Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #61
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Things change fast these days:
http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/06/ama...-at-129-in-uk/

Blink and there'll be one just down the street.
UK still doesn't do me any good. It will be interesting to see if they roll out the fire anywhere else, or if they'll wait another year for the release of the next model to introduce a third country. I have a feeling they'll bypass Canada for some time. We don't have access to their apps, music, tv, movies, cloud storage. We don't even have a Kindle store, but at least they allow us to purchase Kindle ebooks from the U.S. store.

ETA: Oh wait, I see they're also rolling out in France.

Last edited by Suzanna; 09-06-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #62
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
Finally a high-rez screen on a reader with competent industrial design. Hope they release a non-glow version for somewhat less.

Also nice to see them going all the way and removing the redundant home button. I find Kobo's clean and simple design language very appealing and have never missed physical buttons.
It's like you are psychic. We did remove the home button on Kobo Glo and Kobo Mini.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #63
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post

ETA: Oh wait, I see they're also rolling out in France.
I expect they'll ship the FireHD everywhere in europe that Lovefilm is avaiable.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:03 AM   #64
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Are there no hands in impressions with thr glo? The impressions of the new kindles screen and glow tech have been glowing; I wonder if kobo can match.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:55 AM   #65
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Do all of the Kobo devices have the type of quilted style backing?
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #66
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
Do all of the Kobo devices have the type of quilted style backing?
Nope, not the new models.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:02 AM   #67
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Nice, I just love to see new eReaders and more competition and move move of the industry in the ebook direction! Yippie!!!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #68
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Nope, not the new models.
It's still a signature Kobo quilt pattern, but we have taken a slightly different approach to it with the new Kobo family of devices.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #69
berklon
berklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The new Kobo's look good, but I hope they fix the formatting issues with books.

The indented margins with only a couple words per line, and the page ending half-way mid-sentence and continued on the next page - I find both of those irritating.
berklon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #70
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
If I was looking to upgrade today, I would definitely be looking at these over the Amazon offerings. Just not a fan of the Amazon cloud ecosystem.

Sticking point for me (and I admit to not looking at the specs yet) is does Kobo handle B&N's DRM'd epubs? I have many files for my NOOK at the moment that I don't want to lose. Or would I have to use Calibre and the various plug-ins to get those files to work? Totally doable, but I like the least hassles possible.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #71
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
BnN supports Adobe's DRM scheme which is also compatible with the Kobos, and basically everything else that isn't a Kindle.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #72
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
If I was looking to upgrade today, I would definitely be looking at these over the Amazon offerings. Just not a fan of the Amazon cloud ecosystem.

Sticking point for me (and I admit to not looking at the specs yet) is does Kobo handle B&N's DRM'd epubs? I have many files for my NOOK at the moment that I don't want to lose. Or would I have to use Calibre and the various plug-ins to get those files to work? Totally doable, but I like the least hassles possible.
Although Kobo could have added compatibility on the new units, I haven't heard. I wonder if the Kobo rep who posts here could answer that question?
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #73
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
BnN supports Adobe's DRM scheme which is also compatible with the Kobos, and basically everything else that isn't a Kindle.
Kobo has never supported B&N's version of Adobe DRM in the past so until we hear official word I'm going to assume they still don't. Besides Kindle they also obviously don't support iTunes/iBooks DRM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #74
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Kobo has never supported B&N's version of Adobe DRM in the past so until we hear official word I'm going to assume they still don't. Besides Kindle they also obviously don't support iTunes/iBooks DRM.
Adding compatibility would be adding a competitor for ebooks. They probably won't but if not, there's always Alf.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #75
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
It's still a signature Kobo quilt pattern, but we have taken a slightly different approach to it with the new Kobo family of devices.
Is it etched in the plastic? Is it removable? I'm sorry to be stuck on this point, but aesthetics are important to me. I know it could be hidden by a case, but the fact I know it's there would be hard to overcome.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote