Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 05-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
matcat123
matcat123 began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Smile from Dublins fair city

Hi
I got a present of a Sony Reader. Such a thoughtful present as I'm a total bookworm. I'm a bit worried about losing the whole physicality of handling a book and turning the pages..... but also very excited as I've just downloaded some books to my reader.
matcat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
welcome to the forum matcat ! ah, dublin, i'd love to visit there someday. i've got a very romanticised image of it of course, from joyce's dubliners and the pogues...

that is a lovely present indeed. i know a lot of people are worried they'll miss the tactile aspect of reading when they start using a reader, but let me tell you a little secret : since i got mine, i love it so much, i can barely stand to take a paper book anymore ! the ergonomics are terrible ! like when you're reading in bed, on your side : oh, my poor wrist, propping up all those pages ! and the top of the book is always blocking the light from the page i'm trying to read ! and when i'm reading a nice thick omnibus edition... oh my ! it's so HEAVY ! just try reading that with one hand... and i LOVE having hundreds of books in my bad wherever i go, without having to carry more than a few grammes.

i'm sure you'll love your sony, if you love reading. and just to give you more reason to love it, don't miss our free ebooks section (click the ebooks link in the blue navigation bar at the top of the page) for thousands of books formatted by our members ! for sony, choose the epub or lrf format. another great site is feedbooks for even more free public domain and creative commons books.

soon you'll have more than you can count, and then calibre (see the calibre forum) will be indispensable for managing your library, doing conversions, and aggregating rss feeds.

don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions, and happy reading !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Welcome to mobileread, matcat123! Pull up a virtual barstool and order up a pint (or pitcher) of your favorite libation!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
Welcome matcat123! My husband is from just up the motorway in Bangor, NI - in fact we just moved back to the US from there. Gawd I miss the Temple Bar pubs for fun & great music!!

BTW, I'm still making up my mind between the Sonys & Kindle...let us know what you think of yours - did you get a 505 or 700??
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi matcat123 and welcome to MobileRead. That's sound advice there from Zelda. I've gotten so I prefer my eBook reader to a print book
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
matcat123
matcat123 began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Hi Thanks for you replies. One of my problems (if it is in fact a problem!) is that I could only ever read new pristine clean books. The thought of rotten dirty library books with all sorts of diseases and dead insects lurking within their pages would send me into a spin.... I would need to wear a CSI forensic suit before I could even approach a library book... My lovely Sony reader is so so clean!!!
matcat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat123 View Post
Hi Thanks for you replies. One of my problems (if it is in fact a problem!) is that I could only ever read new pristine clean books. The thought of rotten dirty library books with all sorts of diseases and dead insects lurking within their pages would send me into a spin.... I would need to wear a CSI forensic suit before I could even approach a library book... My lovely Sony reader is so so clean!!!
Ah, hello my fellow OCDer!!! I completely get what you're saying. My husband thinks it's a bit strange to move every book on the shelf over to find a clean, untouched one to buy...finger prints on my book (or anything else) would NEVER do! This is just motivating me more to sell the jetBook and get myself a Sony...or Kindle.
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:33 AM   #8
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat123 View Post
Hi
I got a present of a Sony Reader. Such a thoughtful present as I'm a total bookworm. I'm a bit worried about losing the whole physicality of handling a book and turning the pages..... but also very excited as I've just downloaded some books to my reader.
I felt the SAME WAY!! I was not sure about that gift I received, but it didn't take long to convince me! I sometimes check out library books (pbooks) (and I'm not grossed out by the books, unless they have funny brown stains. that bugs me and I pray to the powers that be that the brown is from some chocolate loving reader...), and it's a fun change once in a while, like looking at antiques

I hope you love your new reader! Welcome to the forum!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote