Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Question about the PW magnet cover

I've always liked my devices naked, but I'm sorely tempted by the magnet cover. The problem is, I don't want to hold it open like I would a book. I like to read with one hand. I've heard that you can fold the cover back, but I've also heard that folding the cover back causes the magnet to turn the PW on and off (or sleep, wake, sleep wake, etc.) while you're trying to read. Do any of you who own this cover have that problem? Thanks!
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Are you talking the official Amazon PW cover? If you are, you can fold the cover back with no problems. I really love the cover, it's perfect! I always read with mine folded back.

The only magnetic cover I have heard of that has that problem (where it turns off if you fold it back) is the poetic cover. This cover has that problem:

http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-SLIMLIN...tic+paperwhite

The official Amazon cover does not have that problem at all. You can also fix the problem on the Poetic cover by adding tinfoil inside opposite to where the magnet is, should you really want that cover.

Last edited by sparklemotion; 02-10-2013 at 12:10 PM.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Are you talking the official Amazon PW cover? If you are, you can fold the cover back with no problems. I really love the cover, it's perfect! I always read with mine folded back.

The only magnetic cover I have heard of that has that problem (where it turns off if you fold it back) is the poetic cover. This cover has that problem:

http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-SLIMLIN...tic+paperwhite

The official Amazon cover does not have that problem at all. You can also fix the problem on the Poetic cover by adding tinfoil inside opposite to where the magnet is, should you really want that cover.
Thank you!! Yes, I'm talking about the official Amazon cover. I'm so happy to know it doesn't have that problem. I'll probably take the plunge and order one today.

Oh, I almost forgot: Does the ribbon of color that shows when you open the case seem to distract you from reading? I'd like a brighter color, but I'm wondering about that.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
Thank you!! Yes, I'm talking about the official Amazon cover. I'm so happy to know it doesn't have that problem. I'll probably take the plunge and order one today.

Oh, I almost forgot: Does the ribbon of color that shows when you open the case seem to distract you from reading? I'd like a brighter color, but I'm wondering about that.
No worries with the official PW cover, it's perfect! You'll love it. The color around it doesn't bother me in the least. I have the pink cover. Here's a couple of pics.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
JLeighs
Addict

Very nice! Thanks for the pics; I'm going to order one right now.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I like the Amazon cover. I just wish I'd gotten Saddle Tan instead of purple. I currently have it in a nice light brown cover that came from Asia (via ebay). I switch them out when the mood strikes.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Very nice! Thanks for the pics; I'm going to order one right now.
Yay, let us know what you think when it arrives.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
No worries with the official PW cover, it's perfect! You'll love it. The color around it doesn't bother me in the least. I have the pink cover. Here's a couple of pics.

I have the pink cover too. I absolutely love it.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
JLeighs
Addict

I placed the order! I had made the decision to order the black or the purple to be on the safe side. I ended up ordering the Persimmon. I was very drawn to the color. I can't wait for it to arrive.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
I placed the order! I had made the decision to order the black or the purple to be on the safe side. I ended up ordering the Persimmon. I was very drawn to the color. I can't wait for it to arrive.
You'll love it. I love how when I open it it's at the last page I was on, just like opening a book.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Love the cover and how it works as well. I originally ordered the persimmon, but the border around the Kindle was even a bit brighter than the leather itself and I found that distracting, plus I did not care much for the color, so I exchanged it for a purple one.
I also have a no-name Ebay cover from a seller called googleproduct, that is smaller, lighter weight and bright red.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I like the Amazon cover. I just wish I'd gotten Saddle Tan instead of purple. I currently have it in a nice light brown cover that came from Asia (via ebay). I switch them out when the mood strikes.
How do you get the Kindle out of the amazon cover? I tried to remove mine but it wont budge.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #13
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
How do you get the Kindle out of the amazon cover? I tried to remove mine but it wont budge.
The one-page 'manual' that comes with the cover shows you how. Bend the cover back on one corner, then extend the bend up until it gets to the other corner. It's tough, but doable. (I think this is worthwhile, since it makes it very unlikely the thing will fall out.)

You need to exert considerable force to do it. I was initially worried that it would damage, not the cover, but the PW (since you need to brace yourself against the PW itself), but the thing is really quite tough (much tougher than, say, the Kindle 4), and doesn't care about a little force.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
The one-page 'manual' that comes with the cover shows you how. Bend the cover back on one corner, then extend the bend up until it gets to the other corner. It's tough, but doable. (I think this is worthwhile, since it makes it very unlikely the thing will fall out.)

You need to exert considerable force to do it. I was initially worried that it would damage, not the cover, but the PW (since you need to brace yourself against the PW itself), but the thing is really quite tough (much tougher than, say, the Kindle 4), and doesn't care about a little force.
The manual is a pic and is confusing. I guess I need a video or something because I just don't understand what you mean.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #15
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

I have removed mine countless times without issue, mainly due to all my PW exchanges. It is a very tight fit, but totally doable as Nullnix said. I start with one corner and just bend it down and away from the PW. It becomes easier the more you do it.