Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #121
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by abderrahman View Post
I did... but the update keeps U600'ing on me!

I removed my custom folder, and restored the original as it is
Then some other modified file or folder must also be restored to the original version. It might be easier to "debrick" it back to a "factory fresh" image (even an older version), then apply updates.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #122
abderrahman
abderrahman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Then some other modified file or folder must also be restored to the original version. It might be easier to "debrick" it back to a "factory fresh" image (even an older version), then apply updates.
I did debrick it, I flashed the older kernel (because 4.0.1 was faulty) for both diags & main (of course along with mmcblk0)
abderrahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #123
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did debrick it, I flashed the older kernel (because 4.0.1 was faulty) for both diags & main (of course along with mmcblk0)
It makes no sense to flash both kernels. Diags has nothing to do with main. You did not say that you flashed matching partitions.

And why did you think (in a previous post) that flashing an older kernel would fix your "won't update" problem?

Just flash 4.0.0 main and 4.0.0 kernel. Then do updates.

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-13-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #124
abderrahman

maybe I wasn't clear...

My Kindle was perfectly functional, I just wanted to update. It was 4.0.1
But the 4.0.1 in the links was corrupt, so I flashed 4.0

I used matching partitions (my diags is 4.0.1, main is 4.0)
Now my Kindle is working & functional... it's just the matter of update. So all I did was for nothing (removing screensavers, debricking)

I should say that debricking didn't remove the screensaver hack... so maybe there is something wrong that I did?

I tried dd in fastboot, I tried SSH... nothing is working!
Old 11-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #125
abderrahman

I've just reflashed the main kernel (fastboot) and main partition (SSH) for good measure

[fastboot flash kernel kernel.img
dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.bin of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K]

still U006
Advert
Old 11-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #126
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@abderrahman: AFAIR, one of the 4.0 image available still has a crappy screensavers hack installed.

Either revert it manually, or use this.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #127
abderrahman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@abderrahman: AFAIR, one of the 4.0 image available still has a crappy screensavers hack installed.

Thank you

a quick "ls /mnt/us/opt/amazon" reveals that indeed the image there is SS hacked

And now the system is un-hacked... but still refuses to update

Why?!

Old 11-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #128
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post

I forgot about that. Somebody should post a version with that "crappy screensavers hack" removed, then send me the URL so I can put it into the pastebin...

@abderrahman: I only suggested that you "debrick" it to revert the firmware version, not because it may have been bricked... I see now that 4.0.0 needs the 800x800 folder removed, and 800x600_ renamed to 800x600 before updating to newer firmware...

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-13-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #129
abderrahman

Ya, I know man

could someone dump the 4.1 (hacked or not)... OR 4.0.x vanilla untouched so I could just flash it?

4.1 does the trick (already updated), vanilla 4.0.x allows me to update
Old 11-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #130
Mike76
Connoisseur
Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013, Kobo Mini, iPad Mini
Are there any risk of sharing Kindle images? I've dumped 4.1.0 images from my old 2011 Kindle. I'm going to sell this reader but I don't want to cause any problem (blacklisted Kindle, etc.) to the new owner.
Mike76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #131
abderrahman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike76 View Post
Are there any risk of sharing Kindle images? I've dumped 4.1.0 images from my old 2011 Kindle. I'm going to sell this reader but I don't want to cause any problem (blacklisted Kindle, etc.) to the new owner.
No, I don't think so
Because all devices share mmcblk0p0/1/2, but your data is stored on p3
So there's noway Amazon would know which device gave that dump

However, I will wait for someone who's a Kindle dev to answer that question with a definite answer
But in Android or Linux it works that way

How did you dump them? dd thru ssh?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #132
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
There is no partition 0 (mmcblk0p0) .
There is data stored outside of the partition table, in the frontmost part of mmcblk0.
That part of the storage contains, among other things, the machine specific data.
Share that between two (or more) Kindles will get them both (all) blacklisted.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #133
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There is no partition 0 (mmcblk0p0) .
There is data stored outside of the partition table, in the frontmost part of mmcblk0.
That part of the storage contains, among other things, the machine specific data.
Share that between two (or more) Kindles will get them both (all) blacklisted.
But on a K4 or newer model, any dump made with "dd" will show zeroes on the idme vars (serial number and such), so even that should be safe. You can only read those vars via kernel /proc files, which is what "idme" uses for reading. Interestingly, you can WRITE to that storage location yourself, so it is easy enough to write the values that you cannot read.

It is the K3 and earlier that expose the idme vars for reading by use apps.

It would be good to replace the root password hash in /etc/shadow with the known mario DES hash (copied from a known mario shadow file). Otherwise the root password will not be computable for any serial number but yours...
Old 11-14-2012, 02:44 AM   #134
abderrahman

so if Mike posts his images here, do I need to make changes (or him to remove things)?

or can he just upload them and I'd flash them directly?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #135
geekmaster

Quote:
so if Mike posts his images here, do I need to make changes (or him to remove things)?

or can he just upload them and I'd flash them directly?
For a K4, his images will be safe, but unless he changes his root password to mario, you will need to know his root password. You can only compute it from HIS serial number, not yours -- which is why we replace it with the mario DES hash before uploading. Also, it may be a good idea to delete /etc/guid from the image...

Tags
debricking