Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-21-2010, 07:19 AM   #1
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Centering blockquotes

Does anyone know how to centre a blockquote?

I'm trying to get some text that is centred in the horizontal alignment but still have the text aligned to the left or the right.

This would be most useful for me when I've got a quote and also who quoted it with the author of the quote to the right.

Example

Code:
p.right {text-align: right;}
blockquote {width: 60%;}

<blockquote>"This is a test quote, not actually written by anyone. So I'd thought I'd use it for this example"
<p class="right">-the author.</p>
</blockquote>
The above example allows me to be able to adjust the width to align the author to the end of the text and not the edge of the screen but the blockquote is on the left.

How do I move the blockquote so it is centred?
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
This would center the whole blockquote with respect to its environment:
Code:
blockquote {margin: 0 auto; width: 60%;}
It is said that Internet Explorer has troubles with this, but that might be solved by putting a div around it with
Code:
text-align: center
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Why not this?

Code:
blockquote: { margin: 0 20%; }
(or add some vertical margin instead of the 0)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Of course it will do the same. But the other one is usually more logical with respect to style. For example when you are interested in specifying the width of the box in the first place and not so much in the exact size of the margins. Also when you want to give the size of the boxquote in absolute amounts (pixels, cm, inches) you have to use that form. So I would in general call the last for a premature optimization.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:16 AM   #5
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Thanks guys, these tips have helped solve my problem.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2014, 05:36 AM   #6
FunkeXMix
Enthusiast
FunkeXMix began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
This unfortunately does not work in ADE based readers like Bluefire and Adobe Digital Editions. The blockquote will still not be centered.
FunkeXMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:07 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
What does not work? As far as I know, "width: 60%; margin: 0 20%;" should work. The variant with auto ("width: 60%; margin: 0 auto;") apparently works in the latest Adobe engine.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote