Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-07-2010, 08:39 AM   #1
Mister_R
Mister_R began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Pocketbook features

I want to buy an eBook reader and I am considering pocketbook 902.
I would like to know from those who have already a pocketbook who is it. Especially:
Note taking, besides PDF files: how does it do? Can I export all highlighted text? Does it have a good performance?
Dictionaries: can I use a different dictionary? Can I use more than one dictionary at once? Can I replace a dictionary with another one?
Screen: does the new 902 come already with the new Perl screen? Does it make a difference?

One more question. How does it handle .doc books? Because I can use .doc instead of PDF.

Last edited by Mister_R; 11-07-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Mister_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_R View Post
I want to buy an eBook reader and I am considering pocketbook 902.
I would like to know from those who have already a pocketbook who is it. Especially:
Note taking, besides PDF files: how does it do? Can I export all highlighted text? Does it have a good performance?
Dictionaries: can I use a different dictionary? Can I use more than one dictionary at once? Can I replace a dictionary with another one?
Screen: does the new 902 come already with the new Perl screen? Does it make a difference?
You do realise that the 901/902/903 are not for sale yet?
So no one of us, the great unwashed horde, has got our grubby paws on one ;-) There are some youtube films out there, demo's on fairs and such, the annotation as been demonstrated is very slow (the line forms more then a second after drawing it) but the demonstrator assures the interviewer it would be a lot faster when the final version arrives. Highlighted text can be exported as a txt file (copy/paste?) or as a picture. No clue as to the performance, and using a different dictionary is a given.
The screen seems to be a tightly held secret, even the stores that take pre-order do not show the kind of screen it uses, resolutions etc, yes, but not if it is Viziplex 1st or 2e generation or something else.
The overall text quality as seen on the youtube films looks to be all right but if it is as crisp as the 'Pearl' (2e gen Viziplex) screen.. Have to see the 902/3 next to a Sony Prs 650 to compare, have not found it yet ;-)

Last edited by Roos; 11-07-2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Spelling ;-)
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Quote:
I want to buy an eBook reader and I am Screen: does the new 902 come already with the new Perl screen?
NO

Quote:
Does it make a difference?
A lot
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
Mister_R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos View Post
You do realise that the 901/902/903 are not for sale yet?
Thank you for your comments.
I thought 902 was already on sale.
Anyway my intention was to ask for opinions based on existing models.
How are other pocketbook models doing?
Old 11-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
Mister_R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
NO

A lot
So. you mean Kindle DX is better
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
Passepartout
Addict
Passepartout has learned how to read e-booksPassepartout has learned how to read e-booksPassepartout has learned how to read e-booksPassepartout has learned how to read e-booksPassepartout has learned how to read e-booksPassepartout has learned how to read e-booksPassepartout has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX graphite
Quote:
The display only is better, pearl vs. latest before pearl, functions are the other side.
(and don't forget, there is a difference between Kindle DX and Kindle DX graphite)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEllSyyN0Yw
Forkosigan have post here a collection of all that is available:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...04&postcount=1

Have a look here too:http://picasaweb.google.com/tshalf/30102010#

The 902 have just the same functions as 602 - here have a look in the english manual https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=10

I would wait, it is only some days. On the 15.11.10 (here in Germany) pocketbook will give the resellers our preorders and some days later we will have the first impressions, videos etc. here on the forum.

After the release I would compare the devices again and then buy your favorite.

Last edited by Passepartout; 11-07-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Passepartout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Define better.

Better at what?
Better how?
Better for what?

If there was one *single* reader that was clearly "better" for everything and everybody we wouldn't have such a broad variety of readers to choose from, would we?

Different people have different ideas of what "better" means, which is why we have such a nicely competitive marketplace.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #8
CalvinL
Enthusiast
CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
The display on DX should be better.
In terms of supporting format and price, I will buy a 902.(and I really hate the keyboard on DX)
Need more review to confirm my decision.
CalvinL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:57 AM   #9
Mister_R

I was not aware of differences between Kindle DX and Graphite.
I has think of buying PB902 in first place.
But then, I want a reading device, and the single most important feature of a reading device is display quality.
In every other aspect (with exception for PDF highlight, I think) PB 902 seems better than Kindle. But every other features together are not as important as display, in a reading device.
Anyway I will wait until the 902 release.