Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 04:40 AM   #151
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyrnon View Post
I'd be curious as to the mindset that makes things like this make sense to people who utter them. Surely they can't think that paper has some sort of magical property that makes the words have more impact. Or maybe it's that electronic formats seem more nebulous and insubstantial to them that they can't imagine it being identical to reading the same words in a hefty chunk of decaying dead tree?
At the moment, paper can store more sorts of content reliably

However the statement is quite intolerant in my opinion, there is something you may like to consider. I give you my arm that books that are enjoyed in an eReader most will be different from paper books. Paper and eReader read differently. eReader books are much more prone to a more analytical reading, starting from the fact that a table of contents is highly valued in an ebook and people get angry when there is none. How many of you didn't even give a look to the pbook's index?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:07 AM   #152
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I give you my arm that books that are enjoyed in an eReader most will be different from paper books. Paper and eReader read differently. eReader books are much more prone to a more analytical reading, starting from the fact that a table of contents is highly valued in an ebook and people get angry when there is none. How many of you didn't even give a look to the pbook's index?
I suppose it should be true that the medium has some kind of influence on how or what you read. I have a lot of difficulties concentrating on something I read on a computer screen, and I think I'm not alone in that, and probably it explains many misconceptions about e-books. But I haven't noticed any difference in the way I read e-books, personally. I tend to read in a linear fashion, even non-fiction, so a table of content is usually wasted on me, lol. But I have to admit I don't read a lot of non-fiction in e-book form, simply because I often can't find the books I want.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #153
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I loved my e-reader and still do. But I hardly ever use it anymore. I just recently finished my bachelors in history so I had a lot of actual book reading to do and leisure reading went out the window. It sort of got me out of the habit of reading e-books and I recently found a string of excellent hardcover history books at Barnes and Noble's bargain section, so I really haven't been able to go back to e-book reading.

And now with all these price changes, I simply can't justify paying that kind of money when I can find the regular book for cheap. I don't read romance or sci-fi, and those are the books most frequently discounted online.

So basically I just use my e-reader for historical books and public domain. Which, don't get me wrong, I've gotten the value of my e-reader back many times through public domain, but it'd be nice to feel comfortable spending so much money on a non-physical thing such as an e-book. The publishers really shot themselves in the foot with this.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote