Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
drmaxx
Connoisseur
drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!

Device: none
Do you frequently read PDFs on your PRS600?

I did quite some research here in the forum on reading PDFs on a e-reader. And from what I understood is that the 6 inch screen are simply not the optimal size for PDFs. But on the other side, there are also benefits in having a small screen, especially when you need to haul that thing around a lot.

I would like to get some feedback from people with a PSR600 that actually do read frequently technical PDFs (with formulas, pictures and graphs). Do you get use to it? Or does it remain a pain in the neck?
It seems to me that the zoom in combination with the touch screen makes it fairly easy to move around on the document. Is that correct?

I really would appreciate your feedback - I read about several that are disappointed with this feature and would like to hear from others that actually don't mind.
drmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Its capable, and Convenient, but not an enjoyable experience.

especially if you have to move around alot. my only experience is with scanned text books, and its fairly annoying. but it can get you through the day if you want.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
All I have read are PDF's and I like it a lot. Now, I don't read "technical" manuals or whatever. Most of what I read is text and is just fine.
formerroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
dek
Enthusiast
dek began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600, iPod touch
I am used to iRex DR 1000S so that the experience with Sony PRS-600 is not as enjoyable as DR 1000S is to play with. At least, I think PRS-600 is better than Amazon Kindle DX in terms of pdf prcessing except the smaller screen of PRS-600.

The Zoom In feature of PRS-600 is very good to look around a big size page of a pdf document, but you cannot use some featurs (e.g., annotation, dictionary look up). If you increase the font size, the pdf document is converted into another format (Sometimes the converted format is not useful because the document structure is also changed so that you may miss something).

I hope Sony will comes up with a larger screen (larger than the proposed Daily Edition) ebook reader. I also hope that Amazon will add more features (e.g., touch screen) that handle pdf files better. Another hope for iRex is that they reduce the price of DR 1000S (I have one, but I need more for my colleagues and students).

Otherwise, I will wait for a PlasticLogic device next year.

Last edited by dek; 09-06-2009 at 01:47 PM.
dek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I read a lot of fiction PDFs on my 505, and expect to enjoy them even more on the 600.

A PDF in landscape mode is usually a fine size to read.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 04:07 AM   #6
drmaxx
Connoisseur
drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!

@doreenjoy and @formerroadie:
Do I understand you two correctly: You mostly read text heavy PDFs. Do you make use of reflow or do you reformat the PDFs before loading them on the reader?
Old 09-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
weg
weg began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmaxx View Post
I would like to get some feedback from people with a PSR600 that actually do read frequently technical PDFs (with formulas, pictures and graphs). Do you get use to it? Or does it remain a pain in the neck?
It seems to me that the zoom in combination with the touch screen makes it fairly easy to move around on the document. Is that correct?
Formerroadie was nice enough to post some pictures of technical PDFs in the following thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55418

Maybe those pictures help you to come to a decision (I also want to use it for reading papers and haven't made up my mind yet).
weg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
drmaxx
Connoisseur

@weg: Thanks for the very interesting link. Now I just need to know if the text actually is readable. Kind of difficult to state from the picture.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
Dragon_Well
Enthusiast
Dragon_Well began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ-reader, Sony PRS-600
This video may be helpful for you, if you haven't seen it already. I will mostly be reading pdf journal articles and texts on my reader, so I will be sure to post once I have a chance to experiment a bit.

Dragon_Well is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litter

Device: sony 600
Most of my PDFs reflow. I have a couple that don't and I have used the landscape and zoom features. Not a great option for "reading" but they work fine for me in referencing.
Grandma Aubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #11
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litter

Device: sony 600
Great Video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_Well View Post
This video may be helpful for you, if you haven't seen it already. I will mostly be reading pdf journal articles and texts on my reader, so I will be sure to post once I have a chance to experiment a bit.
Great Video - thanks!
Grandma Aubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #12
Shoily
Shoily began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi All,

I had purchased Amazon Kindle DX because it has native PDF support. But it was disappointed to me because I read PDF docs of most of which are smaller font or technical. I have just returned the Kindle and waiting for the refund to be deposited

I'm attaching one PDF and one link. Please see the attached PDF as it contains the spaces in left and right margins which caused the PDF text to be displayed small.

The link contains a PDF with two column, but its content is scanned image.

Can anyone who has access the Sony PRS-600 reader check these two files and let me know how it looks with zooming or increased font size. Screen shot attachments are greatly appreciated.

Link -
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~moore/publ...ns/fstrpos.pdf

Thanks,

Shoily
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ch01.pdf (536.7 KB, 363 views)
Shoily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #13
AlexC
Connoisseur
AlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enough

Device: Apple iPad; iRex iLiad
I took some quick snaps of your attached pdf. Didn't have time to do the same for the linked file.

Sorry for the poor quality, but these were taken hand held in poor light just as I was about to head out the door... they're not a good measure of the PRS-600 w.r.t. reflection/contrast/glare, etc.

Portrait orientation:

Portrait orientation (zoom):

Portrait orientation (zoom reflow large):

Landscape orientation:

Here are a couple on a cropped version of your pdf.

Portrait orientation (cropped pdf):

Landscape orientation (cropped pdf):

AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:52 PM   #14
R0B_IX
Enthusiast
R0B_IX began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Hey Shoily,

I just received my PRS-600 in the mail today, so I can't give you too much information on pdfs, but at the moment I am very pleased with how it displays them. For an ebook reader, I found the kindle dx to be a bit large and lacking in features. Just so you know where I'm coming from, I read mostly technical books/journals in pdf format. I gave your book a shot (sorry, my camera is horrible) and it is very readable in landscape and portrait mode. So far, I personally prefer reading in landscape mode, which basically shows you half of the page at a time.

One recommendation would be to crop books like the one you posted. There is no reason to lose screen real estate because of a giant margin. In a program like acrobat, it only takes a few seconds to do and can make a big improvement.

Cheers

R0B_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #15
AlexC
Connoisseur
AlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enough

Device: Apple iPad; iRex iLiad
One note on the PRS-600 and pdfs: it struggles mightily on files with a large number of cross references or complex indexing. I've had to strip some of my technical manuals and textbooks of internal links to make the reading experience something less than glacially slow. The built-in search makes this bearable, but it is a bit annoying.
AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote