Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #751
TheMongoose
TheMongoose began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Could you suggest a free image processing tool I could use to check these, rather than having to restart the kindle every time I find one and it locks up haha? It seems there are quite a few it takes objection to...
TheMongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #752
TheMongoose

Also, it seems that several of them are images I've SEEN it display, so I know it's able to, even if it doesn't like to. It also seems strange that it would do it EVERY time I let it sleep by itself, since if it's only certain images that are breaking it, it ought to land on an acceptable image at least SOME of the time...
Old 09-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #753
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@TheMongoose: The sneaky thing is that as soon as it hits something it doesn't like, everything is broken until a reboot, so it's not always fun to diagnose :/

I'm usually using The GIMP when I need an UI, or ImageMagick when I don't .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #754
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMongoose View Post
Could you suggest a free image processing tool I could use to check these, rather than having to restart the kindle every time I find one and it locks up haha? It seems there are quite a few it takes objection to...
For simple command-line usage, I mostly use ImageMagick, more specifically, its identify command:
Code:
ixtab@mbp:/tmp/cm$ identify a_none.png 
a_none.png PNG 758x1024 758x1024+0+0 8-bit PseudoClass 256c 31.6KB 0.000u 0:00.000
Other than that: gimp (but that's probably overkill).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #755
TheMongoose

Well, it would seem that it was indeed some image(s) or other which were causing the problem. I removed all but one known to work and it seems to work fine, even when allowed to set its own bedtime. Unfortunately, I can't make heads or tails of ImageMagick, so it would seem I'm stuck adding back a few at a time and testing the hard way, then discarding those that don't work .
Old 09-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #756
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@TheMongoose: If you can, run all your images through identify, the expected output should be something like what ixtab posted (the key parts being the resolution: 758x1024, and the format: PNG 8-bit 256c).

A simple batch job will probably be the quickest way to do that.

---

Hopefully, @srm's issue will also be fixed in the next release, which should make the cover mode much more lenient with old/broken mobi files, and try harder at using *someting* as the cover. For those files, in might not always be the actual proper cover, but in most cases, it will be .
Old 09-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #757
TheMongoose

Err, I'm afraid you're going to have to simplify it further still, as I'm barely a neophyte when it comes to that kind of stuff. I've made a batch file once before to get around an obnoxious startup issue for a game, but I had step by step instructions :S. By the way, thank you both for your help, it is greatly appreciated, if poorly understood.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #758
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@TheMongoose:

Running a simple batch script from a terminal in the screensavers directory should do the job.

So, paste this into an id.bat file in the screensavers directory, and double click it.

Code:
@echo off
for /r %%i in (*) do identify %%i
PAUSE
Then pore over the output until you spot a file that looks wrong .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-11-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #759
TheMongoose

Excellent, I think I've got things working again! Thanks again for your help, mates!
Old 09-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #760
makyostudios
makyostudios began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Just a quick note, my kindle ran an auto update that stopped my custom screensavers. At version 5.3.6 now I was afraid that the jailbreak was messed up too but after rerunning the screensaver hack the custom screensavers were back. No need to downgrade versions or rejailbreak. It was very easy and I think shows how strong the jailbreak methods you guys have created really are.
makyostudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #761
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by makyostudios View Post
Just a quick note, my kindle ran an auto update that stopped my custom screensavers. At version 5.3.6 now I was afraid that the jailbreak was messed up too but after rerunning the screensaver hack the custom screensavers were back. No need to downgrade versions or rejailbreak. It was very easy and I think shows how strong the jailbreak methods you guys have created really are.
Parts of the jailbreak should be re-installed after a firmware update.
Directions: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198446

We also support various methods to control and/or prevent the forced OTA updates.
You might want to install one or more of them.

Last edited by knc1; 09-14-2013 at 09:32 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #762
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released Python 0.7.N & ScreenSavers 0.13.N!

Mostly updated binaries, plus the cover fixes mentioned earlier .
Old 09-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #763
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Err, *whistles*...

ScreenSavers 0.14.N?

Fix a tiny bit of what should have been fixed in 0.13.N regarding the cover detection, and a preview KUAL button for the cover mode.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #764
TheMongoose

I'm back :S. Things seemed to be working well for a while again, but now my kindle seems to have just kicked out the screensaver hack entirely and gone back to the default screensavers. I haven't connected to wifi or anything lately, and haven't done anything differently, it just decided to start using them again. What do?
Old 09-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #765
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@TheMongoose: Check your FW version, that sounds like an update...

The only other way you'd get the default screensavers is if you emptied your linkss/screensavers folder.

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch