Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-13-2008, 05:23 AM   #1
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
Lightbulb Tool to easily clean and refurbish html-text before conversion

What I was looking for was an easy way to go through the html-files I created before I formated them to mobi.
I used to use a simple text editor to go through the source and then check the result in a browser, but this is rather annoying with long documents.

While searching for a simple WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) I was very close to desperation as there are thousands of them out there, some even free - but the main problem was that they created bulky code and there was no way to force them not to.
I know that bookdesigner is a tool to do it, but I never found it to be intuitive and I had a lot of trouble editing non english books.

Even though my requirements were simple (at leasts I thought so ) it took me a lot of tries to find the perfect program:

I finaly ended up with kompoZer, an unofficial successor of Nvu.

It allows to
  • edit the text directly in HTML view (WYSIWYG)
  • also view sourcecode and graphical html-tags
  • find and replace text in all the views
  • create lists by simply marking the text and pressing a button
  • disable the use of CSS elements (essential!)
You can even copy and paste text from your browser.

kompoZer is fast, stable and easy to use - I hope it will help some of you the way it helps me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kompozer.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	17015  
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:11 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
my favourite tool for converting html books is a commandline program demoroniser.
http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/demoroniser/
it processes html sources and removes all the fancy characters that Microsoft tools insert into html code. Problem is all those fancy curly quotes, non-breaking spaces, optional hyppens, em-dashes, en-dashes, ... in some html files are non standard and display on my reader as very distracting two-exotic-character-combinations. Such files are practically unreadable.

I know that quite a lot of people here are very fond of their properly formated curly braces, em-dashes, em-dashes, and other typographical sugar, but when such things display on my reader as unreadable characters I resort to demoroniser or my own scripts written in vim.

By the way, I always use nvu generated html code as a textbook example how a really well written html code is supposed to look. I also use MSWord generated html code as an oposite example.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Amaya is also good.
And, being developed by W3C, I suppose it's strictly standard-compliant...
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
Amaya is good aswell but I found it to be a bit big and slow sometimes.
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote