Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #46
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Good thing I am happy with Kindles because my Hubby would go nuts if I ordered many more e-readers. Not over the money spent, we each have an allowance, but over the need for more e-readers. He thought I was nuts to want a PW2 when I have a K3, DXG, and K1. And an iPad...
Well what does he know Actually I kind of admire minimalistic people who can be happy with very little. (must finish Walden Pond some day). I have to force myself to survive with one cordless drill for example and I hardly ever drill anything.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #47
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Oh he is not a minimalist, he just isn't a reader. He has plenty of his stuff (like a race car seat for video games) that I just don't get. We have a rule, we cannot question what each of us buy with our allowance but we are free to mock.

And he knows that I bought the K3 mainly because I wanted a new Oberon cover and was looking for an excuse. The Oberon cover for the PW2 arrived 10 days after the PW2 arrived.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #48
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Well what does he know Actually I kind of admire minimalistic people who can be happy with very little.
I actually have a problem with having a lot of stuff that is the same, or almost the same, if it is intended for active use.

If I have two devices and they both have a very specific purpose, like a tablet for PDF's and an e-reader for novels, then there is no problem, and I can have both of them.

However, if there are two devices that are different, but greatly overlap (for example, a Kobo Aura and a KPW2), then I have a problem. I'd always be fidgeting about which one to use.

I understand that there are people who have no problem; they just go like: "I read my Amazon books on the Kindle, and the Kobo books on the Aura, so there's no problem." For me, there is, because Calibre greatly blurs and sometimes even erases the differences between the two readers.

I'd rather have two of the same readers, one being a backup for the other, switching between them every other week, or if they are different, two readers that are 2 or 3 generations apart, so there is no question about which one is the backup and which one is the one in active use.

Last edited by Katsunami; 11-13-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #49
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
I have been in control because I plan to get myself a new Mac Pro for X-mas/Birthday gift to myself and at 3k everything else can wait. My old Mac Pro is over 7 years and can not be upgraded to new OS anymore, time to go.
When you get one, I do not recommend upgrading to Mavericks. Wait until Apple rolls out updates to fix the issues. There have been a lot of complaints from users who have upgraded. I'm one of them. Ever since I've upgraded from Mountain Lion to Mavericks, I've been encountering a lot of bugs; my Pro freezes randomly, scrolling sometimes stops working in Google Chrome, apps quit unexpectedly. Really, I regret upgrading.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #50
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I actually have a problem with having a lot of stuff that is the same, or almost the same, if it is intended for active use.

If I have two devices and they both have a very specific purpose, like a tablet for PDF's and an e-reader for novels, then there is no problem, and I can have both of them.

However, if there are two devices that are different, but greatly overlap (for example, a Kobo Aura and a KPW2), then I have a problem. I'd always be fidgeting about which one to use.

I understand that there are people who have no problem; they just go like: "I read my Amazon books on the Kindle, and the Kobo books on the Aura, so there's no problem." For me, there is, because Calibre greatly blurs and sometimes even erases the differences between the two readers.

I'd rather have two of the same readers, one being a backup for the other, switching between them every other week, or if they are different, two readers that are 2 or 3 generations apart, so there is no question about which one is the backup and which one is the one in active use.
I don't fidget but I know what you mean. I sort of have a system. I use mini on the bus etc., because it is small. Occasionally, like currently, I use it at home because I am caught up in the book. Path of least resistance.

Generally I read at home on the T1, but if I am finding a book a bit difficult to get through and don't want to abandon it I will read something lighter on my Aura HD. I prefer the mini, but I also like to keep it in my jacket pocket so I don't leave home without it.

If I get a T3 I will give my mother one of my other readers.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #51
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
So I've just got the new kindle paperwhite. Haven't set it up yet. The best thing about it looking identical to the original paperwhite is that I'll not have to smuggle it into the house my partner will never know the difference! And I won't have to justify my addiction to him
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #52
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Until he finds that there are two. Cloning?
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #53
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Until he finds that there are two. Cloning?
He's very slow. I have 2 kobo mini's I told him about the first one but not the second. He didn't realise until about 4 months after I'd bought the second one. I told him it had been in the sale (which was true). He just rolled his eyes and didn't say anything else.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #54
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
So I've just got the new kindle paperwhite. Haven't set it up yet. The best thing about it looking identical to the original paperwhite is that I'll not have to smuggle it into the house my partner will never know the difference! And I won't have to justify my addiction to him
I'm planning to do exactly the same thing. And no, he won't know there are two. All traces will be hidden.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #55
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Until you leave one on the table accidentally, while reading on the other....
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #56
spersephone
Zealot
spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage
I thought I was the only one who did stuff like that!
spersephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #57
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Wow...my new second /second home...I thought it was bad when I had to join the Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread, but I see this is a place for me as well...I just finished telling the Ebook folks how we all preach better than we practice.

I'm a computer person, but I am also frugal, ack lets just say it - CHEAP lol. I love my tech but can have a hard time justifying the purchases to myself, especially if they are for me. When my daughters tablet broke we stalled on getting her a new one, not easy cause teenagers sure have the art of stalking down. Then she got the Galaxy Note II and I kept telling her she didn't need a new tablet cause she had that monster phone. But on the other hand, I went ahead and got myself a 7 inch tablet I had been wanting even though i have a perfectly good 10 inch and a brand new smartphone (GS4).

Sometimes I quell the guilt with what my family likes to call the "family upgrade program". When one of us gets something new, someone less tech advanced usually moves up. Like now that I have my GS4, my aunt is moving from the Samsung SCH-R350 to her very first Android. Granted is Android 2, but hey it's a start. And since I bought my Mom an S2, my brother gets her old android as a media player

Sometimes it makes me feel better, sometimes I still feel dirty

Now the thing I am waiting for is the Kobo Glo to hit a huge sale. I have a NST, but really want something with a light and love that the Glo has collections (that seem easier and more stable than what the NST's can handle).

what to do ---- what to do?

Last edited by gabby98; 11-19-2013 at 12:10 PM.
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #58
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
While I'd love the latest device I'm too frugal...er um meant cheap...
Same here.

Last edited by DreamWriter; 01-22-2014 at 06:53 PM.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #59
spersephone
Zealot
spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I love my Kobo Glo, but I admit I'd like a Kindle Paperwhite too.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #60
spersephone
Zealot

I should admit that I went and got one. Battery life isn't very good though. The reading experience is nicer, mainly due to the light which is much nicer than the Glo.