Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #16
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

If you use Firefox, IE you won't have that trouble
Firefox is my main PC browser...can it run on my new Kindle Fire?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Firefox is my main PC browser...can it run on my new Kindle Fire?
No
That is the problem. You are stuck with the browser supplied.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #18
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Are there any guides with screencaps online that show you step by step what to do to setup a content server that people outside the home network can access?? I ran into troubles trying to set this up and I figured I better stop and see if there are any tutorials or guides to follow before I break something.

Edit: The reason I need a guide is that I have a No-IP host name and I have the ports forwarded but when I type in the host name fakename.o-ip.org nothing happens, when I enter 8080 it asks for a username and password of my modem/router.

I'm not sure if I was supposed to use the external IP address I found at speedtest.net or if I'm supposed to another IP address?

I'm rather confused at this point as to how users coming to my no-ip host will be able to see my calibre content server?

Last edited by Amalthia; 02-08-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:57 AM   #19
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
Edit: The reason I need a guide is that I have a No-IP host name and I have the ports forwarded but when I type in the host name fakename.o-ip.org nothing happens, when I enter 8080 it asks for a username and password of my modem/router.
If you go to your fakename.o-ip.org:8080 and it actually is asking you for you router's username and password and not calibre's username and password then you do not have port 8080 forwarded to the computer that actually has calibre content server running on it. You need to find the IP of the computer on your network that is running the content server, something like 192.168.1.24. Once you know the IP address you need to forward port 8080 to this IP address.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #20
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Are there any guides with screencaps online that show you step by step what to do to setup a content server that people outside the home network can access?
Too many differences in routers, DDNS services, etc for that to be practical.

Do you have any network-knowledgeable acquaintances you can offer to buy pizza for if they come by and set it up for you?

Even a remote troubleshooting session might work (where they can see your computer screen on theirs) but sometimes the need to configure the router itself prevents that from being practical.

Last edited by ApK; 02-08-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #21
ApK

Quote:
No
That is the problem. You are stuck with the browser supplied.
Actually, it appears several other browsers can be side loaded, but I think I'll just turn off the password for now
I just updated Calibre last night and see that there is now a red warning next to the password field about this issue.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #22
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Are there any guides with screencaps online that show you step by step what to do to setup a content server that people outside the home network can access?? I ran into troubles trying to set this up and I figured I better stop and see if there are any tutorials or guides to follow before I break something.

I'm not sure if I was supposed to use the external IP address I found at speedtest.net or if I'm supposed to another IP address?

I'm rather confused at this point as to how users coming to my no-ip host will be able to see my calibre content server?
The following site offers guides on how to set up port forwarding on a number of different routers. Just search for your router's model.

http://portforward.com/

Also, you might want to disable or change the port number assigned to remote access on your router. You can't forward port 8080 to the Calibre content server if it's already being used by the router for remote access. Better to disable remote access if you don't need it (for security).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #23
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
If you go to your fakename.o-ip.org:8080 and it actually is asking you for you router's username and password and not calibre's username and password then you do not have port 8080 forwarded to the computer that actually has calibre content server running on it. You need to find the IP of the computer on your network that is running the content server, something like 192.168.1.24. Once you know the IP address you need to forward port 8080 to this IP address.

Good Luck.
Thanks for helping. I set up port forwarding using the address I can see for my content server on my home browser.

Now the hard part is finding someone willing test this out to see if I forwarded the ports properly.

I think the other part that is confusing is that I'm not sure how fakename.o-ip.org:8080 is redirected to http://192.168.1.137:8080/ (my calibre content server) when people click on the link.

I've attached an image of my current port forwarding configuration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	port forwarding.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	82340  
Old 02-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #24
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for helping. I set up port forwarding using the address I can see for my content server on my home browser.

Now the hard part is finding someone willing test this out to see if I forwarded the ports properly.

I think the other part that is confusing is that I'm not sure how fakename.o-ip.org:8080 is redirected to http://192.168.1.137:8080/ (my calibre content server) when people click on the link.

I've attached an image of my current port forwarding configuration.
For it to work, fake id forwards to your routers current IP address.
Port forwarding forwards to you system (192.168.1.137) from there.

192.168 range addresses are not routeable (they are class C private)
Old 02-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #25
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
For it to work, fake id forwards to your routers current IP address.
Port forwarding forwards to you system (192.168.1.137) from there.
Amalthia's router uses 8080 for router administration what ports are a good alternative for the calibre content server?

@Amalthia as ilovejedd stated you may want to use a different port for calibre then forward the new port and leave 8080 for your router administration.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-08-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #26
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Amalthia's router uses 8080 for router administration what ports are a good alternative for the calibre content server?

@Amalthia as ilovejedd stated you may want to use a different port for calibre then forward the new port and leave 8080 for your router administration.
8081-9 is usually good
some routers allow mapping
8081 goes to 192.168.1.12:8080,
8082 goes to 192.168.1.42:8080,

I my Netgear FVS328

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-08-2012 at 11:47 PM. Reason: changed my quote from router to content server. Don't want to confuse folk.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #27
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
8081-9 is usually good
some routers allow mapping
8081 goes to 192.168.1.12:8080,
8082 goes to 192.168.1.42:8080,

I my Netgear FVS328
I'll see if I can find an option to map the ports.

In the meantime I changed my Calibre content server port number to something like 37419 and in no-ip used the Port 80 Redirect option and added 37419 to it.

I also added the ports in my DSL modem router...however when I go to http://www.canyouseeme.org/ to test the port 37419 it says connection timed out.

I've tried different IP addresses and none of them work. I've tried the LAN IP Address, the IP address that Calibre is using and I'm at a loss right now.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #28
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
In the meantime I changed my Calibre content server port number to something like 37419 and in no-ip used the Port 80 Redirect option and added 37419 to it.
If you switched calibre to use port 37419 and you forward that port in your router to the calibre content server PC then simply going to fakename.no-ip.org:37419 should work.

Good Luck.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:15 AM   #29
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
If you switched calibre to use port 37419 and you forward that port in your router to the calibre content server PC then simply going to fakename.no-ip.org:37419 should work.

Good Luck.
Um would you be willing to try out the link? I can't really test it internally.

If I'm doing this right the link is now: fakename.no-ip.org:8080

I changed all the ports back to 8080....

edit: username = books

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-09-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: removing library link to possible copyrighted works
Old 02-09-2012, 01:08 AM   #30
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Um would you be willing to try out the link? I can't really test it internally.

If I'm doing this right the link is now: fakename.no-ip.org:8081
You should be able to test internally by going to the same link. It timed out for me. I just set mine up to 8081 and it works fine from my outside address. Attached is my port forwarding screen shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	port forwarding.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	82342  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-09-2012 at 07:40 PM.