Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 01:31 AM   #1
braver
Enthusiast
braver has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Amazon Kindle DX
"eBook versions of owned paper books" Popular Front

I've posted in in the Kindle forum, then realized it applies across the board.

Over the last 10 years, I've bought thousands of dollars worth of books on Amazon. Now that I've got the Kindle, I thought I'd be able to upgrade some of the heavier and more used ones to digital.

Alas, the "digital upgrade" feature only allows you to read page images on the Web.

To my request for Kindle versions of the books I own, when available, Amazon replied that currently they "don't have plans" to provide such.

I believe that as owners of paper books, we have every right to get the Kindle versions for free or only a nominal fee -- sharing the OCR and distribution costs, as well as transfer. Heck, I'd pay $5. Max. OK, $10... for some.

Now this won't happen unless we all self-organize and enlist journalists and congressmen in order for this to happen. In fact it applies to the whole ebook arena. What do you guys think? What is already done or being done on this front?
braver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:43 AM   #2
darylbrayman
Connoisseur
darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Mini, Glo, Aura and Aura H20
[QUOTE=braver;610373]
I believe that as owners of paper books, we have every right to get the Kindle versions for free or only a nominal fee -- sharing the OCR and distribution costs, as well as transfer. Heck, I'd pay $5. Max. OK, $10... for some. QUOTE]

Let me know how you make out. I can't wait to get in touch with iTunes and tell them since I own the Beatles White album on eight track I'd like the MP3 version for free or only a nominal fee.

Regards, Daryl
darylbrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2009, 01:54 AM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by braver View Post
I believe that as owners of paper books, we have every right to get the Kindle versions for free or only a nominal fee.
I'm not seeing the logic of this argument.

I have mass-market books I've bought; that doesn't entitle me to hardback versions or large print editions of the same books.

I have CDs I've purchased; that doesn't entitle me to free or low cost MP3s of the same songs.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:54 AM   #4
braver
Enthusiast

The contents is the same, and the fact that you don't think you're entitled to it in all possible shapes means you're still in the 20th century, or are a perfect customer for RIAA and the like, or both.

The 21st century model should be, you buy content at a certain a level of quality, and then are entitled to it in all media forms.

Why would one have to re-buy a book in an incompatible format? Why would one have to re-buy a song he owns on iTunes for some other format?

Amazon has a way to prove that you bought the paper book, convey it to the publisher, and deliver you an ebook for less.

Pragmatic Programmers and Manning and O'Reilly do it on their own for computer books, although in different ways, and it should be encouraged and standardized.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:22 AM   #5
darylbrayman
Connoisseur
darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Mini, Glo, Aura and Aura H20
I agree that it makes sense, but imagine this senerio. I get Dan Browns newest book (can't imagine why I would) wrap it up and send it to a deserving family member (one who has a birthday upcoming:-) Then turn around and get my ebook version. I realise I could have read the original before I sent it, but that's tacky and they would know. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Regards, Daryl
darylbrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2009, 03:32 AM   #6
braver
Enthusiast

I don't see a problem with gifting Dan Brown (composting would work too in that specific case) and getting a Kindle version for $1. Publisher just made $.50 or so.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:35 AM   #7
braver
Enthusiast

About 8-track tapes, betamax, etc., -- this all predates Amazon. There's no cheap -- almost free and immediate -- way to verify ownership of content in brick-and-mortar format.

On Amazon, bn.com, and other Internet stores, you finally can consolidate all your holdings and DEMAND the same content on all media! Sure, let's pay $1 or $5 for a different one. But Amazon and B&N will *have to* come around to this model in order to compete, IMHO.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:48 AM   #8
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I'd like to think so too, but it just won't work.

I can't make amazon give me MP3s in exchange for my CDs. I have to do this myself.
You, too, can do this yourself. Buy a scanner and digitize your books.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:57 AM   #9
bavardage
Enthusiast
bavardage began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which is illegal in the UK
<3 copyright law.
bavardage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:12 AM   #10
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
I believe that as owners of paper books, we have every right to get the Kindle versions for free or only a nominal fee -- sharing the OCR and distribution costs, as well as transfer. Heck, I'd pay $5. Max. OK, $10... for some.
Does it occur to you that the publisher of the printed version and the digital version may be two different companies in some cases? So why should publisher B give you something for free you paid publisher A for?

Quote:
The 21st century model should be, you buy content at a certain a level of quality, and then are entitled to it in all media forms.
Nice, maybe it'll be the next amendment to the Constitution ...

Quote:
Which is illegal in the UK
Which isn't in Germany, as long as the copy is for your private use only.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:53 AM   #11
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by braver View Post
Using this logic, amazon should ship out a paperback version of every book you buy as a hardback since surely hardback prices should exceed that threshold if anything does.

As people have mentioned already, you can gift, compost or sell the original book even if it does show as a purchase and if you choose that latter option then you could practically get your books for free with negligible gain for the publisher and author because they would have lost the paper book sale due to you selling that secondhand.

Last edited by Crowl; 09-30-2009 at 05:57 AM.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:55 AM   #12
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Quote:
Great word...ENTITLED. What are you ENTITLED to? As Americans, (if u happen to be in the US) life liberty & the pursuit of happiness? That word implies a God Given Right to something. Younger folks (Typically) have a skewed notion of what they are ENTITLED to. Gimme, gimme, gimME!

We also have this concept of Free Enterprise....I work hard to make money, so I can buy stuff!!! Companies are ENTITLED (ahem) to charge you for their 'stuff'!!! People like you and me work for them...we need those jobs for all that stuff we buy!!

Quote:
Does it occur to you that the publisher of the printed version and the digital version may be two different companies in some cases? So why should publisher B give you something for free you paid publisher A for?
Yep....ya probably should think these things thru a little more.

Quote:
Now this won't happen unless we all self-organize and enlist journalists and congressmen in order for this to happen. In fact it applies to the whole ebook arena. What do you guys think? What is already done or being done on this front
No "front"....it's a non-issue....no Pete Seeger singing a Woody Guthrie song about solidarity, unite-ing, organizing.
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:01 AM   #13
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
While the initial premise is somewhat unrealistic, you do have to wonder why more publishers don't try and do things like bundle special hardback editions along with the ebook version, its something that would require dedicated fans to make it worth it, but then again so would any kind of limited edition you would think.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:38 AM   #14
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Because the user could then resell the hardcover book, probably for as much as they sell in stores, and keep the ebook. It'd be like selling 2 books for the price of one ... who needs 2 books?

I mean, it would be amazing, but I highly doubt that this will happen.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:04 AM   #15
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
And people say this generation doesn't have an over-inflated sense of entitlement...
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lobby, upgrade