Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-01-2009, 03:30 AM   #1
billper
billper began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
'operation failed due to an error' ebook library doesn't read prs505 contents

hi guys

when i connect the prs-505 to my laptop i receive the error screen entitled 'error' with the body text 'operation failed due to error' in ebook library. in the left hand menu pane the icon of the prs-505 is displayed with the word 'error' next to it. the ebook library no longer reads the prs-505 contents but adobe de can.

if i uninstall reboot and then reinstall the sony library software and connect the prs-505 the library shows 'scanning' for a few seconds then fails with the above error.

after the error, ebook library does not display the contents of the prs-505.

it is not clear why this error started to happen - in my first few weeks of owning the prs-505 the sony ebook library worked fine.

my prs-505 itself is working ok otherwise. i have bought and successfully transferred several ebooks from reputable stores using adobe de. adobe de can see and manage the contents of the prs-505 successfully.

any help gratefully received
billper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:35 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you tried a different cable and/or different USB port?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:18 AM   #3
billper

thanks for the suggestion - yes i have tried a different cable and ports but the problem remains the same

cheers

w
Old 03-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
What shows up on the 505 screen?

Do you have an SD cards in the device?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
billper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
What shows up on the 505 screen?

Do you have an SD cards in the device?
no SD nor memorysticks in the device

the 505 screen is the normal screen you get when it is plugged into the usb and there is an attempt at a read - no sign of anything wrong there

thanks for your interest
Old 03-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
billper

Sony support

the ever helpful sony support suggested that i reset the device. like i hadn't thought of that.

but i reset it again and that made no difference. the prs505 is also having other problems - it won't sleep properly (ie when i use the power switch slider to turn it 'off' nothing happens) and the battery runs down very fast (overnight). i have bought a charger which works well. the reader also doesn't store bookmarks or 'resume reading' information

i suspect it needs a hard reset, but i am reluctant to do that as i am on holiday with all my reading on the prs505 and don't want to risk losing the contents and not being able to restore the books i have bought.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:59 AM   #7
wild_Willie2
Zealot
wild_Willie2 began at the beginning.

Backing up and resetting your books is easy, just copy them to your computer, reset your reader and copy your books back to your reader.

If all else failes, just reformat the readers "HD" via windows and flash the internal memory using the universall flasher...

good luck.
wild_Willie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:50 AM   #8
dchymes
dchymes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I seem to be having the same problem. Any straight forward solutions?
dchymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:52 PM   #9
dchymes
dchymes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I solved my problem. Maybe this will help others.

First, what I did not cause the problem was that I had moved the folder that contained pdf-ed books so that the ebook Library was troubled. I noticed this and deleted the settings of the books in the Library and then re-loaded them without syncing. Then when I synced with my Sony, problems immediately developed.

Second, the symptoms were: 1) power switch would not work; 2) got the "error" message when trying to sync; 3) the book folder on my Sony could not be deleted manually since it was corrupted.

Third, my solution was ultimately to "Format Internal Memory" and start over. I had uninstalled/reinstalled the ebook Library, but it is not working as well as calibre. So I re-loaded my books via calibre and am once again everything is back to normal.

David
dchymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:06 PM   #10
Dan125
Dan125 began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader
Try this...it worked for me

I got the same message, its seems some how the books folder had become corrupt..I fixed it by right clicking on the "removable disk", mine was drive E..(this is actual drive for the e-reader) under my computer, select properties and the ToolS tab, then run the error checking program. Make sure boot check boxes are ticked "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"...after this completed the e-book library program worked!
Dan125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
error library prs-505