Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #16
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
One more agreeing with Patricia here. Loved the first third, did not care for middle third, and loved the last third again!
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #17
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I have this on my TBR pile, already purchased, just waiting in line. I have the chuck hogan books ready to go too.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #18
BecomingMe
BecomingMe is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Oh this book has me HOOKED(dang B&N for giving me the first 3 chapters, I fell for it, hook line and sinker)...I couldn't put it down...and just a note, it's not your "typical" type vampire story, so if you like the Stephen King, Dean Koontz type stories but not into vampires, you will still like it...I am not done yet (only at page 700)...but you can feel the fear...yet Mr. Cronin writes in hope, the hope for tomorrow, a better day, a new day, even when it seems that everything has ended...

And yes, I'm on team Amy...and to borrow a quote/lone from another book and movie (by Chuck Palahniuk)..."His name was Brad Wolgast"..."Her name was Lacey Antoinette Kudoto" (though not clear if they are dead or not)

Does anyone know when the next one is coming out? Because I am eagerly awaiting the next one!!!!

Last edited by BecomingMe; 01-17-2011 at 03:07 PM.
BecomingMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #19
DarkRoast
Enthusiast
DarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader 650
Are people reading this as an ebook? It doesn't seem to be available where I am as an ebook yet?
DarkRoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:16 PM   #20
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
This was on my To Buy list and then my partner bought is in paperback. Looks lovely on my bookshelf.

Looks like I'm in for a great read. Thanks for bumping this thread.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 10:36 PM   #21
DarkRoast
Enthusiast
DarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader 650
With everyone comparing this to The Stand, I feel I should read The Stand before The Passage... Stephen was there first after all. I should go grab it off the bookshelf. Its size has always been a big turnoff.
DarkRoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #22
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Well I guess I'm the only one... but I HATED this book! At 200 pages, I would have thought, eh, it was ok. But I rarely read long books and I feel cheated that I wasted my time on that one. I didn't care about one character. I thought the author was way too in love with his own writing. Too much backstory for minor characters. I didn't know it was a series, either, so the ending... well I didn't know it was a series, let's leave it at that.

I am on another "readers" message board and they all loved it too so I guess it's just me. I did get it as an epub from my public library so look for it there (since it seems like a lot of the libraries carry the same ebooks).

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #23
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
@elemenoP
No, you're not the only one. I managed to get through one third. The book could not keep my interest.
In my opinion, The Stand is really lots and lots better.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #24
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I've got this on my Kindle. Haven't started it yet, but am looking forward to it. I loved The Stand and Swan Song, so am hoping this is right up my alley.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #25
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Well Zetmolm, I think you made the right choice in stopping. I have never read The Stand but I will someday.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:13 PM   #26
BecomingMe
BecomingMe is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Darkroast, I read this as a nookbook, so yes, I was able to read it in eBook format.

I finished this book 1 day later (on the 18th) from my last posting...I really enjoyed it...I still cannot wait for the next one.

I understand it may not be everybody's cup of tea...really it reminded me of a the style of book in Fear Nothing by Dean Koontz...yet it skips from different viewpoints...but I kinda like that...
BecomingMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:19 AM   #27
shortywriter
shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I read this a few months back. It took me awhile to get through it because I was busy at the time with a family event. I hope to reread it again in a few months.
shortywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #28
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
I went through it pretty quickly, but I didn't think it was the best thing since sliced bread or anything. Like others said, the middle part dragged. Added to that, the three parts were completely different types of stories, with the middle part being a kind of story I've never been that into anyway, so for me it dragged even more. I'll read the next book, but I'm not in a big hurry for it.

(I did like The Passage much more than The Strain, though. I'll be skipping the rest of that trilogy.)
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #29
geleeregina
geleeregina began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I tried the first 15 pages, but had to put it down. Since having my son, I can't read anything with children (toddlers) where it is a "negative". The first few pages talking about Amy bothered me greatly. It's still on my "To Read" list, but I think it's a few years away.
geleeregina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #30
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Don't be put off by the fact that it's about vampires (sort of). I'm not a fan of vampire stuff but I thoroughly enjoyed this. It could have done with some editing to shorten it but overall a good read.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote