Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 06:27 AM   #1
Hils
Hils began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Setting up Calibre

Hi...new to this and not the most technical person!!!

Downloaded Calibre ok but when it asked you to set up email details it all went pear-shaped! Doesn't seem to recognise my email address! Suggested setting up a Gmail account....i didnt fancy that....all sounded far too complicated....

now when I eg. try to get news.....it comes up on calibre, but says it could not email this to me!!!

Don't know how to fix this??!!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited by Hils; 08-19-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Hils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:38 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

welcome to mobileread ....

This isn't an aspect of Calibre that I have used, but it seems to be working for me on a test .... Have you double checked what you entered as your email ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
Hils
Hils began at the beginning.

How do I check that?
Hils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:54 AM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Go into [Preferences] - [Email Delivery]

Add your email address to the top box by pressing the green plus-sign.

Then repeat you email address in the 'Send email from' box.

Save Preferences by pressing OK.

Go back to your library, select a book/news (presumably with a mobi format for your Kindle).

Press [Connect/share] button and choose one of the 'email to' options.

You should get a little pop-up balloon telling you that calibre has sent the email.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I had to create a gmail account. It really wasn't hard. Now the mail to my kindle goes right through
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:08 AM   #6
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

good you managed to sort it out ...
Old 08-20-2010, 06:50 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
good you managed to sort it out ...
Positive encouragement is always good, but the OP has yet to confirm the resolution of their problem.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #8
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Positive encouragement is always good, but the OP has yet to confirm the resolution of their problem.

true, but I meant Sydney's Mum and probably in error ... :whoops:

The OP has not come back and told us the latest .... not too sure why the gmail account was necessary, though .... I don't use the facility but the test I did allowed me to use a non-gmail account.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I've been trying to get the email function to work also. I either get a time-out (with no server specified) or the following, if I enter the server info:

ERROR: Failed to email books: Failed to email the following books:

The Mystery of Khufu's Tomb

SMTP_SSL instance has no attribute 'sock'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 597, in _send_mails
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 96, in sendmail
File "lib/python2.6/smtplib.py", line 295, in connect
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 87, in _get_socket
AttributeError: SMTP_SSL instance has no attribute 'sock'

I'm using a MacBook with Apple's Mail app, if that makes any difference.

Mike
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
what settings are you using for your server (when you post, dont post your username/password)
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #11
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

I'm using:

Host: smtp.att.yahoo.com Port: 465
Username: *******@***.***
Password: ********
Encryption: SSL

Same settings that are in my email client.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Probably a bug with the SSL support, I'll add a fix to the next release, but it wont be tested as I don't have access to an SSL email server.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #13
JMikeD
Evangelist

OK, thanks.

Meanwhile, I tested it with a Gmail account and it works OK with that.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:34 AM   #14
stvno
stvno began at the beginning.

Setup email behind proxy

I have trouble to setup email for Calibre. My PC connects to internet via proxy. "Fetch news" works fine.

Mail delivery failed with message,
Email abco stvno@gmail.com
connect: (u'smtp.gmail.com', 587)
connect: (587, u'smtp.gmail.com')

Sending failed...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 116, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 170, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 103, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 303, in connect
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 281, in _get_socket
File "socket.py", line 567, in create_connection
error: [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

Did I miss anything? Is Calibre able to mail delivery through proxy?
stvno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:11 AM   #15
GeoffC

Hi

I would grey out that email link on the post, you don't want any unwanted spam (do you?)