Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 04:40 AM   #1
JPS
Connoisseur
JPS doesn't litterJPS doesn't litter

Device: iPad II
PRS-T2 VS PRS-650 ?

Hi !

I dropped my PRS-650 in my bath (!) and of course, it didn't like it at all !

Now I noticed that this model doesn't exist anymore, and it seems that it's been replaced by the PRS-T2 !!

What is the differences between those two readers ? Is the T2 better (I noticed that it's cheaper than the PRS-650 when it came out) ?

TIA for your thoughts....

J-P.

Last edited by JPS; 01-25-2013 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Typo !
JPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:01 AM   #2
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
JPS, oh dear, I can just see your reaction when you dropped the 650 in the bath!!!

You might want to open the Sony web site and look at the Specifications section for the T2.

It's too big to post into this thread.

A major difference is that it has wifi and Evernote and ADE built in.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool Ummm ......

Another major diff is it's nothing like the 650 ......

Nor was the T1 ..........

Both : WiFi, browser,plastic, lighter, nowhere for a stylus, better for screen adjust, T1 shiny, T2 matt ............... lots more .

I'm just breaking in a T2, looks and feels better than T1, especially the controls "feel" .......

However, if you love your old 'un, it is still just about possible to get new 6/350's , but they're scarce - and be careful, if you must have a box-new one, as there are a lot of refurb's about, many of which I'm sure are fine, but often say something like "seller refurbished" which I'd steer of, frankly.
Your "national" Sony site/store may have factory refurb's for sale, possibly worth ringing/emailing p'raps.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
JPS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
JPS, oh dear, I can just see your reaction when you dropped the 650 in the bath!!!
Fortunately those things are not linked to the 220 Volts system !

Quote:
You might want to open the Sony web site and look at the Specifications section for the T2.

It's too big to post into this thread.

A major difference is that it has wifi and Evernote and ADE built in.
Thanks for the tips ! I will look in the Sony site !

I know what WIFI is, but "Evernote" and "ADE"... !

J-P.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
JPS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Another major diff is it's nothing like the 650 ......

Nor was the T1 ..........

Both : WiFi, browser,plastic, lighter, nowhere for a stylus, better for screen adjust, T1 shiny, T2 matt ............... lots more .

I'm just breaking in a T2, looks and feels better than T1, especially the controls "feel" .......

However, if you love your old 'un, it is still just about possible to get new 6/350's , but they're scarce - and be careful, if you must have a box-new one, as there are a lot of refurb's about, many of which I'm sure are fine, but often say something like "seller refurbished" which I'd steer of, frankly.
Your "national" Sony site/store may have factory refurb's for sale, possibly worth ringing/emailing p'raps.
Thanks !

Good idea to ask directly to Sony if they've got refurbihed 650 ! I'll try that too !

J-P.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS View Post
Fortunately those things are not linked to the 220 Volts system !

Thanks for the tips ! I will look in the Sony site !

I know what WIFI is, but "Evernote" and "ADE"... !

J-P.
Evernote is cloud based personalised database program that is free or paid.

I use the free version and as far as I know that's the same as the paid version with the exception of sharing with greater than a certain number of people. So, if you want to multi share your stuff, say like a workplace etc then the paid version is the appropriate version.

It really is an excellent program for my needs, and it sits on all my devices: PC, laptop, tablet and phone.

ADE is the Adobe Digital Editions program that you probably have on your PC. Remember your ebooks are probably DRM restricted, and that's Adobe.

So, Sony built ADE into the T1 and T2 meaning that it saves you having to download a book to desktop first and then transferring to the device, instead you can buy ebooks and download using wifi on the T2 itself. (Well, that's my understanding, I don't have a T1 or T2)
Old 01-26-2013, 04:53 AM   #7
JPS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Evernote is cloud based personalised database program that is free or paid.

I use the free version and as far as I know that's the same as the paid version with the exception of sharing with greater than a certain number of people. So, if you want to multi share your stuff, say like a workplace etc then the paid version is the appropriate version.

It really is an excellent program for my needs, and it sits on all my devices: PC, laptop, tablet and phone.

