Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 03:52 AM   #1
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Border (Aust) to release SD card firmware images

I have been discussing the possibility with Paul from Borders customer service of Borders providing SD card images to Kobo owners who prefer to update via SD card than the problematic USB method.

Paul informed me a short while ago that they will indeed be providing such a link shortly.

This is good news and many thanks to Paul for his excellent customer service!

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...?t=1487342&p=6

Last edited by sabredog; 07-30-2010 at 03:55 AM. Reason: link to Whirlpool discussion added
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:09 AM   #2
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
I sure hope "Paul" has the total support of Kobo corporate, and is doing this with their permission. Anything less is a violation of (a) trust and probably (b) commercial software copyright laws.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 05:22 AM   #3
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would expect he been discussing this as he has told me with technical support and management.

How can it be a violation of trust, when it is a common delivery with other devices? Borders (Aust) and Kobo are taking a lot of flak over the firmware via USB upgrade issues.

Personally and I am sure many will agree with me, particularly Australians, that this is the proper approach more in-line to what other device manufacturers provide. That being a downloadable image or executable that the end user burns to disc or applied directly.

Paul has also advised that Kobo's currently being sold online or in stores in Australia will be firmware 1.4 powered devices.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:51 AM   #4
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I have been discussing the possibility with Paul from Borders customer service of Borders providing SD card images to Kobo owners who prefer to update via SD card than the problematic USB method.

Paul informed me a short while ago that they will indeed be providing such a link shortly.

This is good news and many thanks to Paul for his excellent customer service!

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...?t=1487342&p=6
Yippie!
There seems to be sign of intelligence on planet Earth.
Would it be possible to use that link?
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:19 AM   #5
sabredog

Why not, once he posts it
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 06:22 AM   #6
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Why not, once he posts it
I'd send him a chocolate bar, but it would melt on the
way around the globe. Remind me to send him virtual
chocolate.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:28 AM   #7
sabredog

I asked Paul about it a week or so ago to see what he could do. He told me he was going to discuss the idea with the right people.

I thought by letting him know there was a growing call for better firmware roll out, it might keep Borders (Aust) informed of the issue. I never expected an outcome like this.

Last edited by sabredog; 07-30-2010 at 06:30 AM. Reason: typos et al
Old 07-30-2010, 06:39 AM   #8
zoran
himself

Quote:
I asked Paul about it a week or so ago to see what he could do. He told me he was going to discuss the idea with the right people.

I thought by letting him know there was a growing call for better firmware roll out, it might keep Borders (Aust) informed of the issue. I never expected an outcome like this.
August release 1.5 would be perfectly scheduled.
And, yes, there is growing demand for SD card upgrade,
since it is flawless method.
Thank you for effort!
Old 07-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
JOCO_MKNZ
JOCO_MKNZ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Ereader
that is great news. I am very happy that the retailers are listening to our legitimate problems.
JOCO_MKNZ is offline   Reply With Quote