Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #91
brookietx
brookietx began at the beginning.

Device: Toshiba laptop & Axim X51v
Me too, but I've been doing it for so long that I'm ALMOST getting used to it. With mfg proprietary ways not much is OPEN SOURCE yet.
brookietx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #92
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookietx View Post
Me too, but I've been doing it for so long that I'm ALMOST getting used to it. With mfg proprietary ways not much is OPEN SOURCE yet.
They will get to it eventually..
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #93
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
cant wait for OPEN SOURCE
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #94
Ranga
Ranga began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
Got it - thanks! I guess there is hope...
The Iliad looks like the best bet - for me because of screen size. Cost is a concern though.
Tha ability to carry documents in such a nice sized reader would sure be nice.
Ranga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #95
gingercat
Connoisseur
gingercat began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
I've noticed some used ones for sale here recently. We got a second one a few months ago and it was in perfect condition. There is one online now for $NZ 390
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #96
stevenjotello
stevenjotello began at the beginning.

Device: none
This means that each device has software that can "support" DRM way or another. Although this is not directly relevant to the consumer, is a major publisher (unfortunately), which ultimately decide what to copyrighted material, is available on the device.
stevenjotello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #97
mclien
42, the answer
mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Pocketbook 603
I'm currently searching for a ebook reader for me.
What really annoys me, is the fact that nearly anybody uses linux kernels and other GPL software, but nearly no one respects the GPL!
Is there ANY company that does it "right". Would be an important argument to decide, which device to use. (at least to me).
AND it would be nice to have it in the matrix (if the company is in suspect to violate the PGL or not)
mclien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #98
gingercat
Connoisseur
gingercat began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclien View Post
I'm currently searching for a ebook reader for me.
What really annoys me, is the fact that nearly anybody uses linux kernels and other GPL software, but nearly no one respects the GPL!
Is there ANY company that does it "right". Would be an important argument to decide, which device to use. (at least to me).
AND it would be nice to have it in the matrix (if the company is in suspect to violate the PGL or not)
Apparently the same thing is happening with TV decoders using linux (& a surprising number of them do)
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:53 AM   #99
mclien
42, the answer
mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Pocketbook 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
Apparently the same thing is happening with TV decoders using linux (& a surprising number of them do)
I know. Bad world is this one. Thats why I use VDR on my "TV computer"
As a co-worker stated on his T-Shirt:
"I'd love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code"
mclien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #100
Milanya
Milanya began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRC-T2
I have had and used heavily a Sony 600 for about two years now. I am not sure how long it is going to last. I am currently looking at new budget ereades and considering Kobo Touch and Nook Simple touch. My issue is that I do not know how they work with sideloaded books.
Sony treats all books equally, I can use notes, dictionary, bookmarks with my sideloaded books as well as with the books I bought from Sony.

I have many books on my hard drive and I would like to be able to read them.

Which device (Kobo or Nook) is kinder to sideloaded books?
Milanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:44 PM   #101
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
Perhaps the Sony PRS-T1 is an option? MSRP is $149 last time I checked and you're already familiar with Sony's offerings.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #102
Milanya
Milanya began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRC-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJ View Post
Perhaps the Sony PRS-T1 is an option? MSRP is $149 last time I checked and you're already familiar with Sony's offerings.
I have been thinking about it. I even went to a Best Buy and looked at it and asked a sales person a ton of questions. But the thread about it freezing and crashing all the time is scaring me away. I do not want a device that does not work properly.
Milanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:53 AM   #103
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
The ECTACO Jetbook is still missing from the list.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #104
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Of course, it is not E Ink. It would be in a list of LCD display devices.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #105
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
A Dale said, the original Jetbooks are not EInk. The new Jetbook Color is EInk and will be on the list. It isn't generally available yet, but lots of the "Large Devices" have been entered before they are for sale.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote