with prc files?
Old 11-13-2008, 02:48 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimm View Post
Harry, you say that Mobi support in the Cybook is way better than in the Hanlin. What is lacking in the Hanlin of the Mobipocket support, or what problems does the Hanlin have with prc files?
Lots of things, unfortunately, among which are:

- Dictionary lookup.
- The ability to load any TrueType or OpenType font and view any book in any font.
- Change between "left" and "full" justification.

and just generally a "nicer" appearance on the Gen3.

Hopefully Mobi support will be improved on the Hanlin, but at the moment there's no doubt that the Gen3 is just way better in this specific area.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:31 AM   #15
javimm
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Lots of things, unfortunately, among which are:

- Dictionary lookup.
- The ability to load any TrueType or OpenType font and view any book in any font.
- Change between "left" and "full" justification.

and just generally a "nicer" appearance on the Gen3.

Hopefully Mobi support will be improved on the Hanlin, but at the moment there's no doubt that the Gen3 is just way better in this specific area.
I've read that the Hanlin allows to change fonts too. At least it's what the manual says. Any experiences?.

About justification, I've seen images of the Hanlin that are full justified. That's a big decision maker for me. I don't want to read a book left justified, as almost all p-books are full justified. Harry, do you say that the Hanlin doesn't have full justification?.

About dictionary, I don't use them anyway, so it's not a big deal for me. Fonts and justification are.