Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-06-2022, 03:32 PM   #1
stevejoung
stevejoung began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Showing a jpg /png on the Kindle

I have,managed to jailbreak my Kindle PW and can SSH into it and have also got Kterm working so I can investigate the OS.

My net step is to be able to use the Kindle as a display, but before I can start with that I need to know how to display pictures and text and maybe webpages on the Kindle screen. There is no "screen" command in my kindle OS.

Is there a tutorial or such showing how to do this from the terminal?

Last edited by stevejoung; 12-06-2022 at 03:53 PM.
stevejoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:39 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Oh, hai!
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2022, 06:15 AM   #3
stevejoung

Many Thanks!
Old 12-07-2022, 06:15 PM   #4
luketheduke
Connoisseur
luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.

Device: PW3, PW2, KT2, 2xKT, 2xK3G
For a built-in approach, I believe there's a command in /bin/ that will display images or HTML files. If you're interested I can find it for you.
luketheduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:59 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's `eips`, as mentioned in both FBInk threads .

The drawback being that it uses a very very very very old stb version, so you may encounter weird and random issues depending on how your images are encoded.
Advert
Old 12-08-2022, 01:30 PM   #6
stevejoung

@ luketheduke After reading the link that NiLuJe supplied I found this wiki for EIPS https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Eips which is probably what you are refering to.I have been using eips for the time being and it is working well for me.

I must say the people on this forum are specially helpful and knowledgable.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:49 PM   #7
luketheduke
Connoisseur
luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.

Device: PW3, PW2, KT2, 2xKT, 2xK3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
That's `eips`, as mentioned in both FBInk threads .

The drawback being that it uses a very very very very old stb version, so you may encounter weird and random issues depending on how your images are encoded.
Really? I remember it being something along the lines of WEBREADER.

Anyway, if you've found a solution that works for you, I'll leave it be.
luketheduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:51 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

webreader is the Kindle's KF8 renderer? ;o).
Old 01-06-2023, 10:14 AM   #9
mattcd216
Enthusiast
mattcd216 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 D01100
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejoung View Post
@ luketheduke After reading the link that NiLuJe supplied I found this wiki for EIPS https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Eips which is probably what you are refering to.I have been using eips for the time being and it is working well for me.

I must say the people on this forum are specially helpful and knowledgable.
Hi. Read the wiki link. How do you actually use eips? Is there a command line anywhere?
Thanks
mattcd216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 06:26 PM   #10
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Set up an ssh or install kterm extension.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 05:20 AM   #11
mattcd216
Enthusiast
mattcd216 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 D01100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Set up an ssh or install kterm extension.
Thanks
mattcd216 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jpg, screen