ADE is the Adobe Digital Editions program that you probably have on your PC. Remember your ebooks are probably DRM restricted, and that's Adobe.

So, Sony built ADE into the T1 and T2 meaning that it saves you having to download a book to desktop first and then transferring to the device, instead you can buy ebooks and download using wifi on the T2 itself. (Well, that's my understanding, I don't have a T1 or T2)
Thanks a lot for the clarifications !

J-P.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:54 AM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I was divided for a while, and I own both devices (T1). I'm sorry to say it, but the 650 is superior, mainly because of the ability to customize the device with Prs+. The T1/T2 is android-based and can be hacked, but its a much more complex (and iffy) business and in most ways offers less rewards. You can't even organize books by folder. Over all the T1 / T2 is a cheap, backwards step.

Oh yeah, and the browsers crap because there is no text-reflow. You can maybe use Opera mini which is listed as working on the T2 but not the T1. But I read about a lot of people bricking their devices...I'm pretty au fait with computers but it looks a pretty user-unfriendly process to me.

Forget brand loyalty. The new Sonys are nothing special. The only potential advantage I see is that they run on Android and if I was going to go for an Android e-reader, I'd look at the lighted Nook. I think they handle rooting better and they have a lighted screen.

Oh, and I wouldn't buy new. Get a 650 refurb if you can. My first 650 died after 14 months because of the known power-switch fault. It would've cost me $150 bucks to repair plus shipping. I got two used devices of ebay for that price. They work and I don't use the power-switch.

In fact, I read the other day that the T1 has a flaky power-switch too and if it goes you have to replace the whole device...

Last edited by Rizla; 01-26-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:04 AM   #9
JPS
Connoisseur

Hi Rizla !

Too bad about the T2 news... and too bad for me too as I just ordered one T2 yesterday !

Ohhh well.... for the price, it will certainly do it's job: reading my Epub books in a smaller package than my Ipad !

J-P.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
If you aren't worried about it having a plastic case and feeling much lighter, and didn't use PRS+, you'll probably be delighted with your T2. It might not feel as robust and 'good quality', but the screen and speed improvement will be a plus.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Don't worry too much about your choice. I rarely use my x50 models anymore.I love my T2, and it has many advantages like lighter weight and superior looking text on the screen and whiter background. To me the Wi-fi access is important and ability to download books through the browser is great! I also like the browser better and Wikipedia access for word lookups. It also has variable fonts built-in and a wider range of font sizes. If your main goal is to just read books without tinkering with the Sony firmware, then the T2 is probably more than adequate for your needs and you will be delighted as I_macd said. Good luck! I hope you enjoy it!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Hi Rizla !

Too bad about the T2 news... and too bad for me too as I just ordered one T2 yesterday !

Ohhh well.... for the price, it will certainly do it's job: reading my Epub books in a smaller package than my Ipad !

J-P.
Let us know what you think after you get it. (Back in this thread maybe (?) so that anyone else wondering will be able to consider it)
Old 01-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Hi Rizla !

J-P.
No, it's an okay reader, but it's not as easily customisable as the x50s. That's my main criticism. Hopefully someone will put together an easy customisation package comparable to Prs+. Bear in mind, it's a lot cheaper than the 650 was too. I have a T1 and its fine. I just wish it was easier to customize the UI. Sony (and every other major manufacturer) are not known for getting the most out of their devices. I'm sure you'll like your device.

Last edited by Rizla; 01-26-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #14
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

JPS as soon as Sony puts out a 'lit' ereader then I'll buy it, and I guess that the first lit model will be the T2 with a front light (like the Kobo Glo, for example). But that guess is merely based on the thought that Sony probably wants to catch up and compete with the companies selling lit devices fairly quickly.

I prefer my 650 to the Glo, but I need the Glo for reading where the light is poorish because book lights aren't my preference.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
JPS as soon as Sony puts out a 'lit' ereader then I'll buy it, and I guess that the first lit model will be the T2 with a front light (like the Kobo Glo, for example). But that guess is merely based on the thought that Sony probably wants to catch up and compete with the companies selling lit devices fairly quickly.
Me too. I hope that Sony introduces a glow reader.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote