Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-05-2016, 02:48 AM   #1
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark
mrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to behold

Device: Asus Transformer Prime, Sony PRS-T1, HTC Sensation
Windows 10 Blue Screen Crash

I have Calibre 2.71 install in windows 10 build 14931.

when I open Calibre. it works fine.
when I plug in , Kobo Aura One, I can mount and update it's storage.

But, If I start Calibre with the Kobo mounted, windows blue screens with a FAT_FILE_SYSTEM error.
if I plug the Kobo in with Calibre running it also blue screens.

Has anybody else seen this. it seems similar to the "Windows Anniversary Update blue screens when an ereader is plugged in" issue
mrspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:38 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Which version Windows 10 are you running?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:12 AM   #3
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark
mrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to behold

Device: Asus Transformer Prime, Sony PRS-T1, HTC Sensation
version 1607
build 14931.1002 (64 bit)

Last edited by mrspaceman; 11-05-2016 at 11:13 AM. Reason: 1607
mrspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 01:32 PM   #4
gabaldini
Enthusiast
gabaldini has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle paperwhite
Try formatting your kobo device,or a factory resetting
gabaldini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:05 PM   #5
kiwik
Enthusiast
kiwik began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One (ex Kindle, Sony 505)
The Kobo will not work with a USB 3.0 port and Calibre.

If your laptop does not have USB 2.0 ports (like mine), simply purchase a USB 2.0 hub and use that.

For more info, see this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=282881
kiwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:30 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwik View Post
The Kobo will not work with a USB 3.0 port and Calibre.
Whilst this may be your personal experience, it's certainly not universal. All my Kobos are working with calibre and USB 3 ports on my ASUS Windows 10 laptop.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:46 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I wonder if there might be difference in USB drivers; Microsoft supplied in one case vendor in others for instance?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:36 AM   #8
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I wonder if there might be difference in USB drivers; Microsoft supplied in one case vendor in others for instance?
I do not know about the drivers but using the proper usb3 cables is a must.

See my post here

benie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:10 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
I do not know about the drivers but using the proper usb3 cables is a must.

See my post here

benie
That's USB C cables that need to be properly made. I've never had a cable problem with USB 1, USB 2, and USB 3. The cable that comes with a Kobo Reader works.

Cable issues with USB C is why when someone says we should have a USB C port on Kobo, I say no way.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:03 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
But why is 'that' an issue only for calibre?

kiwik for example, is able to access his Kobo e-reader via the USB 3.0 ports on his Dell with the Kobo desktop application and File Explorer, but not via calibre.

Maybe he should try using the drivers from Dell, his Windows install was from MS media, so presumably he has MS source drivers.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:19 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
All I can think is that calibre stresses the device. Would be interesting to stress the Kobo at the o/s level without calibre and see what happens.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:45 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
All I can think is that calibre stresses the device. Would be interesting to stress the Kobo at the o/s level without calibre and see what happens.
Can the Kobo be used with calibre natively, i.e. without the extended driver, utilities, input/output etc plugins, or are one or more of them mandatory?

If it can, are we certain that the problem is not being caused by one or more of them rather than the calibre base.

BTW : I kicked myself when you suggested kiwik try a USB 2 hub. I should have thought of that, I acquired a Dlink 7 port hub recently, it's attached to a spare USB 3 port (Hitachi controller).

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-06-2017 at 01:51 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:42 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Can the Kobo be used with calibre natively, i.e. without the extended driver, utilities, input/output etc plugins, or are one or more of them mandatory?

If it can, are we certain that the problem is not being caused by one or more of them rather than the calibre base.

BTW : I kicked myself when you suggested kiwik try a USB 2 hub. I should have thought of that, I acquired a Dlink 7 port hub recently, it's attached to a spare USB 3 port (Hitachi controller).
I can think of two ways this is happening. Calibre is discovering the device in such a way that it triggers a bug in a driver. The alternative is the way the driver reads the database on the device is putting stress on the driver or connection somehow. But, I can't really see it being either. The former I think would hit other devices as well, the latter should cause a problem when using the Kobo desktop application. And it doesn't seem to be any of the other plugins. At least one tester has removed them, and the crash happens to early for them to be involved.

The people who have reported this say they can access the device using explorer. And copy books to it. And they say the Kobo desktop application is OK.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:14 AM   #14
kiwik
Enthusiast
kiwik began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One (ex Kindle, Sony 505)
It failed (on Dell laptop with Intel chipset) with both the Windows certified drivers that were auto downloaded, and also with the Intel drivers that I manually installed. I can try the ones from the Dell site.

I set my USB ports to be 2.0 in the BIOS and that worked perfectly on the same install.

I work in IT with these same laptops every day (500 users), and the only time I have ever seen this fastfat.sys crash is with Calibre + Kobo. I mention this because we have a ton of USB devices, it seems that this is the only combo to make this problem appear. I just can't imagine what is causing it. Kovid confirms that Calibre doesn't use any low level calls, just normal filesystem operations.

But yes to confirm, absolutely no issues using the Kobo with Windows explorer and USB 3.0.

Last edited by kiwik; 02-10-2017 at 02:29 AM.
kiwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:52 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwik View Post
It failed (on Dell laptop with Intel chipset) with both the Windows certified drivers that were auto downloaded, and also with the Intel drivers that I manually installed. I can try the ones from the Dell site.

I set my USB ports to be 2.0 in the BIOS and that worked perfectly on the same install.

I work in IT with these same laptops every day (500 users), and the only time I have ever seen this fastfat.sys crash is with Calibre + Kobo. I just can't imagine what is causing it. Kovid confirms that Calibre doesn't use any low level calls, just normal filesystem operations.

But yes to confirm, absolutely no issues using the Kobo with Windows explorer and USB 3.0.
I can't remember if you said before, but how quick is the crash? Is it as soon as calibre detects the device or does it happen as one or more of the device jobs are run? Is the behaviour different if the device is connected when calibre is started vs connecting when calibre is already running?

And which device and firmware? It's not in your profile and I didn't see it in your first couple of posts in the other thread (and yes, I'm sure it will jump out at me as soon as I press the post button.)
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote