Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #136
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Hi Meme:

The latest update is running very well, one small thing. When I select the view report link after the collections have been completed, nothing happens.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #137
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Hi Meme:

The latest update is running very well, one small thing. When I select the view report link after the collections have been completed, nothing happens.
Thanks for running it and letting me know. I do all my testing on Linux and only at the end on Windows - so I picked up the preview report code didn't run on Windows but missed testing the View report.

Version 1.3.1 has been posted that fixes this - I knew something would get through
Old 02-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #138
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Thanks for running it and letting me know. I do all my testing on Linux and only at the end on Windows - so I picked up the preview report code didn't run on Windows but missed testing the View report.

Version 1.3.1 has been posted that fixes this - I knew something would get through
Works perfectly.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #139
eddyj
eddyj began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505, Kindle 2, 3, Touch
I just got my Kindle yesterday (after years with a Sony), and was bemoaning the lack of collections from Calibre, which I loved on the Sony. No sooner had I complained (elsewhere) that I was pointed (thanks trlowley) to this plug-n. This thing is AWESOME! Thank you very much!

So I created collections with Series and Tags, and all was great. But, when I try to do them based on author or author_sort, I get this error:

calibre, version 0.7.44
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>error</b>:unexpected end of regular expression

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Documents and Settings\eddyj\Application Data\calibre\plugins\Create Kindle Collections.zip\create_kindle_collections_code.py" , line 1470, in preview_activated
File "C:\Documents and Settings\eddyj\Application Data\calibre\plugins\Create Kindle Collections.zip\create_kindle_collections_code.py" , line 1211, in create_kindle_collections_gui_preview
File "C:\Documents and Settings\eddyj\Application Data\calibre\plugins\Create Kindle Collections.zip\create_kindle_collections_code.py" , line 668, in create_kindle_collections_main
File "C:\Documents and Settings\eddyj\Application Data\calibre\plugins\Create Kindle Collections.zip\create_kindle_collections_code.py" , line 429, in keep_existing_collections
File "C:\Documents and Settings\eddyj\Application Data\calibre\plugins\Create Kindle Collections.zip\create_kindle_collections_code.py" , line 277, in check_pattern
File "re.py", line 137, in match
File "re.py", line 245, in _compile
error: unexpected end of regular expression

I suspect maybe I have something weird in one of my author names, but before I start going crazy reviewing hundreds of books, I figured I's ask first if this is something easy to diagnose.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #140
eddyj
eddyj began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505, Kindle 2, 3, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
I suspect maybe I have something weird in one of my author names, but before I start going crazy reviewing hundreds of books, I figured I's ask first if this is something easy to diagnose.
OK, it broke because some of my author fields had a semi-colon in them. Once I removed those, it worked fine.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:09 AM   #141
msr
msr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Started playing with this and it seems to be working pretty well, with one exception. I want to exclude collections for tags enclosed by brackets []. I've tried using [.*] but it fails to exclude those tags (e.g., a tag like [test]). Other exclusions seem to work, but I think it's not recognizing the brackets correctly.

You actually use this as an example in the instructions, although for the general "do not overwrite" collections field, not the individual column exclusion field.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:18 AM   #142
Katdragon
Connoisseur
Katdragon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (currently out of commission), Kindle 3
Okay, so I'm an idiot - I installed the plugin and didn't back up the collections.json file. Despite the fact that I haven't actually created anything yet (just ran the preview file) when I hit the "preview without saving collections" button I get:

calibre, version 0.7.44
ERROR: Create Kindle Collections plugin: Unable to open Kindle file: E:\system\collections.jso

When I look in the actual Kindle folder it doesn't even have a "system" folder, let alone the collections.jso file.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Feel free to call me a n00b for not backing it up!
Old 02-11-2011, 04:31 AM   #143
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Version 1.3.2 uploaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioactivetoy View Post
I can get it to work, i'm getting this error:

error: unpack_from requires a buffer of at least 8 bytes
calibre, version 0.7.44
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>error</b>:unpack_from requires a buffer of at least 8 bytes
Thanks for reporting this - and identifying it was a book. In the latest version 1.3.2 I added code to check for additional invalid book formats in order to print a warning and not exist. Hopefully this will identify the book with the issue so you can reconvert it.

Last edited by meme; 02-11-2011 at 04:42 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:34 AM   #144
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
But, when I try to do them based on author or author_sort, I get this error:

calibre, version 0.7.44
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>error</b>:unexpected end of regular expression
I've added ; to my author names and it works fine. Odd. Newest 1.3.2 version now does some addition checks on patterns so it might pick up this error and give a warning. Can you test it with one original ; author name to see if it helps?
Old 02-11-2011, 04:38 AM   #145
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by msr View Post
Started playing with this and it seems to be working pretty well, with one exception. I want to exclude collections for tags enclosed by brackets []. I've tried using [.*] but it fails to exclude those tags (e.g., a tag like [test]). Other exclusions seem to work, but I think it's not recognizing the brackets correctly.

You actually use this as an example in the instructions, although for the general "do not overwrite" collections field, not the individual column exclusion field.
Always good to put an example in that doesn't work

You need to put a "\" before the "[" and the "]" since the brackets are special regex pattern characters, so use "\[.*\]".

I've updated the examples, added a note on patterns, and a tooltip in the GUI about it. Patterns can be confusing - but to get their benefit also means some confusion.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:41 AM   #146
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katdragon View Post
When I look in the actual Kindle folder it doesn't even have a "system" folder, let alone the collections.jso file.
Since you just ran preview, nothing has been changed.

Windows is hiding the directory from you since it doesn't trust you (well, not you in particular )

Depending on your version of Windows, go to the control panel under Appearances, change Folder options, and make sure the settings allow showing hidden files AND showing system files. Unfortunately the "system" directory is seen as a system file and needs the second option as well.

I've added a note about this in first post, so thanks.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:49 AM   #147
seaquay
seaquay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
It won't work, at least at the moment.

Testing this (and remembering to send the books with the new section/subsection/kindle columns to the device) shows me that the Calibre metadata is updated with the general column information.

Unfortunately, when using a custom column built from other columns with a template, Calibre only saves the template definition in the metadata.calibre file in the field 'display', and leaves the 'value' field blank. The plugin uses the 'value' field as the collection name.

Its possible that I could call the template parsing code to determine what the value should be - that wouldn't be for a while. Alternatively it could be considered a bug in Calibre - it should write out the value of the column as its known at the time it saves the metadata. Something we can ask Kovid.

I suspect there might be a similar issue with enumerated values - I haven't tested these and I can see that use the same display field to hold the template.
Can you tell me how to write some code, attached to a button, to fill in the value field of a column, even if it is hardcoded, based on a concatenation of the values in the two other columns since I do not know python. I know it is too much to ask, and has nothing to do with your plugin, but could you please please help. It will make life sooooo simple.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:51 AM   #148
Katdragon
Connoisseur
Katdragon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (currently out of commission), Kindle 3
Quote:
Since you just ran preview, nothing has been changed.

Windows is hiding the directory from you since it doesn't trust you (well, not you in particular )
Thanks meme,
Quite frankly I wouldn't trust me on a computer either .
I can see the system folder but still no collections.jso - I'm running Vista and have turned off the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)".

Any further thoughts?
Thanks!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:07 AM   #149
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaquay View Post
Can you tell me how to write some code, attached to a button, to fill in the value field of a column, even if it is hardcoded, based on a concatenation of the values in the two other columns since I do not know python. I know it is too much to ask, and has nothing to do with your plugin, but could you please please help. It will make life sooooo simple.
No need - Calibre 0.7.45 should have the updated code to populate those values in the metadata.calibre file on the Kindle so you can download and test when its released - thanks to Chaley!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:10 AM   #150
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katdragon View Post
I can see the system folder but still no collections.jso - I'm running Vista and have turned off the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)".
The file is really collections.json - don't know why the name is getting cut off.

Have you actually used collections on your Kindle before?

If you have, then the file should exist. If not, then there won't be a file to backup. Disconnect your Kindle, then go to the Sort by Collections view to check, or just pick a book and add it to a fake collection - that should force the file to get created - then you can reconnect and check.
Closed Thread