Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
O’Reilly Drops Ebook DRM, Sees 104 Percent Increase In Sales

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/01/22...ops-ebook.html

Hmm...
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
beat them to it:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70837
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
John Bailey
Connoisseur
John Bailey doesn't litterJohn Bailey doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Simple..

Use DRM and only the people who don't understand or don;t currently care about it buy. Skip DRM and everybody can buy.

Just got an O'Riley p-book on Python. Now I'm going to give them preferential consideration when buying tech books. Not a huge thing I know, but I belive in doing as much business as possible with people who are willing to sell me what I want to buy how I want it.
John Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Looking at my bookshelf, most of my books are from Addison Wesley and O'Reilly. This is really good news; it may be time for me to try a reference book on the Sony!

(My favorite publishers tells you a lot about what I read...)

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
I think Boing-Boing should have picked their words a bit more carefully. O'Reilly didn't 'drop DRM' and see a sales increase (nor do they say so in their blog post). They simply saw a sales increase. To my knowledge, they never used DRM.

The interesting thing here is that the sales went up by large numbers in the last year, hinting that the market for ebooks is growing rapidly.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
nboshart
Connoisseur
nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
O'Reilly has always been anti-DRM. They have a great feature in that if you buy an eBook you receive all subsequent updates.

That being said, i bought both a print version and an ebook version of Head First HTML (It's a great book for beginning HTML.) and the PDF quality was horrific. Even some of the graphics in the paper version were ridiculously blurry.

But I think they do great work, overall, I just wish customer service would have responded to my email.
nboshart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
I think Boing-Boing should have picked their words a bit more carefully. O'Reilly didn't 'drop DRM' and see a sales increase (nor do they say so in their blog post). They simply saw a sales increase. To my knowledge, they never used DRM.
That's quite a major distortion of the truth on BoingBoing's part.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Partly to reward O'Reilly for their enlightened attitude (recent or not), and partly because they sent me a 40 percent off coupon because I had the book, I purchased the EBook HTML & XHTML pocket reference. I figured the pocket reference would format well on my Sony, and it does. Only problem is it is a fat little sucker - 630 pages, so searching can take a few seconds. ToC works well, and I think it will be a useful tool as I work with EPubs.

I will continue to support publishers who bring us DRM-free books we can use, and that look good on our devices.

Robert

Last edited by rmm200; 01-25-2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Typo
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote