Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
PhM
PhM has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PhM has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PhM has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PhM has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Exclamation Missing commands in toolbar customization

I have the following issue with the toolbar modification in Preferences: some commands (in particular "convert" and "view") that are available for the "main toolbar" are not available for the "main toolbar when a device is connected".
I do not see the reason why they should not be available when a device is connected; considering that these commands are still available on the right-click pop-up menu. Is this a bug?
PhM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhM View Post
I have the following issue with the toolbar modification in Preferences: some commands (in particular "convert" and "view") that are available for the "main toolbar" are not available for the "main toolbar when a device is connected".

Is this a bug?
I don't think this is a bug. I don't think calibre is currently setup to convert or view items that are not in the currently opened calibre library. Having these show up on the "main toolbar when a device is connected" might cause folks to think they could choose books on the device to view or convert using calibre.

You can view books anytime by clicking on the book in the cover browser.

Update: Convert and view can be added to the "main toolbar when a device is connected" toolbar, please give examples of what you're talking about.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-02-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Correcting wrong assumptions
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I don't think this is a bug. I don't think calibre is currently setup to convert or view items that are not in the currently opened calibre library. Having these show up on the "main toolbar when a device is connected" might cause folks to think they could choose books on the device to view or convert using calibre.

You can view books anytime by clicking on the book in the cover browser.
Some of the restrictions doesn't make sense to me. After transferring books to my kindle, I often make a new version of the catalog of books I keep on the device, so that it's updated as well. Some time ago I tried to add "Create catalog" to "main toolbar when a device is connected", and was I little surprised that I couldn't. I do have "Convert" showing, and using the dropdown-menu is only an extra click, so not a problem, I'm just a little curious as to why it's restricted.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
This would explain why I don't see "Send to device" on the context menu.

IMHO this is not wrong, but it could be smarter.
Send to device DOES NOT make sense if you are looking at the Device view, but does if you are in Libreary view.

Maybe the context menu could have some built in smarts that disables (greys out) when in the wrong view for that item.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
I do have "Convert" showing, and using the dropdown-menu is only an extra click, so not a problem, I'm just a little curious as to why it's restricted.
I took the OP at face value that convert and view couldn't be added, I was wrong to do so. Convert and view can both be added to the "main toolbar when a device is connected" and since create a catalog is part of the convert icon it too is available when a device is connected.

@PhM - What icons can't be added to "main toolbar when a device is connected" toolbar?

@tilia - I updated my previous post, thanks for pointing out the obvious.
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
PhM
PhM has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PhM has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PhM has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PhM has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Thank you dwanthny.

I am running version 0.8.21 under Windows 7. on the screen "the main toolbar when a device is connected", the "convert books" icon is missing. You can see on the attached screenshots that the available actions are different.

Incidently, this "convert books" icon is also missing on the screen "the menubar when a device is connected"

@tilia - I did also notice that the "Create catalogue" icon is not available. This is even more surprising since one of the options of this command is supposed to be "Send catalogue to device automatically": what is the purpose of this option if the command is unavailable when a device is connected?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.PNG
Views:	217
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	77304   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.PNG
Views:	201
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	77305  

Last edited by PhM; 10-03-2011 at 01:15 PM.
PhM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Quote:

@tilia - I did also notice that the "Create catalogue" icon is not available. This is even more surprising since one of the options of this command is supposed to be "Send catalogue to device automatically": what is the purpose of this option if the command is unavailable when a device is connected?
I don't know why it's not possible to add the catalog-icon to the the device-toolbar. That's when I most use it, and as you said you can even automatically send the generated catalog to the device.
But unlike you I have "convert books" showing so I just use that to get to it. That doesn't help you though...
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I am running version 0.8.21 under Windows 7. on the screen "the main toolbar when a device is connected", the "convert books" icon is missing. You can see on the attached screenshots that the available actions are different.
I didn't know that Windows 7 had a Windows XP theme, because the screen shots look like XP to me. Since you are missing items there is only one option left. Click on the restore defaults in the top right corner as shown in your screen shots and see if that corrects what you're seeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
I don't know why it's not possible to add the catalog-icon to the the device-toolbar.
I didn't even know there was a separate catalog icon. Learn something new everyday.