Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Z.Munroe
Z.Munroe began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Some covers won't send to itunes(?)

I have a bunch of books as pdf files (not optimal, I know). I have edited the metadata in calibre so that the covers (etc.) are all present. However, when I send to device (itunes), some covers, randomly, are missing; instead, I see typically the first page of the document. It doesn't do this for all pdfs, and I can't figure out why it won't just use the damn cover image from the metadata it receives (like it will for the rest).

Any ideas?
Z.Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
sdow1
Connoisseur
sdow1 began at the beginning.

Device: nook, ipad
This happens to me as well - it's most likely because the cover is not actually part of the pdf file - it just sits separately inside the ebook folder. Calibre is smart enough to pull the info, but iTunes is not. In fact, i've noticed that even when I try to "add artwork" to a pdf directly in iTunes, which is given as an option, it doesn't 'keep'.

If you add the cover and then convert in calibre (pdf-->pdf), the conversion should build the cover directly into the file that gets transferred.
sdow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
grumpman
King of the Nerd Herd
grumpman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & HP Touchpad
This problem also occurs when importing epub format into itunes. From what I've been able to uncover, it appears to be a bug with the software and multiple requests have been sent to Apple requesting a fix.
I tried importing approx. 1400 ebooks and the problem is random. I tried different cover sizes as well
grumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
kael425
kael425 began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
I had to go into itunes and change the 'album artwork' of each book file before it stayed put. Not very practical and very time-consuming :/
kael425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
How did you get the books into iTunes? If you use the Calibre "connect to iTunes" feature then the covers and metadata should have been carried over. If you copied the books at the OS level by-passing Calibre then this information is not transferred.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert