Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-09-2010, 06:09 AM   #61
ooommm
ooommm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DX graphite
xptiger: I found interesting line in wrs.ini file. try to change the last line of that file (registrationWhiteListPattern setting) to this:
registrationWhiteListPattern = "(*.?)"
ooommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:08 AM   #62
xptiger
xptiger began at the beginning.

Device: Kiddle 3
Changing the registrationWhiteListPattern = "(*.?)" string still no luck to me
Thanks again "ooommm"
xptiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #63
syambapa
syambapa began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooommm View Post
I succeeded changing amazon's SIM card in my kindle dx graphite to my local GSM provider's sim and getting online

this is what I did:
1. changed sim card in kindle
2. commented these lines in /opt/amazon/ebook/config/browser_prefs
#settings.proxy.hostname = fints-g7g.amazon.com
#settings.proxy.portnumber = 80
#settings.proxy.sslportnumber = 80
btw, if you don't want your kindle to be recognized online as mobile device, change browser identification string in the same file to smt like this:
user_agent.base = Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; Linux 2.6.22)
3. changed DNS server's ip addresses to my GSM provider's in /etc/resolv.d/resolf.conf.3
4. changed some settings in /etc/ppp/chat/connect-3 to be compagtible with my GSM provider's settings (dialing number and AT+CGDCONT connection string)
5. rebooted kindle and thats it! internet worked

hi, how to put GSM provider's setting on it? such as dialnumber, user dan password?

i try to put them below on # startup , but still have no connection .

pls advice

add info,

i'd follow omm's instruction, but still don't know whats wrong
[QUOTE]Serial connection established.
using channel 4
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/tts/USB0
sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x96bb10ef> <pcomp> <accomp>]
rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x6 <asyncmap 0x0> <auth chap MD5> <magic 0x2c3d75f0> <pcomp> <accomp>]
sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x6 <asyncmap 0x0> <auth chap MD5> <magic 0x2c3d75f0> <pcomp> <accomp>]
rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x96bb10ef> <pcomp> <accomp>]
rcvd [LCP DiscReq id=0x7 magic=0x2c3d75f0]
rcvd [CHAP Challenge id=0x1 <e4a017e0ac4b442f7221c42c54da6f00>, name = "UMTS_CHAP_SRVR"]
sent [CHAP Response id=0x1 <1a7415e66d5a2f6ff56672e4bd6234dd>, name = "indosat"]
rcvd [CHAP Success id=0x1 ""]
CHAP authentication succeeded
CHAP authentication succeeded
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr 0.0.0.0>]
rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1 <ms-dns1 10.11.12.13> <ms-dns3 10.11.12.14> <ms-wins 10.11.12.13> <ms-wins 10.11.12.14>]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 <addr 0.0.0.0>]
Hangup (SIGHUP)
Modem hangup
Connection terminated.
/QUOTE]

Last edited by syambapa; 12-06-2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: add
syambapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:31 AM   #64
Reow
Reow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 6" 3G
FUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Come on, guys. Start messing around with the proxy and the inevitable result will be no free internet access to anything for anyone. Is it really worth it?
Harry, You seem to reply to every similar hackspace thread with this FUD. Is Amazon paying you to spread this bs, or are you doing it free of charge due to a misguided sense of misanthropy?

Nobody here is trying to defraud Amazon, they are simply trying to use hardware they own to the maximum of its capability.
Reow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:25 AM   #65
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Some people most certainly are trying to defraud Amazon. Read a few more of these threads and that will become blatantly obvious.

Putting your own SIM in a Kindle is obviously fine. What's not fine is when you get to things like trying to use the Kindle to provide tethered internet access for a PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #66
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
I just had some thoughts about Kindle tethering that could be another opportunity for Amazon.

Why the roaming data charges are so high? Because telecoms of various countries do not want to cooperate. Travelers usually solve this issue by buying a separate pre-paid SIM card for each country they visit but can it be done with one single sim card? Probably not but do we really need an actual sim card? After all a sim card only provides authentication keys that could be emulated by software. A tablet device could provide data connection specific to each network by local contracts and low local prices. In essence it would be like Skype but for 3G data.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #67
mavogs
mavogs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Hi!

