Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-21-2022, 05:52 PM   #1
FacetiousKnave
Unconscionable
FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle
Thumbs down Collections on Kindle Paperwhite incredibly slow

Hi all, I am new here and I really need some help.

Let me start by saying that I have been using Kindle devices for almost 10 years and over the time I have built a significant e-book archive (3,200), all of them organised in collections by author. This number of books never caused any particular issues in my old Kindle 7th, which is now 8 years old.

However, since I purchased a brand-new Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition something changed. After the last software update 5.14.3.2, when I display the list of collections, it takes almost 25 seconds just to scroll down from one page to another. What is really strange is that when I display the e-books as a list, the performance returns to normal.

I have restarted the device, did a factory reset, I also contacted Amazon customer service and they decided to send me a new a replacement. However, when I downloaded all my e-books and collections (a very exhausting process) the issue still occurs. Every time I display the collections, the device´s performance is just terrible.

Based on the fact that this is not happening because of the device itself, it is reasonable to believe that it must be the software. I have heard that the issue I am experiencing could be due to corrupt files, as I convert EPUBS to MOBI with Calibre. But if this was true, then why the problem only happens when I display collections?

Do you know what could be the reason for this? And have you experienced something similar?

Thanks.
FacetiousKnave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 07:57 PM   #2
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I think maybe the changes they've done to the software. I still use the Oasis 3 but I have noticed collections is slower when browsing that way since they did their new infrastructure change.

What really bugs me is when I'm trying to build a new collection on the Oasis device itself, like a few books for a challenge, and sort by "recent", add a book, it keeps popping back to alphabetical each time and makes me hit "sort by, recent" each time.

Collections just gets worse instead of improved since that feature came out on kindles.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2022, 08:24 PM   #3
FacetiousKnave
Unconscionable
FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle
Sure, it seems to me that the developers in charge of their software are not actually Kindle users, since with each update they are making the UI less agile and more unpractical. The fact that they replaced the alphabetical/numerical search with a sidebar to browse throughout your books makes you think that they may see the device as a tablet. Or perhaps I am wrong and their ideal customers are people with five books purchased on Amazon.
FacetiousKnave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:55 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacetiousKnave View Post
The fact that they replaced the alphabetical/numerical search with a sidebar to browse throughout your books makes you think that they may see the device as a tablet.
It seems that Amazon is trying to make the Kindle user interface match the Android and iOS app as much as possible, even when features are not suitable for an e-ink device. Perhaps because the majority of Kindle e-book reading is done in those apps these days.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 10:49 PM   #5
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It seems that Amazon is trying to make the Kindle user interface match the Android and iOS app as much as possible, even when features are not suitable for an e-ink device. Perhaps because the majority of Kindle e-book reading is done in those apps these days.
I get so many companies try to have a uniform design, but I miss the concept of having unique options for different devices. Creativity has gone downhill with websites especially the last 10 years.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
collections, kindle, paperwhite, performance