Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-10-2023, 03:16 PM   #1
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
How to disable Factory Reset through PIN code (111222777)

Hey guys,

Does anyone know how to disable Factory Reset through PIN code, when the combination 111222777 is entered?

This is usually needed when passcode is forgotten. However, I would like to prevent this factory reset from happening because this is a piece of information that can be easily found.

Thanks!
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 09:20 PM   #2
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I didn’t test it yet, but I hope this would work.

I noticed since Kindle Touch times (FW 5.3.7) that restricting features via parent control also grays out Factory Reset option in Settings menu.

This is still true on 5.16.X, it was enough to restrict access to Goodreads.

I hope that this also prevents the pin-code factory reset, but didn’t test yet (need to back up the whole storage somewhere first…)
Advert
Old 12-11-2023, 01:40 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'd wager this just grays out the menu entries, as a factory reset, while probably done for privacy reasons in that case, also happens, to, as a byproduct, remove the pin lock .

(i.e., I doubt there's a specific "let me just kill the pincode" codepath for that convoluted setup).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 01:46 PM   #4
mergen3107
Wizard

Well, seems like it is time for KOReader to shine with exit custom multiswipe gesture xD how the turn-tables
Old 12-11-2023, 01:47 PM   #5
mergen3107
Wizard

Plus properly auth always on SSH over cable and Wi-Fi, so no chance for strangers to delete storage files as well (nope, I don’t have paranoia, I think, I hope )
Advert
Old 12-11-2023, 02:10 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You have a backup?
You could lose or break the Kindle.
Who cares about someone erasing contents of a Kindle, or any reader? Calibre and backups of Calibre.

Does Parental Control still stupidly hide all the Sideloaded ebooks? One of the best reasons for an ereader is 70,000+ PD texts, inc many classic kids stories. Real versions of old tales instead of stupid Disney Supermarket versions (perversions).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 02:56 PM   #7
mergen3107
Wizard

Yeah, I need to make a large backup some time soon.
Old 12-11-2023, 03:31 PM   #8
mergen3107
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I'd wager this just grays out the menu entries, as a factory reset, while probably done for privacy reasons in that case, also happens, to, as a byproduct, remove the pin lock .

(i.e., I doubt there's a specific "let me just kill the pincode" codepath for that convoluted setup).
Yes, I found out that this code works even when trying to "remember" parental passcode, so it is uselless beyong GUI "restrictions.

Ultimately, I can just nuke the "factory_reset" binary (by replacing it with a /dev/null link), but it sits in /bin/ , and I am hesitant to touch it (in contrast to logging things, that sit in /usr/bin/ and /usr/sbin).

Last edited by mergen3107; 12-11-2023 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-11-2023, 05:23 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Ultimately, I can just nuke the "factory_reset" binary (by repalcing it with a /dev/null link), but it sits in /bin/ , and I am hesitant to touch it (in contrast to logging things, that sit it /usr/bin/ and /usr/sbin).
That would be crazy.
Old 12-11-2023, 05:35 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Ultimately, I can just nuke the "factory_reset" binary (by replacing it with a /dev/null link), but it sits in /bin/ , and I am hesitant to touch it (in contrast to logging things, that sit in /usr/bin/ and /usr/sbin).
Welcome to the future: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Sof...orTheUsrMerge/

Fun Linux bikeshedding aside, I agree with @Quoth, don't? ;p

You can probably achieve a saner recovery path in case of brainfart by forcing a reboot and killing the passcode over SSH or something (which is trivial, as you're probably aware, c.f., KOReader's startup script), as I would hope the pin lock doesn't inhibit hard reboots?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 06:15 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
That was maybe written in 2021, and now relatively conservative Linux Mint has implemented it. Nothing broke. I've one laptop that's been gradually updated from 17.x (3?) to current 21.2, in place, rather than a fresh install, which was always best with NT and win3.x/Win9x.

The separate drive thing has come back. OS on SSD and /var and /home are mount points for two HDD partitions on a large SATA disc. A 4T on desktop (512G SSD) and a 2T on laptop (256G SSD). Booted a USB stick to copy /var and /home files and edit mounts.

Last edited by Quoth; 12-11-2023 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-11-2023, 06:33 PM   #12
mergen3107
Wizard

Thanks NiLuJe! An interesting read
No, I am not afraid of forgetting passcode. I am worried that someone is capable entering the code and factory resetting the whole thing Wanted to prevent this.
Hard reboots are hard, they don’t care about passcode.