Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-23-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Post Baen's Webscriptions Service adds Sony LRF format

This is a couple of days old, but it bears a formal recognition. I was so excited about it at the time that I forgot all about announcing it.

Baen's Webscriptions service has added Sony Reader (LRF/BBeB) format as one of their downloadable formats.

Please join me in appreciating their efforts.

Also, this is a good point to note that this probably wouldn't have happened (certainly not so quickly) without the existence of libprs500, so a nod of appreciation in that direction is probably also in order.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Thanks for the info! I just went to the site and downloaded a bunch of freebies, as well as some four dollar, five dollar, and six dollar ebooks. Easy to navigate, with lots of formats...
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Baen folks really do a great job with the site. The only thing I've ever run across that doesn't work like a charm is the wishlist, it seems to lose my entries periodically. Not that big a deal: I just don't use it anymore to keep track of things I have in mind to buy.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
wmrawls
Connoisseur
wmrawls began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Dell Axim X50V
Hmmm I wonder who got this started?
wmrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
People have been asking for it pretty much since the day the PRS500 was announced, as I recall .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist

Yeah, picking a "who got it started" would be tough.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But I am happy it's finally sorted so everyone with a Sony Reader can be happy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:21 PM   #8
mjdb
Kiwi Member
mjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-books

Device: NAEB Bookeen Cybook Gen3, eBookman
If anyone is interested, here are lists of all the Webscription EBooks.

One is a huge html page (1.5 MB) with 15 links per book, including links to the Sony formats as well as all the others.

In the absence of a bulk download, If anyone with a sony reader wants to download all their Webscription eBooks in the new format, this will at least save them having to visit the page for each book individually.

http://www.bonham.net.nz/SF/Baen/WS/ws_books_dl.html - uncompressed (1.5 MB !)
Available also in the zip here
http://www.bonham.net.nz/SF/Baen/WS/ws_book_lists.zip

Along with the simple list that just links to the Book pages in Alphabetical order, and the txt lists in alpahbetical and numberical order.
http://www.bonham.net.nz/SF/Baen/WS/ws_books.html
http://www.bonham.net.nz/SF/Baen/WS/ws_books.txt

Updated to include the latest Webscriptions eBook (Subterranian Press)
http://www.webscription.net/p-820-or...s-the-key.aspx

Martin.
mjdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:38 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

Wow. Somebody put in a lot of effort to put that together. I suppose since it's alphabetical that it's probably a faster way to get to your books than going directly through the Baen site. I'm astonished anyone went to all the effort of doing it.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:31 PM   #10
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Thanks, Martin! Great work.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:40 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdb View Post
If anyone is interested, here are lists of all the Webscription EBooks.
Thank you Martin.

P.S. This post should be in its own thread under Content. I want to sticky it.

P.P.S. The file also needs to be converted into a Mobipocket ebook. That way, I could download the ebooks directly to my Kindle.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #12
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
Honor Harrington

I once asked their permission to convert the Honor Harrington series to lrf format and post it since they were allowing them out for free. I never got an answer back from them so I let it go.

Since they went the extra mile (or 3) and made lrf formats available I went and bought the entire series.

Well worth it.
TheMooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:47 PM   #13
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Yeah, picking a "who got it started" would be tough.
I won't claim to have gotten it started, but I had an email conversation with the chap responsible for the Webscriptions site back in September of last year about the possibility of getting the Free Library in Sony LRF format, and he indicated he was torn, because it would really require converting everything else in Webscriptions, too. I pointed him at the libprs utilities as possible aids in the process.

I'd like to think he took the hint.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:25 AM   #14
tgharold
Enthusiast
tgharold began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hooray!

Now if I could just get some of C. J. Cherryh's other works from the Baen website...

(When I buy a book from Baen, I usually download the MS LIT along with the HTML version. Sometimes the RTF version. That way I have the book in formats that I should be able to convert to any other format fairly easily down the road.)
tgharold is offline   Reply With Quote