I replaced the SIM card with my own one. The 3G is working, I can ping from the command line.
The browser does not work, as the proxy config seem still be on.

As I own a Kindle 3, the /opt/amazon/ebook/config/browser_prefs does not exist.

Can someone provide me a tip how to make it work?
At least browsing would be fine....
(In my country I am not able to browse at all in 3G)

BR
Martin
mavogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #68
bibiboo
bibiboo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
I am Vietnamese and the Kindle is a gift from my friend. I love it so much but in my country, Amazon 3G doesn't work. So i have try to replace AT&T sim by a 3g sim in my country. The Kindle detected 3G but I can't access to internet through Kindle's Browser. Can you help me please? I see you have some awesome ideas and experiences for this problem. Please help me. Thank u
bibiboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:47 AM   #69
mavogs
mavogs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Hi!
I also got the SIM to work and was able to use it on command line level. I was not successful in changing the browser proxy setting. I have to admit that I do not fully understand where to tweak on V3.1 firmware. The tips for pre-3.0 firmware do not apply anymore...
I would appreciate a hint...
BR
Martin
mavogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #70
mda13
mda13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I did it! Local operator SIM wors great in kindle 3 3g+wifi!
-. insert intended SIM card into you _phone_
-. remove start PIN request
-. go to connection properties and write down all of them
APN, login/password, dial #, proxyort
tariff plan: WEBbasic
dial #: *99#
init string: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","web1.velcom.by"
login/password: web/web
authentification: PAP
DHCP: yes
proxy: 10.200.15.15:8080
-. remove SIM from phone
-. on Kindle - turn Wireless OFF
-. install jailbreak
-. install usbnetwork
-. thorouly open kindle with credit card
-. replace your SIM
-. ssh to Kindle
-. mntroot rw
-. edit /etc/ppp/peers/peer-3 (add lines: user xxx debug logfile /mnt/us/pppd_log.txt; comment out line: noauth)
-. edit /etc/ppp/chat/connect-3 (init string)
-. edit /etc/ppp/pap-secrets (login/password)
-. edit /etc/resolv.d/resolv.conf.3 (nameserver 8.8.8.8 nameserver 8.8.4.4)
-. copy /etc/resolv.d/resolv.conf.3 to /etc/resolv.d/resolv.conf.2
-. edit /opt/amazon/ebook/config/ServerConfig.conf, replacing proxy port of all lines: wan.proxy.port* to our (8080) and
url.fints=10.200.15.15
-. mandatory REBOOT your Kindle

ini-file examples see in attachment.
P.S. sorry, no time for more comprehensive description
Attached Files
File Type: zip SIMreplace.INIfiles.zip (6.0 KB, 866 views)
mda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #71
khai19
khai19 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Wifi + 3G
hey guys, I might be bumping up an old thread.. apologies..

A completely new kindle prospective user here. I've got my eyes on the paperwhite 3g. But of course, I would like to use my own sim card in it as I would also like to read content from the web when I'm out of wifi coverage areas. Not sure how useful would the sim card they provide since I'm out of US anyways. So anyway just want to know if it can be done?
khai19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #72
shmalex
shmalex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
hi all

I am trying to replace sim card too on my kindle DXG;

I could not see any logs.
So i made changes like in comment #70
but the TXT file is empty. I really confused what could be wrong, (i am nube in linux). Any suggestions please?

Thanks allot for all you work.
upd: i will recheck ISP configuration maybe
shmalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #73
shmalex
shmalex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I have find out that ISP have outdated information on site (forgot to specify user password) this was the main problem. So as an advice - double check the ISP config;
shmalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #74
Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
[EDIT] Well, I just wanted to help...

Last edited by Cheshire Cat; 02-18-2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: removing link to possible copyright violation
Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #75
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If those configuration files are copyright by Amazon, please don't post links to them here.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle modifications